Page 371 of 675 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381421471 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

  1. #5551
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    The **** is going on?
    India are "batting".
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #5552
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    But what does where the fielder took the ball have to do with the edge though?

    If that had carried further and Trott took a more obvious catch then Gambhir would have been out. That would be a travesty

    I'm happy with the end result but the process is ridiculous. If you can trust it there why you can't you trust it everywhere else?
    Yeah that strikes me as bizarre.

    However, I'm sure something very similar happened during the 09 Ashes with Ponting. Though there it was given out anyway, to the confusion of everyone...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  3. #5553
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,987
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    He wasn't looking that good in the first dig for the first 30-40 runs was he?
    Yes but Tendulkar is playing for India, and himself, not playing for some legacy in 30 years.

    He's still one of India's best 6 batsman, and still enjoys playing.

    Really should only retire when he's not good enough to play for India any more or he doesn't enjoy the game any more. Neither of these is true right nw.

  4. #5554
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    That's an absolutely ridiculous rule. So you're only allowed to check the edge if a fielder takes a catch near the ground?

    If I was an umpire I'd be "checking to see if the fielder caught it" whenever I wasn't 100% on an edge, even if he took in the chest.
    Just to make this even more complicated, I'm going to put it out there that Rod Tucker may have done exactly this, knowing the rule. It took him ages to actually call for the replay to see if the ball carried, so perhaps he never thought Gambhir hit the ball but after England's elongated appeal and the position Trott took the ball he decided to "check to see if it carried". Wink wink nudge nudge.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009


  5. #5555
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    But what does where the fielder took the ball have to do with the edge though?

    If that had carried further and Trott took a more obvious catch then Gambhir would have been out. That would be a travesty

    I'm happy with the end result but the process is ridiculous. If you can trust it there why you can't you trust it everywhere else?
    I agree with you that the process and original premise in this system is rubbish. Personally though all I care about is the end result and getting good decisions, so although I'd prefer DRS, at least in this scenario a right decision was made, even if it was kinda weird.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

  6. #5556
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yes but Tendulkar is playing for India, and himself, not playing for some legacy in 30 years.

    He's still one of India's best 6 batsman, and still enjoys playing.

    Really should only retire when he's not good enough to play for India any more or he doesn't enjoy the game any more. Neither of these is true right nw.
    Thank you Jono. I cbf today.

  7. #5557
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    But what does where the fielder took the ball have to do with the edge though?

    If that had carried further and Trott took a more obvious catch then Gambhir would have been out. That would be a travesty

    I'm happy with the end result but the process is ridiculous. If you can trust it there why you can't you trust it everywhere else?
    It doesn't. I think the umpires can technically just ask if a batsman has edged it. I don't think there's a law preventing that?

  8. #5558
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,603
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    I agree with you that the process and original premise in this system is rubbish. Personally though all I care about is the end result and getting good decisions, so although I'd prefer DRS, at least in this scenario a right decision was made, even if it was kinda weird.
    Yeah, it's only going to lead to more decisions being correct if they leave it in, so I'm in favour of it I guess. My problem is that it doesn't actually make any sense at all to allow it in only that situation. It's like saying you can only use Hawkeye on the fourth ball of the over.

  9. #5559
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,603
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It doesn't. I think the umpires can technically just ask if a batsman has edged it. I don't think there's a law preventing that?
    Nah I'm 99% sure they can't do that. They can only ask if the catch carried, and if the third umpire finds that the batsman didn't hit it while looking at that, then it's not out. If the catch obviously carried then it doesn't get reviewed and the batsman is out. Which is just weird.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 08-12-2012 at 12:21 AM.

  10. #5560
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,987
    Yuvraj is poor against spin and poor against pace with movement.

    How are you still in the team ffs.

    (p.s. I'm glad you have made a come back from cancer)

  11. #5561
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    No doubt this will now appear on Cricinfo. Those bastards.
    A frantic first hour after lunch with plenty of drama. Turns out by the way, that the umpires are actually allowed to check anything they like! But if that's the case, why is there a need for DRS?! Bizarre. Anyhow, Monty is in the building...
    Hmm...

  12. #5562
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah that strikes me as bizarre.

    However, I'm sure something very similar happened during the 09 Ashes with Ponting. Though there it was given out anyway, to the confusion of everyone...
    In fact I suspect it would've been changed in exactly this case. I think it was Lord's first dig, where one came off Ponting's pad through to Prior, and they claimed the catch. They checked if it had carried (which it had)... then gave it out, despite it being plainly obvious that he'd gotten nowhere near it. Was absolutely absurd (although tbf he was probably plumb LBW as well)

  13. #5563
    International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,707
    This rule is unfair to the batsmen whose non-edges-given-out carrying comfortably to the fielder
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

  14. #5564
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yuvraj is poor against spin and poor against pace with movement.

    How are you still in the team ffs.

    (p.s. I'm glad you have made a come back from cancer)
    Agree with all of that but seeing as you are playing England I am glad he is in the team. If he is hardly bowling no real point to him being in the side at all. A bit like Fatit for us.

  15. #5565
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,987
    Stayed low, this could be over before tea.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. highest 50+ scores, percentage(ODIS)
    By Indusriver in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18-08-2011, 02:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •