• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, probably, on the basis that it only takes one decent ball or one mistimed shot to get a batsman out. That's the paradox of batting: takes a ****load of work to make a decent innings and a tenth of a second's misjudgment (if that) to end it all.

I think "form" over, say, 2-3 Tests is a bit misleading unless someone does a Shaun Marsh (or, for that matter, an Alastair Cook). But over, say, 10 Tests? You'd get a pretty good idea. Year-by-year averages are usually fairly representative.
to add to this:

It's also the manner of dismissals that tells you something about "form", in a way. Kohli had done worse than Sachin over the series, but that's because he kept playing idiotic shots, whilst Sachin genuinely looked like he could barely buy a run - even at Kolkata you always felt that he could well get out on the very next ball. I didn't say it at the time but that's why Amla, despite having a poor-to-mediocre run of scores through the middle of the recently concluded series, always looked on the verge of a massive score once he stopped finding ways to get out. On the other hand, Rob "greatest 9 ever" Quiney had a really obvious weakness blatantly exposed by what you'd call decent bowling, so despite the fact that it was only two innings, it was pretty obvious that he simply wasn't up to scratch at that stage.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Nah, form is more than just confidence. As a batsman, it comes down to decisions that have to be made in the fraction of a second. When you're in good form, those decisions are made at precise instants which translates into good timing and the ball hitting the middle. When you're out of form or when your skills start waning, you miss those precise moments and can't get the ball off the square. In Sachin's case, it's hard to say which of the two applies but considering his age, it's likelier that he's in terminal decline.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah Sachin is more a terminal decline I have seen the great man batting with a low string of scores behind but as soon as he would get in suddenly everything would get going now even if he gets a score as well he looks absolutely woeful at the crease.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Watching him walk off yesterday was rather painful. The camera panned onto his face and you could see so many emotions playing out. For 23 years, he's been the one constant while the country has metamorphosed and developed. I love ragging on him but I doubt many foreigners realize what he means to India. I wish he hits a hundred in the second innings and signs off for good.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Dhoni unlucky :( One of the few innings of his that I actually rate. Gun. (Kohli WAG obv)

Like PEWS, don't think he should play tests either - so would he get an extended run as captain courtesy this innings?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
india has really hit rock bottom...and why is sachin hanging around like this? please retire...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yesterday is why I love Test cricket. Side under pressure has a few good sessions and the entire series comes back in line again. Then they have a bad half an hour and all the momentum shifts again. You don't see that in other formats, or even other sports that don't last this long.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I wish he hits a hundred in the second innings and signs off for good.
no, no,
just no
i hope the match doesn't even get to that stage. forget unrealistic fairytale endings

i would love england to crumble and then the top 3 to do most of the scoring in the 4th innings.

2 down = 4 down nowadays (2-3 wickets fall in no time)

think he'll get under 20. his footwork is a mess now and it might be because he's not spotting the ball well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There will be, the pitch is going to turn into a minefield last day and a half
That's the hope, isn't it. That England will have the better of conditions in the time that's left and be able to bat their way out of reach. Although if Ishant or anyone else removes Cook and couple of others before lunch tomorrow then the state of the pitch on Day 5 won't be much of a factor.

Fascinating match to follow, even if it's been less so to watch most of the time. Perhaps this will be the time when Bell stands up to be counted. More realistically, a couple of big innings from two of Cook, Trott and KP would be very welcome indeed. Strauss was often handy in these situations actually.

Beyond that, do we reckon that Bresnan will finish with more runs or wickets in the match? There must be a chance of him finishing with none of either, which may be a first for an opening bowler who's supposed to be able to bat a bit.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Beyond that, do we reckon that Bresnan will finish with more runs or wickets in the match? There must be a chance of him finishing with none of either, which may be a first for an opening bowler who's supposed to be able to bat a bit.
Looking a bit of a spent force, sadly, isn't he?

George Dobell points out on cricinfo that since his comeback he averages 55 with the ball and 17 with the bat.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just don't see it being a minefield it's too slow to be that, it may even get less easy to score on. I reckon Cooky will score a 20 not out in 7 hours.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
we shouldn't really get a result in another 6 sessions on THIS pitch imho.

having said that, if do somehow get it, then in all likelihood the losing team will have choked.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
I expect TT Bresnan to be very dangerous in the fourth innings on this pitch. Big LBW threat. Hope no Indian batters are reading this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
we shouldn't really get a result in another 6 sessions on THIS pitch imho.

having said that, if do somehow get it, then in all likelihood the losing team will have choked.
India are 2-1 down, so they need the result. They could definitely lose here as a byproduct of going all out for the win without it being a choke.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India are 2-1 down, so they need the result. They could definitely lose here as a byproduct of going all out for the win without it being a choke.

Yes, good point, actually the original definition of a choke is someone not having the bottle to go for a win then failing through negativity. So if India lose it would almost certainly be the opposite.