• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Arachnodouche

International Captain
England should play to their strengths; all this balltalk about square turners is just that. Anderson, Onions, Finn/Broad and one spinner. What chance are two spinners, one fairly mediocre if Patel is picked, going to have against ppl like Sehwag & co.? Chances are, with the sort of form the openers are in, we'll be one or two down more often than not if the English quickies get their act together. Make do with KP to rest the seamers; India is fairly cool at this time of the year anyway.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Patel plays imo because England think he is in their top 6 batsmen in these conditions. I wouldn't disagree. On a seperate note he isn't a good fielder but he is lightyears ahead of Monty.

If England win the toss (and bat) they have a chance. If they don't they almost certainly lose imo.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Patel plays imo because England think he is in their top 6 batsmen in these conditions. I wouldn't disagree. On a seperate note he isn't a good fielder but he is lightyears ahead of Monty.

If England win the toss (and bat) they have a chance. If they don't they almost certainly lose imo.
Indeed.

It's all getting a bit circular this argument.

Hey what's new. I'm 95% certain of what the side will be. It's got a decent balance, but I guess the Patel pick is critical, because he gives us that balance, but ihe could very possibly be useless.

Five bowlers is silly IMHO, as our batsmen where what failed in UAE, two seamers leaves us stretched if the ball starts reversing and doesn't spin much. 3 seamers with JB means we only have 4 bowlers with Swann not playing in a bit, or Broad carrying an injury.

They'll go safe, they'll go Samit. They do believe him to be a good player of spin, we'll see over the next two matches.

Should be said that in his last Test Match Patel bowled 41 overs at just over 2 an over, and certainly helped create pressure for Swann to win the match.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Really don't see the value of picking two spinners if its gonna turn square then KP and Patel will be able to do the damage with Swann. IF its not gonna be a rank turner then there's not much point playing 2 frontline spinners either because India play spin far better than they do pace.

Bresnan Broad and Jimmeh will be the seamers with Swann as the frontline spinner I reckon.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't disagree with your point VT it is just with the fitness doubt over Broad they may consider an extra spinner instead of Onions coming in. I'd be surprised now though if we don't go in with the attack that beat India over here of Anderson, Broad, Bresnan and Swann with Fatit and KP adding extra spin options as and when needed.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Prediction Time::

If India bat's first we may score around 340+/- for 5 at the end of the day

If England Bat's first it may be something like 290+/- for 3 :)

stumpski

International Captain
Planning to watch from the start, but watching in bed means I won't be on-line. Going to have to force myself to get up I think, coffee will be needed and I have to leave early (by 5.30) in any case.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way am I going to make the first session, will try and wake up by the end of lunch. Not good for my sleeping pattern having this and Australia v South Africa at the same time.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just came across this stat - India has not lost an home test series for eight and a half years since last beaten by the all conquering Australians in 2004. I know this might not be an all-time record or anything but it's an amazing feat for a test nation which not only plays a solid amount of test cricket but also one which has been for most of those nine years one with many glaring loopholes.

Looking forward to catching the start tomorrow, Can only watch three days after which I have to fly to Delhi and then work begins for the next 30 days and the Supreme Court lawyer under whom I am working told me that he has three ground rules - 1. There are no timings in litigation, 2. There are no sundays in litigation, 3. There are no sick leaves in litigation. Sounds very fun. :(

Last edited: