• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd go with

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Compton
Bell

I could definitely see why Root batted 6 in this match - he wasn't really selected as a permanent member as such. I think he was picked for the conditioins; Bairstow doesn't seem a very good player of spin so they probably didn't want to give him another Test in India just now, and they might have needed Root to bowl some spin too (they didn't in the end). Given that, it wouldn't have made sense to mess around with the batting order for one game - Compton could've gone from opening to batting 6 and back to opening again all within his first five Tests.

However I think he's cemented his spot for NZ with how he played in that game so with that in mind I'd be looking to re-form the batting lineup the way the players should be suited. I really like the idea of splitting up KP and Bell which is why I've gone for Compton at 5.

Regardless of the order though, that should definitely be the top 6 for NZ.
Would agree with this fully, with Bairstow as clear first reserve.

The role of sub-subsitute would then be between Morgan and Taylor, you'd figure, unless Stokes can start bringing things together big-time.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thank god I missed the last four days of the test match. seems like it was a pretty dull affair.

that jadeja no-ball though :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I rate Morgan higher than most here but he's done nowt to draw attention since he was last dropped, so picking him smacks of going around in circles.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
According to cricinfo Dhoni says that this isn't as big a low point as the 2007 WC for India. Hmm...
Vile.

"This is not even close to that" was his exact quote.

Absolutely vile.
Why is that so hard to believe? They got out in the first round in the WI. Let's face it, the way we think of Test cricket is not how the players think of it. Ganguly in the past has also said how it's WC > Tests > ODIs. In fact, if you search his past quotes he says over and over again how it's just as important to do well in your every day ODIs as it is in Tests.

And TBF, most fans also probably agree about the WC uber alles deal.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Because in the WC they were just poor over the past 18 months in tests with few exceptions they'v been utterly appalling they just give up once they get put under serious pressure by a decent team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
In 07 India went to the world cup as deservedly among the favorites, and got humiliated. In this series, regardless of the confidence the fans had in their side at home, they had just been destroyed in successive tours and slid down to three places below their opponents in the Test rankings before it began. They were then beaten in quite a close series.

In terms of under-performance, the 2007 world cup certainly seems a worse showing, and the 2011 tour to England is as well. That's probably what he's talking about. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the serious problems in the team right now.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well done to England, it was richly deserved and they've merely confirmed my notion that India would struggle badly once some of their experienced batting stars called it a day, i mean that batting order is what mainly won them games, so take that away and you're left with a weakened batting order and a bowling unit that isn't settled and keeps getting changed, it's just a recipe for disaster really,

As for the boy Root, done ok but i wouldn't be going overboard just yet, young batters have done well in India over the last few years, Kane Williamson cracked a ton on debut, Darren Bravo hit back to back tons and even little Kraigg Brathwaite who was 18 at the time got two 60 odd scores when we last toured there, personally i think Southee and Boult will give him a sterner examination than the Indian bowlers did, i don't see much difference between him and Bairstow right now tbh.