Page 391 of 675 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401441491 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,865 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I raised the option of pulling a South Africa ala Graeme Smith with Kohli, but you don't feed the new captain to the wolves.

If we were going to name a new captain it had to be when they at least were not going to have 6/7 new players.

Zaheer, Dhoni, Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj are all near the end of their career or near the end of whether they will be in the team. That is too many newbies to feed Kohli a bunch of losses whilst he's trying to establish himself.

I was for Kohli being captain, and if he was given it I wouldn't be upset. But now that he's tryin to establish himself as a batsman and going through a bad series, not worth killing him with a team of n00bs. Same with Pujara.

Stop-gap needs to be implemented.
    It'd just be deferring the problem, IMHO.

Get someone in without the stench of failure hanging around them.

Ashwin and Pujara both look like 100+ test players from this vantage point (Kohli too, probably, although he does look quite boom and bust if the evidence of this series is anything to go by); take a punt on the future.

Sehwag is 34 (IIRC) and doesn't seem to have a captain's mindset and (whilst acknowledging I'm not a fan of his) Gambhir has enough on his plate just keeping in the side.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Hey Jono whats up with your boy Kohli? Haven't seen any match footage but he's not doing as well as ODI's. Is he just another Yuvraj?

Kohli's got the game to succeed in Tests already. If he doesn't then it's in his head. I certainly never said that about Yuvraj.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by shankar View Post
    Yeah, it's silly to claim he was never any good. He's been handled extremely poorly by the selectors who've kept picking him at times when it was clear that he needed to go back to domestic cricket and work on his game. After a terrible England tour and a home series against WI where he averaged 60 (a rookie Yadav averaged 25) he was inexplicably picked for the Australian tour. Again before this series, he'd just been making a comeback in domestic cricket trying to change his bowling and get back his swing. He hadn't picked up wickets on a very bowler-friendly pitch in the ranji match before he was selected for this series.

It's this kind of ridiculous, ad-hoc selectorial policy that's been at the core of making a difficult transition period for the team as bad as possible.
    All well and good until you consider that the administration/team's mindset has been to deny that they're in transition at all.

Frankly, "in denial" is a good buzzword descriptor of Indian cricket since the middle of last year.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

sli
    Cricket Spectator
    i don't know why some of you guys want mishra in the team i would prefer chawla or murali karthik

can't believe people saying Ishant did not have the base to be a good bowler Pace, bounce , stamina ,decent accuracy and could generate awkward seam movement at times not to far from current Steve Finn imo he has really regressed as a bowler but till around 2010 he looked the goods.
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 08-12-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    All well and good until you consider that the administration/team's mindset has been to deny that they're in transition at all.

Frankly, "in denial" is a good buzzword descriptor of Indian cricket since the middle of last year.
    Yeah, nail on the head.

It's been very much a case of "wait until you get to our house" since the twin whitewashs and now...

I mean it's England playing spin in Asia. That's a gimme, surely?

I think the financial power of the BCCI has created a generation of yes men who don't want to rock the boat and ask the hard questions.

sli
    Cricket Spectator
    have to drop kholi and yuvraj im sorry but they are not performing, Rahane and ravindera jadeja in the team and also the bowling z khan and ojah out

3 Card Poker Champion!

Of course. Wasn't saying that was the only reason. The adhoc selections are earlier than the Eng-Aus debacle.

As for Sharma, the guy has ticker, sure, but he has to be one of the stupider bowlers I've seen. It's not a Mitchell Johnson-style "doesn't know where the ball will go once it leaves the hand", it's more a "doesn't know what he's actually trying to achieve once the ball leaves the hand" (which in some ways is just as bad). Just seems to have no understanding of the subtleties of bowling, just runs up and lets it go.

I mean, the guy can bowl some good spells and I can't really fault his effort, but he just doesn't seem to get how to get good batsmen out. If he bowls a good spell that results in a wicket, it's almost by accident.
    Last edited by Spark; 08-12-2012 at 06:38 AM.

As for Sharma, the guy has ticker, sure, but he has to be one of the stupider bowlers I've seen. It's not a Mitchell Johnson-style "doesn't know where the ball will go once it leaves the hand", it's more a "doesn't know what he's actually trying to achieve once the ball leaves the hand". Just seems to have no understanding of the subtleties of bowling, just runs up and lets it go.
    haha...yeah even more strange then Sami atleast with Sami you know he has issues with radar unless he sorts his accuracy out he may never do anything, Ishant accuracy is pretty alright but yet still the results are never to be seen

Ishant Sharma

[ ] Does something with the ball
    [x] Still bowls short pies

3 Card Poker Champion!
    As for Sharma, the guy has ticker, sure, but he has to be one of the stupider bowlers I've seen. It's not a Mitchell Johnson-style "doesn't know where the ball will go once it leaves the hand", it's more a "doesn't know what he's actually trying to achieve once the ball leaves the hand". Just seems to have no understanding of the subtleties of bowling, just runs up and lets it go.
    That's more applicable to the likes of Sreesanth who would swing the ball and yet waste it. But if you can't get any movement at all and can just get it across 22 yards at some pace, what can you do?

In all fairness to Sharma he is only playing because Yadav's broken and Harbhajan is gone.

Has the equipment (and the heart, IMHO) but needs to be honed.

Will never happen now with the IPL $$$s, but I think a season of CC would be the making of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Ishant Sharma

[ ] Does something with the ball
    [x] Still bowls short pies
    OK hero I will take your predictions for these blokes and will hold you for it somewhere down the line.

Umer Akmal
    Pat Cummins
    Faf Du Plesis
    Usman Khwaja
    Umesh Yadav

Thread Information