Cricket Player Manager
Page 410 of 675 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412420460510 ... LastLast
Results 6,136 to 6,150 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

  1. #6136
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    I've been asking myself so why is Dhoni in the team? Is it for batting, w.keeping, captaincy? What is it? Is it mainly because of his experience more than anything else that he's holding the place in the current team atm? Can India afford another new face in the team? A test team particularly still needs some experienced players in the mix. Dhoni gives them this balance (plus captaincy factor) and holding his place despite poor show or is he just this influential that no one got ***** to drop him. But for how long? I think India missed a massive opportunity by not replacing Dhoni as soon as in New Zealand series. A new captain and w.keeper would have got right space to get things straight beginning from NZ series @ home.
    Who is the replacement for Dhoni? Is there a wicket keeper banging on the door?

    Don't think I've ever held out hope for Dhoni as a pure batsman, but I do think his batting has exceeded expectations and for a keeper batsman he may well be 2nd best in the world to Prior(not counting ABD who I fully expect to not hold on to the gloves for much longer)? As far as his keeping is concerned, has he been dropping a considerable amount of catches or conceding byes that are costing his team? My personal opinion is that he isn't the problem in this Indian side.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  2. #6137
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    Either way, simple fact is in no job could you reside as leader over 4-0 4-0 and then possibly 3-1 or 2-1 at home and keep your job.

    It seems that he refuses to stand down though (and all the credit to him, you can't accuse him of not giving a ****) so it will take the selectors/board sacking him I think.

  3. #6138
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    Re Zaheer, isn't it obvious? He was dropped because of fitness/attitude and also the fact he's old now and has very little to offer India in the future.

    Its a brave move, but it may be the right one. Whether it should have been done after the series is a reasonable point, but at some stage India have to move on. They've made a statement by dropping Zaheer. I don't think any selector or Dhoni actually thinks Ishant is better than him, or Dinda. But they are sick of fielding questions about how fat and unfit and **** a fielder he is. Plus his cbf batting over the last 18 months is unacceptable from a leader.

  4. #6139
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Dare I say it, but I feel that Tendulkar at this stage of his career would prefer batting on decks with true bounce (even if there is swing and seam) rather than slow and low turners, I think likes the ball coming onto the bat more, it's interesting actually but I feel Kohli is also similar in that regard, not that I think that they can't play on slow and low wickets but they'd prefer to bat on grounds with bounce and pace.
    say what you like but even tendulkar is probably now aware that if india lose and he fails yet again, he'll have to give-up tests at the very least. (there will be no farewell just like dravid and laxman)

    the fact that the selectors have dropped the bowling 'demi-god' zaheer before the series decider is a clear signal to ones not performing that they too will be left out sooner rather than later if they continue in the same vein.

    woud be terrific if they left out gambhir from the starting XI in the next game.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks


  5. #6140
    International Debutant shankar's Avatar
    3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Dare I say it, but I feel that Tendulkar at this stage of his career would prefer batting on decks with true bounce (even if there is swing and seam) rather than slow and low turners, I think likes the ball coming onto the bat more, it's interesting actually but I feel Kohli is also similar in that regard, not that I think that they can't play on slow and low wickets but they'd prefer to bat on grounds with bounce and pace.
    Don't know if that's true about Kohli, but that's a good point re: Tendulkar.

  6. #6141
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Either way, simple fact is in no job could you reside as leader over 4-0 4-0 and then possibly 3-1 or 2-1 at home and keep your job.

    It seems that he refuses to stand down though (and all the credit to him, you can't accuse him of not giving a ****) so it will take the selectors/board sacking him I think.
    I agree with you that, if India should lose the series (and I do not think this should be considered a certainty yet), that Dhoni should lose his job as captain. Though should he be left out of the side altogether? Maybe, but again who is the replacement?

  7. #6142
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Who is the replacement for Dhoni? Is there a wicket keeper banging on the door?

    Don't think I've ever held out hope for Dhoni as a pure batsman, but I do think his batting has exceeded expectations and for a keeper batsman he may well be 2nd best in the world to Prior(not counting ABD who I fully expect to not hold on to the gloves for much longer)? As far as his keeping is concerned, has he been dropping a considerable amount of catches or conceding byes that are costing his team? My personal opinion is that he isn't the problem in this Indian side.
    I'd say WRiddhiman Saha who seems to be havinga good first class season as well.

    The biggest problem(oout of several big ones) I think facing the selectors is you relieve the captaincy off DHoni - who would you give it to ?
    Personally think Sehwag would be a worse option and Kohli hasn'te established himself in the test side.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

    Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

  8. #6143
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    woud be terrific if they left out gambhir from the starting XI in the next game.
    Going to go the other way - personally, I think that Sehwag is the one holding them back. Whatever way you want to look at it, the guy has been abysmal abroad (outside of subcontinent) for a LOOONG time now and at 34 I actually think hes gotten worse. He's also shown little inclination to work on his game and seems to merely assume that he can play exactly the same way all over the world simply because thats how his game is. Ultimately, is it worth having a guy who COULD swing the odd game at home, or is it better to invest in the future and get someone who may actually have the potential for many years of service to the Indian team? I'm not sure where India are playing on their next overseas tour, but I can guarantee that Sehwag will not score very many runs there.

  9. #6144
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    I'd say WRiddhiman Saha who seems to be havinga good first class season as well.

    The biggest problem(oout of several big ones) I think facing the selectors is you relieve the captaincy off DHoni - who would you give it to ?
    Personally think Sehwag would be a worse option and Kohli hasn'te established himself in the test side.
    Yeah you are right, it isnt the time for either to be captain. I'd actually be more tempted to give it to Ravichandra Ashwin though I do not think he has had much in the way of leadership experience on his way to the Indian team.

  10. #6145
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    You do have a point. In Pakistan the captain motivates the players by threatening to kick them out
    I thought most of the 'motivation' came from the captain's epiphrene stash.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

  11. #6146
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    If India had a few "easier" series you could see Kohli, Pujara or Ashwin being given captaincy. But they have Aust at home, which won't be easy by any stretch, then a lot of away series.

    Lamb to the slaughter.

  12. #6147
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,953
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Yeah you are right, it isnt the time for either to be captain. I'd actually be more tempted to give it to Ravichandra Ashwin though I do not think he has had much in the way of leadership experience on his way to the Indian team.
    He's another one who shouldn't be taking his place for granted, let alone be considered as captain. Truthfully, I don't think there is a single person on that team right now that picks himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  13. #6148
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,515
    Pujara.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  14. #6149
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    ITT: India A would be more internationally competitive.

  15. #6150
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    I touched on all these issues and more in my critically acclaimed Indian cricket test series report & analysis.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. highest 50+ scores, percentage(ODIS)
    By Indusriver in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18-08-2011, 03:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •