• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Is Awana dreadful feilder or he is nervous. No matter how he bowls , he can't be in team with that kind of fielding.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say India's seam depth is non-existant if these chaps are next in line.

That fourth ball that seamed ever so slightly was the first decent ball Awana has sent down.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
meh i think your being a bit harsh on these two indian pacers. They havent been done any favours by having predetermined plans to bowl short against england players who are reasonably comfortable against that kind of stuff but those tactics are probably the dressing rooms rather than the players. fact is the game is weighted against the bowlers - it's not like englands bowlers did any better on a wicket with decent carry.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
meh i think your being a bit harsh on these two indian pacers. They havent been done any favours by having predetermined plans to bowl short against england players who are reasonably comfortable against that kind of stuff but those tactics are probably the dressing rooms rather than the players. fact is the game is weighted against the bowlers - it's not like englands bowlers did any better on a wicket with decent carry.
Nah don't buy it, even bowling short you need to hit the seam, makes the ball wobble, anmd get indifferent bounce. Comparing them to our seamers isn't saying much. Dirtbag is ****, Wright is ordinary, Meaker no good at limited overs, and Bres in shocking form.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, but while I think the standard is poor, it's not like it's not encouraged. I think there are just less spinners in comparison to what you'd get in India or Sri Lanka, meaning there are less likely to be as many good ones.

The leg spin dream is well and truly alive. In fact I'd go as far as to say that there are just as many, if not more, leg spinners than finger spinners in youth cricket in England at the moment. But Neil Pickup would be a better person to hear from, as I'm just speaking from playing experience in a small part of London.
*DIG*

Wouldn't really agree with the assertion at county level. Perhaps at club level, where you get people who think they can bowl leggies, but realistically have next to no control and will go round the park against a decent batsman.

I'd agree that selectors are always looking out for spinners more so than quicks sand it wouldn't surprise me that you'd be passed over for a slow bowler of lesser quality; it's nigh-on impossible to squeeze/control a game with seamers because of the nature of miscues/pace on the ball unless you're on a real green top. The most effective seam bowlers I've seen have had to be able to hurry batsmen for pace, or bowl with sufficient control to bring the keeper up. Mid-range swing bowlers will end up like Awana today - target practice - all the more so as kids struggle to look after the ball.

I covered a U15 county game this summer v Cumbria when we bowled 45+ overs of spin and Cumbria never looked like accelerating and catching the total. From my perspective, all the more so at the younger age groups, a good leggie can rip sides apart on his day, but a finger spinner who can bowl at a decent pace and hit his areas on a consistent basis will squeeze the life out a middle order more often than not... basically Yuvraj bowling...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Was on the cards, he looked absolutely exhausted.

Edit: FFS, why can't they send Buttler in ahead of Patel?

Last edited: