• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Howe_zat

Audio File
The South Africans would have to run into serious problems as well for that to happen given that we don't play them, so it'd rather detract from the achievement.

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
They just got beaten at home by SA. Great teams don't lose at home.
I agree with that.

Sorry, let me contextualise what I meant.

I am not suggesting this England side is one of the best ever. They aren't a great West Indies or Australia. I mean they are great in terms of this era.

I still believe that the SA series, England were all over the shop mentally though. I am not convinced it is as simple as saying SA are far better than England.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The South Africans would have to run into serious problems as well for that to happen given that we don't play them, so it'd rather detract from the achievement.
Not really, they have 2 series coming up but we have potentially this win followed by double headers against New Zealand and Australia which I fancy us to win. Do that and we may go above them anyway whether we deserve to or not. Clearly SA and England are the top 2 sides and personally i'd say that SA are better than us but the fixtures coming up mean we may go above them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with that.

Sorry, let me contextualise what I meant.

I am not suggesting this England side is one of the best ever. They aren't a great West Indies or Australia. I mean they are great in terms of this era.

I still believe that the SA series, England were all over the shop mentally though. I am not convinced it is as simple as saying SA are far better than England.
I rate this England side more than most (was one of the only people to tip an England series win here for example) but they are not a great side. I think you're just using the word a bit differently to how we typically do here though.

In terms of getting back to #1, they need to fix the batting up. I never quite bought into the massive subcontinent weaknesses as such but their batting lineup isn't a patch on South Africa's or indeed the side that got them to #1 recently. If Root, Compton and Bairstow can really cement themselves as good Test players (or Bell stops being Bell and starts performing to his ability consistently) then we're talking, but until then England are a clear but distant #2 for mine. And they've got ten Tests against the #3 side around the corner as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England and SA are always a chance in any series they play because they have the best bowling attacks around ATM. If you're likely to take 20 wickets every match you're always in with a shout.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was Dhoni nightwatchman, or does he actually think he should be going in aboive Jadeja?

Missed the last session because of work but Jimmy Anderson is a great man.

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's so depressing that it has been less than 2 years since this side went to South Africa and were in a winning position in the third test before a Kallis masterclass ended the awesomely competed series in a draw. Tendulkar, the then best batsman in the world, was absolutely amazing against some top class bowling and Laxman played one of the best knocks I've seen to win us a game (96 and 43 in a game where no-one else scored a 50).

I shudder to think what would happen if this Indian side tours there now considering that they've just beaten England away and India has gone 0-4 0-4 1-3 since then.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They just got beaten at home by SA. Great teams don't lose at home.
Yeah don't think anyone really thinks England are a 'great' side.

Simplisitc, but great teams have great players. England have one player who plays great innings from time to time, and to use the Trevor Bailey criteria, a couple of very very good players in Cook and Anderson and a very good one in Prior.

SS1

It's so depressing that it has been less than 2 years since this side went to South Africa and were in a winning position in the third test before a Kallis masterclass ended the awesomely competed series in a draw. Tendulkar, the then best batsman in the world, was absolutely amazing against some top class bowling and Laxman played one of the best knocks I've seen to win us a game (96 and 43 in a game where no-one else scored a 50).

I shudder to think what will happen if go there now considering that they've just beaten England away and India has gone 0-4 0-4 1-3 since then.
A similar England side drew 1-1 with SA in SA not too long ago.

India are done. Some of their highly rated batsman just don't possess the patience for Test cricket and dare I say it, lack technique.

If India were interested in Test cricket, the likes of Pujara, Kohli etc would be arranging to play in England/Australia etc to learn how to deal with different conditions. They aren't bothered. India is solely focused on the money and if it isn't sorted out soon, losing at home will become far more regular than in any previous era.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
A similar England side drew 1-1 with SA in SA not too long ago.

India are done. Some of their highly rated batsman just don't possess the patience for Test cricket and dare I say it, lack technique.

If India were interested in Test cricket, the likes of Pujara, Kohli etc would be arranging to play in England/Australia etc to learn how to deal with different conditions. They aren't bothered. India is solely focused on the money and if it isn't sorted out soon, losing at home will become far more regular than in any previous era.
Forgetting the two final wicket draws iirc?

South Africa outplayed Eng in 3 games to 1

stumpski

International Captain
Pujara and Kohli are the least of India's worries, surely.
True, but at least they represent the future - it's too late for the likes of Sehwag and Dhoni to bother with county cricket. And why would they, or Sharma who could be very effective in CC, bother when they can make far more in a few weeks in IPL than in a whole season in England?

SS1

yeah. it's guys like gambhir/sehwag, tendulkar and dhoni who are under scrutiny as they haven't done anything SIGNIFICANT for a long time.
The elder statesmen of Indian cricket are too set in their ways to go abroad and improve. The next generation are the chaps that should be doing it.

India worked hard to lose the reputation of having a soft underbelly in the 80's. The next generation unless it sorts itself out and stops the obsession with 20/20 slogging is going to go a long way to reinforcing that same perception.

Where will India win abroad again ? Honestly ? Zimbabwe ?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
They didn't win those games.
the guy is claiming the english side to be 'great'.

Reality check (compared to even 2 yrs ago)-

-No dravid (who generally loves playing england)

-No laxman (rescue man, clutch player)

-A finished tendulkar who even kept getting bowled against NZ seamers.

-35 yr Sehwag with diminished hand-eye coordination and who has not been the same since his operation.

-I am not even going to touch on the bowling

-On top of that, this team has been losing comprehensively since 2011. The senior players especially are all mentally shattered. As soon as India fall behind in the game, they crumble. There is hardly any intensity in the field, and the captain has overstayed by at least a yr.

All in all, it's no better than merely a mediocre side at home and a completely rubbish side abroad.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
The elder statesmen of Indian cricket are too set in their ways to go abroad and improve. The next generation are the chaps that should be doing it.

India worked hard to lose the reputation of having a soft underbelly in the 80's. The next generation unless it sorts itself out and stops the obsession with 20/20 slogging is going to go a long way to reinforcing that same perception.

Where will India win abroad again ? Honestly ? Zimbabwe ?
india will play fewer and fewer tests in the future.

This side could even lose in bangladesh or come very close to it tbh. :ph34r:

Monty turned the series around in Mumbia from the bowling perspective. Without him I wonder if we would be saying completely different things right now.
"english side's **** in asia" etc