• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
tough to know how england lineup on thursday.

You'd think the top 7 will be as the last tour match ie Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Samit, Prior.

Then Anderson is a certainty plus it sounds like Swann is back today so I assume he plays.

Which leaves 2 of Broad, Finn, Bresnan, Onions, Panesar, and Meaker.

Broad and Finn both bowled today in a net session but who knows how they come through that and it's unlikely that England will want to risk both of them for the test unless they are 100% sure they're fit.

At present it seems like Broad is more unlikely to be fit for the test. Given his batting frailties in recent times especially against spin this isn't the disaster it could have been. His bowling is a big miss in Asia especially in partnership with Anderson but he is now basically a no.11 batsmen in Asia.

Finn I think will play and Bresnan will get the final spot in a like for like replacement for Broad as Bresnan has been pretty good with the ball so far on this tour and has good old ball skills. Could have done with a few more runs in the warmups and will probably be pretty useless against spin but he'll be batting 8 anyway.

Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Samit, Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson, Finn

Broad is fit by the time the third test comes along but England already being 2-0 up don't need him and go on and win the series 4-0 and the BCCI decry that Test Cricket is finished.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Honestly reckon we have allowed English batsmen to get some form and confidence. Whether it will be enough for them to push India, or even beat them, I am not sure. But other than the injuries, which generally you can't control, its been a good start to the tour for England I reckon.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Avatar bet: whoever has the most points wins

Rules: 2 points per test win
1 point for whichever country has the most centurions over the course of the series
1 point for whichever country has the highest wicket taker over the course of the series
1 point for series win
.5 for Highest scorer each match
.5 highest wicket taker each match

Stipulation: If Furball wins, Agent Nationaux's avatar is mine for 6 months. If Agent Nationaux wins, my avatar is his for 6 months plus 1 month for every point he wins by.

Scores:

2 points to Agent Nationaux for the Test win
No batsman has yet scored a century
Agent Nationaux leads the highest wicket-taker stakes (Ajmal with 10)
Nationaux gets .5 points for highest run scorer (Hafeez)
Nationaux gets .5 points for highest wicket taker (Ajmal)

Nationaux 3-0 Furball
Furball, is it the same as the one you had against AN above?

Edit: Or this one -

Right, as the series is about a month away, I'm going to offer up an avatar bet.

My bet is over the entire series, and is points based. Winner is the person who at the end of the series has scored the most points. Points are awarded as follows:

2 points per test win
1 point for whichever country has the most centurions over the course of the series
1 point for whichever country has the highest wicket taker over the course of the series
1 point for series win
.5 for Highest scorer each match
.5 highest wicket taker each match

Now for the fun part: the duration stipulation.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Honestly reckon we have allowed English batsmen to get some form and confidence. Whether it will be enough for them to push India, or even beat them, I am not sure. But other than the injuries, which generally you can't control, its been a good start to the tour for England I reckon.
Yeah this. The issue for England in the UAE warmups wasn't the bowling they faced, it was the fact that a lot of them got no time in the middle.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Everything Anderson said there makes sense. And I'm sure for younger players it would be hard considering the aura that Sachin brings to the game.

Obviously aura means nothing in this game though hey? I mean opposition players need to remember to stay competitive against him, but that's meaningless hey? #Suckitstatsnerds #thisoneisforViv!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everything Anderson said there makes sense. And I'm sure for younger players it would be hard considering the aura that Sachin brings to the game.

Obviously aura means nothing in this game though hey? I mean opposition players need to remember to stay competitive against him, but that's meaningless hey? #Suckitstatsnerds #thisoneisforViv!
Aura definitely means something, but it's reflected in one's performances anyway. If the opposition bowlers are serving up pies because you're intimidating them, you'll score more runs.

Satyanash89

Banned
A billion Indians on the Internet are preparing their ridiculous insults at this very moment.
Indian and Pakistani cricket fans on the net are by and large the biggest collection of idiots in the world. There was an article on cricinfo recently about the XI ugly-but-effective cricketers, and there was a folood of comments from pakistanis accusing cricinfo of being racist because they called javed miandad ugly... wtf? :laugh:

Can see where Anderson's coming from, though... suprisingly sounded pretty frank and intelligent there. Can't quite believe this could be sachin's last series :( (probably wont)

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
"There is no question in my mind that he has been one of the best batsmen -- if not the best -- for 20-odd years," Anderson wrote in his column in Daily Mail. "But we have to make sure we do not treat him with too much respect in the middle."
Have to love how the daily fail has turned - Anderson warning his team mates to not get swayed away by Tendulkar because he's ****ing good and can make you pay if you get sucked in, to appearing like - Anderson personally doesn't respect Tendulkar too much. :laugh:

Such a terrible headline.

Last edited: