• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Have to agree with Dravid on Panesar. Feel like he will be a far more threatening bowling option than Patel. I reckon he could easily outbowl Swann.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly, Patel is in as primarily a batsmen.

Now where have we had this conversation before...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to agree with Dravid on Panesar. Feel like he will be a far more threatening bowling option than Patel. I reckon he could easily outbowl Swann.
I thought Dravid was trying to get England to screw themselves over by playing a complete waste of space.

Donkey averages over 50 in India, over 50 in Sri Lanka and over 50 in West Indies.

Unless you get a minefield he's going to be entirely useless on any other pitch served up by India against a team who don't play spin badly.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I thought Dravid was trying to get England to screw themselves over by playing a complete waste of space.

Donkey averages over 50 in India, over 50 in Sri Lanka and over 50 in West Indies.

Unless you get a minefield he's going to be entirely useless on any other pitch served up by India against a team who don't play spin badly.
Call it a hunch, but IMO having a spin attack which turns it both ways is key. I just feel like Panesar could be really dangerous (particularly if they play on minefields, which they probably will), and Patel is going to totally flop.

Scaly piscine

Call it a hunch, but IMO having a spin attack which turns it both ways is key. I just feel like Panesar could be really dangerous (particularly if they play on minefields, which they probably will), and Patel is going to totally flop.
I doubt it, a minefield would level the playing field. A typical slow turner is far more advantageous to India.

Having bowlers who aren't complete useless is key. Patel or Panesar will both struggle heavily. Picking Panesar in a 4 man attack would be like waving the white flag. If Patel plays it's because he can bat.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Whom would you pick to partner Ashwin? Harbhajan's been patchy, while Ojha's been in rather poor form across formats. Either of them would benefit by spin-friendly pitches that make Yuvraj Singh competitive- and his contribution with the ball is also critical.

smash84

The Tiger King
I doubt it, a minefield would level the playing field. A typical slow turner is far more advantageous to India.

Having bowlers who aren't complete useless is key. Patel or Panesar will both struggle heavily. Picking Panesar in a 4 man attack would be like waving the white flag. If Patel plays it's because he can bat.
Panesar wasn't so bad in the UAE so it could be that given the right pitches he might click

Howe_zat

Audio File
Can't say I rate Patel's bowling much, I think giving the Indians a spinner of his ilk to face would be playing into their hands. Hope he proves me wrong, but I'd rather he not bowl more than a handful of overs each game.

Scaly piscine

Panesar wasn't so bad in the UAE so it could be that given the right pitches he might click
Was up against Pakistan. That's the key difference. They can't play him for toffee, India can.

Panesar is purely a horses for courses guy because he bowls almost entirely the same way regardless of anything else.

England have missed a trick by not including Napier in the Test squad! He's is the kind of player that has a T20 hundred and can pack a punch, SR is absolutely essential these days to being a top quality test batsman Napier would have given you guys that impetus! Looking at your top order that is now lacking!

grecian

England have missed a trick by not including Napier in the Test squad! He's is the kind of player that has a T20 hundred and can pack a punch, SR is absolutely essential these days to being a top quality test batsman Napier would have given you guys that impetus! Looking at your top order that is now lacking!
Good point, welcome to the site :0

I agree TBH, him and Trego are clearly what we need, bit of blackwell too, and we'd be sorted. It's clearly the masterplan.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
Got to be Monty over Patel.

They are spinners and picked primarily to get wickets. Monty is much more likely to do that!

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Got to be Monty over Patel.

They are spinners and picked primarily to get wickets. Monty is much more likely to do that!
Patel is a top 7 batsmen, not a player primarily to get wickets.

If you went in with Panesar over Patel, you'd have Bres at 7 and Broad at 8. For a side whose main concern is their dodgy batting in Asia, that's a heck of a long tail.

Why would I be joking about a player of the calibre of Napier?? The guy has a T20 hundred at Chlemsford! As I say he knows how to pack a punch!

Cook may get some runs if he gets past the new ball but he's going to do it with a slow strike rate and I feel that we will always be able to control the game with him there! That is why England really could do with picking a Napier type player as SR in the modern game is as essential ingredient to being a complete player.