• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surprisingly good call to give Anderson MotM. Was expecting them to automatically go for the batsman who tons up as per
Yep. People who didn't watch the game will look at this scorecard and think that giving the award to a bowler who took four wickets in a draw was weird, but it was his great spell more than anything that really took India out of the game. England's second innings could've been completely different with some scoreboard pressure, not to mention the better rate India could've made those runs at if Anderson didn't dismiss Sehwag for a duck.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
2 points to Furball for the win
4-3 me in the centurion stakes
Ojha has most wickets
2-1 in series (worst I can do is a share of the point)
.5 to me for Cook's 190
.5 to me for Anderson's 6 wickets

Furball 6-3 Jono

Final tally:

1 point each for the draw
1 point to me for most centurions (6-4)
.5 points each for top series wicket taker (Ohja and Swann with 20)
1 point to me for the series win
.5 to me for Trott's 143
.5 each for Anderson and Chawla getting 4 wickets

Furball 10.5-5 Jono

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So what will the batting line up look like for the first test against New Zealand? I'd assume Root and Compton have secured places, but where will they bat?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i don't see why you would move either, yet. compton did what he had to do. root did what he had to do.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
So what will the batting line up look like for the first test against New Zealand? I'd assume Root and Compton have secured places, but where will they bat?
Compton has secured a place?

I don't think he is test class tbh, and don't think Root is ready. Both will get found out pretty quick

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it would make sense for Root to swap places with Bell actually. Two boneheaded dismissals in succession from KP and Bell is too likely if you bat them at 4 and 5. Root I think would bat better in combination with KP and it gives a better balance to the lineup. Bell is better at batting with the tail than Root (not saying much) and for that to become an issue again would be a good problem to have, considering his efforts this year.

If Bell flops again Bairstow is a straight swap at 6. The part-time option of Root is a bonus.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Compton has secured a place?

I don't think he is test class tbh, and don't think Root is ready. Both will get found out pretty quick
He hasn't been amazing, but considering the performances of England's batsmen this year, particularly in Asia, he did OK. Certainly worth preserving with, and I wouldn't say he's not test class, since he made starts in nearly every game. He's supposedly a much better player of seam than spin as well, or at least has much more scoring shots and options.

flibbertyjibber

Have to see what they want for the ashes really, do they want Compton or Root to open? Whichever one they want now should open in New Zealand to give them a few games at it first. Compton can then move to 6 or Root stay there but both would know Bairstow is waiting for a place in the side. The good news is Bopara seems a million miles away from the side now thank god.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
He hasn't been amazing, but considering the performances of England's batsmen this year, particularly in Asia, he did OK. Certainly worth preserving with, and I wouldn't say he's not test class, since he made starts in nearly every game. He's supposedly a much better player of seam than spin as well, or at least has much more scoring shots and options.
I agree he's done alright, but from what I know of both batsmen they will fail in the next few tests. Thats my prediction. Root is a good long-term option though.

Main issue is that they are both too defensive, England need at least one more attacking batsman to replace either one.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I wouldn't have played Root for this game, and wouldn't have even brought him on tour. In fact I was very surprised with how well he did. So I'l reserve judgement on him until after the NZ tour. I personally like the selection of Compton because it was made due to runs in County Cricket, much like Jonathan Trott's selection.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The opener's spot was all about forming a partnership with Cook and nothing else. In this series they managed two hundred partnerships, two fifty partnerships and only one real failure. That's more than good enough to justify future investment and certainly not poor enough to demand starting again. In hindsight there's something to say that Root should have played, but he didn't and Compton deserves better than to be thrown out now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd go with

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Compton
Bell

I could definitely see why Root batted 6 in this match - he wasn't really selected as a permanent member as such. I think he was picked for the conditioins; Bairstow doesn't seem a very good player of spin so they probably didn't want to give him another Test in India just now, and they might have needed Root to bowl some spin too (they didn't in the end). Given that, it wouldn't have made sense to mess around with the batting order for one game - Compton could've gone from opening to batting 6 and back to opening again all within his first five Tests.

However I think he's cemented his spot for NZ with how he played in that game so with that in mind I'd be looking to re-form the batting lineup the way the players should be suited. I really like the idea of splitting up KP and Bell which is why I've gone for Compton at 5.

Regardless of the order though, that should definitely be the top 6 for NZ.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd go with

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Compton
Bell

I could definitely see why Root batted 6 in this match - he wasn't really selected as a permanent member as such. I think he was picked for the conditioins; Bairstow doesn't seem a very good player of spin so they probably didn't want to give him another Test in India just now, and they might have needed Root to bowl some spin too (they didn't in the end). Given that, it wouldn't have made sense to mess around with the batting order for one game - Compton could've gone from opening to batting 6 and back to opening again all within his first five Tests.

However I think he's cemented his spot for NZ with how he played in that game so with that in mind I'd be looking to re-form the batting lineup the way the players should be suited. I really like the idea of splitting up KP and Bell which is why I've gone for Compton at 5.

Regardless of the order though, that should definitely be the top 6 for NZ.
I can definitely see sense in Root going up to open for the New Zealand series, but I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with changing something that worked reasonably well here. I'd be inclined to give Compton a go at the top of the order for New Zealand, and see how it goes. The likelihood is that one of them will fail anyway and the conundrum will solve its self. But I wouldn't complain if they went the other way.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I just noticed that India will now be playing 5 Tests in England from their next visit in 2014 onwards.

I'm all for making Test series' as long as possible so no complaints there, though it does seem that the authorities have missed the boat somewhat on that one, what with scheduling 5-match series' for the encounters directly after the sport's biggest drawcard has retired.

flibbertyjibber

Either of the PEWS or Scaly options seem fine to me, I think more of a problem is finding a fit pace attack to back up Anderson as Finn, Broad and Bresnan have all either been injured or lost form due to their injuries this year. Time for Onions?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I really think Broad shouldn't be losing his place long term. I don't think he was fully fit here, and he bowled badly with a lack of penetration as a result, but he's still very much a long term prospect and a crucial cog in the Ashes plans IMO. I'd go with him to partner Anderson and Finn in NZ, but if he really isn't to it, I'd go with Onions. I wouldn't be too against Onions playing instead of Finn either.