• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
(thinking about it in depth now- we fans often forget that we have made no contribution whatsoever, so there's really no real reason to feel overjoyed or dejected.
we are a bunch of ****s wasting our time or getting entertained watching others win or lose, make $$$$ and have a reasonably good time playing sports).
How involved in grass-roots cricket does someone need to be before they can legitimately say "we", then?

centurymaker

International Captain
Delighted to do so. I think my brain utterly rejected the hypothesis of the pitch turning into an absolute road on the grounds that it made no sense whatsoever for India to produce such a wicket for a must-win game... c'est la vie...
yeah, it's almost like some inner party wanted india to lose the series #conspiracy :laugh:

centurymaker

International Captain
How involved in grass-roots cricket does someone need to be before they can legitimately say "we", then?
upto you to decide. :laugh:

i for one don't use 'we' for india.

& I was hoping for england to not lose wickets in fear of getting my prediction horribly wrong, although the prediction was half in jest, :shy:
thanks to pews
:laugh:

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would have been understandable had they come out to bat with quick runs in mind, without bothering if they lost wickets in the process. To everyone's shock, though, R Ashwin began the day turning down singles, which he had been doing in Kolkata too before hitting boundaries when the field came up towards the end of the over. Back then, though, England were going after wickets. Only the naïve would expect them to bring the field up in this situation.

Brace up for this. Hold on to your armchairs, for you might fall off them: India did expect just the same from England. "The same as the last game," Ashwin said of refusing singles. "Looking for the last two balls for the fielders to come in. They had a different strategy [this time]. They didn't bring the fielders up. After two overs we decided to take the singles."
India v England, 4th Test, Nagpur, 4th day : Sidharth Monga: India, waiting and hoping | Cricket Features | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I don't really understand the problems with that. David Lloyd said he didn't think Trott should have done it either. As far as I see it, it's just a bad ball, albeit a really bad one that is unusual.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As far as I see it, it's just a bad ball, albeit a really bad one that is unusual.
exactly.

It's not as if anyone ever tries to bowl longhops or wide half volley's, so I don't get the "it slipped out of his hand' thing. He executed poorly and was punished. Maybe he executes the next one brilliantly and it's a unplayable delivery that takes a wicket

Besides, it's only 4 runs. Not the end of the world.

stumpski

International Captain
Storm-in-teacup stuff, given that Dhoni and Jadeja were laughing when it happened. They weren't bothered, so I'm not sure why Ashwin should've been.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Delighted to do so. I think my brain utterly rejected the hypothesis of the pitch turning into an absolute road on the grounds that it made no sense whatsoever for India to produce such a wicket for a must-win game... c'est la vie...
:laugh:

Fair play.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why was Ashwin whining about Trott hitting Jadeja's mystery ball for four?
The same reason England whined when Bell was run out at Trent Bridge I imagine :ph34r:

Dhoni found it funny. But maybe he was just laughing at how in less than 2 years he has fallen from on top of the world to having to keep to a ball that bounces 10 times.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Storm-in-teacup stuff, given that Dhoni and Jadeja were laughing when it happened. They weren't bothered, so I'm not sure why Ashwin should've been.
Quite.

And if there's a batsman in world cricket who you should know it's not worth sledging or trying to wind up it's yer man Trott. The man lives in his own little world when he's batting.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I don't really understand the problems with that. David Lloyd said he didn't think Trott should have done it either. As far as I see it, it's just a bad ball, albeit a really bad one that is unusual.
If Trott hadn't gone and smacked it to the boundary it would have went for four byes anyway :ph34r:

Actually 5 wides. He did them a favour.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Should have walked over and played a really exaggerated forward defense to it, IMO.

That or circle it a couple of times, picking an obscure area of the field to hit it to.