• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is my far my favourite series of the year!! Loving every bit of it..This series highlighted why I love test cricket so much

I wanted England to do well in India.. I wanted them to destory the myth that they cannot play spin..They did
I wanted Pietersen to do well and destroy the myth that he cannot play left arm spin or in the subcontinent and establish that he is the best batsman today..he did.
I wanted Cook to do well as a captain and batsman..he did
I wanted the over hyped Indian spinners to be exposed as ordinary..they were.
I wanted Kohli to do well and show he is world class, not just in ODIs but Test too..and what an innings he played..a man who can chase 320 in 40 over and take 90 off the so called best ODI bowler in the world bats a whole day to score 103 runs..what a batsman, what talent! Can't wait for him to become the number 1 batsman in the world
I wanted Dhoni to perform and shut all the two faced fans and writers and journalists..who when Dhoni is doing well describe him as unflappable and calm, but when he is doing poorly, will describe the same man as indifferent and doesn't care about Test cricket and India.. these people who change their tune based on the result are the real scum of the Earth

At the beginning of the series, I wanted England to win..especially after the way Cook fought in the first test match..but now with Dhoni and Kohli fighting the way they did..I kind of want them to level this series!! Ah Test cricket :wub:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is my far my favourite series of the year!! Loving every bit of it..This series highlighted why I love test cricket so much

I wanted England to do well in India.. I wanted them to destory the myth that they cannot play spin..They did
I wanted Pietersen to do well and destroy the myth that he cannot play left arm spin or in the subcontinent and establish that he is the best batsman today..he did.
I wanted Cook to do well as a captain and batsman..he did
I wanted the over hyped Indian spinners to be exposed as ordinary..they were.
I wanted Kohli to do well and show he is world class, not just in ODIs but Test too..and what an innings he played..a man who can chase 320 in 40 over and take 90 off the so called best ODI bowler in the world bats a whole day to score 103 runs..what a batsman, what talent! Can't wait for him to become the number 1 batsman in the world
I wanted Dhoni to perform and shut all the two faced fans and writers and journalists..who when Dhoni is doing well describe him as unflappable and calm, but when he is doing poorly, will describe the same man as indifferent and doesn't care about Test cricket and India.. these people who change their tune based on the result are the real scum of the Earth

At the beginning of the series, I wanted England to win..especially after the way Cook fought in the first test match..but now with Dhoni and Kohli fighting the way they did..I kind of want them to level this series!! Ah Test cricket :wub:
nah, he's not the best batsman in the England team, and pales before the likes of Kallis and Clarke:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why sacrifice runs? There's only 2 wickets in hand, Ashwin may as well have a swing and try and reduce the deficit further.

They aren't losing time by batting on, they're reducing what they will potentially have to chase. It doesn't help them much at all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe not overnight, but I don't think declaring behind would be the worst move in the world.

It could conceivably take India a session to eke out a 30 run lead, which IMO suits England more than India. If I was Dhoni and either the pitch started playing funny buggers or the score was crawling along at 1-2 rpo, I wouldn't hesitate in declaring behind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think they'll bat a session for 30 runs. I'm sure Ashwin will farm the strike and try and hit boundaries today.

Chawla's wicket could be a blessing in that sense.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think they'll bat a session for 30 runs.
I don't either. I said a 30 run lead, which requires India to score 60 runs :p

Going by the way this match has gone, scoring 60 runs could easily take the best part of a session.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep, because when Clarke scores a few hundreds against India it's meaningless, but when KP does it automatically makes him the best batsman in the world (despite the fact that Cook did it twice more).

Not to mention that I think Amla is the best batsman in the world, not Clarke. But hey, don't let those simple things get in the way of those blinkers of yours

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, because when Clarke scores a few hundreds against India it's meaningless, but when KP does it automatically makes him the best batsman in the world (despite the fact that Cook did it twice more).

Not to mention that I think Amla is the best batsman in the world, not Clarke. But hey, don't let those simple things get in the way of those blinkers of yours
Yeah and KP has never scored hundreds against anyone other than India...let alone Warne Murali, Akhtar, McGrath..because cricket only started in 2011..we will only talk about 2011 onwards and anyone who has achieved anything prior to that or failed prior to that doesn't count!

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
You said that this series "proves" KP is the best batsman in the world. So either he was already the best batsman in the world (which is ridiculous in itself when you consider that Sanga and Kallis exist) or that his innings at Kolkata makes him the best batsman in the world (which is also ridiculous for obvious reasons).

Take your pick.

But of course, you did neither and made a completely irrelevant straw man instead.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You said that this series "proves" KP is the best batsman in the world. So either he was already the best batsman in the world (which is ridiculous in itself when you consider that Sanga and Kallis exist) or that his innings at Kolkata makes him the best batsman in the world (which is also ridiculous for obvious reasons).

Take your pick.
Well for me KP has been the best since 2005 when I first saw him..its just that he didn't have the records and achievements to back that up.. with every year as he is accomplishing different things, he is establishing that point! Prior to the indian series, the dumbos would say Pietersen has not scored in India, Pietersen cannot play left arm spin..so now the dumbos wouldn't be able to resort to that!! That's what I meant by establishing that he is the best!

I have the same assessment of Kohli.. Kohli in my eyes is right up there, among the best but obviously for him to establish himself as the best, he has to achieve much more and I want him to do that..like scoring more Test centuries as he plays more Test cricket!

As for Kallis and Sanga,.I never said Kallis and Sanga are rubbish.. Kallis and Sanga are among the best batsmen today too..if you ask me my personal preference, I think Pietersen is slightly better than both but as of now, his career accomplishments aren't enough to make that argument, especially not against Kallis..so I won't..but if you say currently, yes I think he is the best..like you think currently Amla is the best..but career wise Kallis and Sanga have achieved more!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Ojha got a promotion ahead of Ishant. Interesting.

Ganguly saying that both umpires told him that the wicket is getting better for batting as the match goes on.