• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

tooextracool

International Coach
Got to wonder about how little Chawla has improved as a bowler since I last saw him bowl 6 years ago. It's not shocking to hear that his figures in FC cricket have been abysmal lately.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
From 139/5 to 225/5 now. Indian bowling's old woes. Can't tighten the screws after taking quick wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
George Dobell writing for espncricnfo last night

That it generated a certain drama was more due to the position of the series than the thrill of the cricket. Indeed, as Test cricket fights for relevance, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that pitches like this represent one of the greatest threats to its future.

Some will rile at that. They will claim - quite rightly - that India have the right to produce any surface they like for a home series. But this is not a pitch that will suit India any more than it will suit England. It is sluggish and uneven and helps neither the batsmen nor the bowler with the greatest skill. It is not a pitch that rewards good cricket. It is not a pitch that rewards spectators; be they at the ground or watching at home. It is not a good pitch.

Progress, with bat or ball, can be made. But it can be made, for batsmen or bowlers, only with dogged persistence. There is some merit in that; Test cricket is meant to reward persistence and consistency, after all. But it is also meant to reward flair and skill and produce entertaining cricket and it cannot be ignored that around 40,000 of this stadium's 45,000 seats were empty. Who is going to pay to watch a run-rate below two and bowlers hoping to bore out batsmen?​

Of course he is spot on but does any one in BCCI care.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England have moved into favourites this morning, which surprises me. 42 runs in an hour is good going here, but it's still just 42.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well....there's an opening. Can't allow England to go past 300 or it's going to be trouble. Any chase at all in the 4th innings will be tough.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
really needed that, Ashwin with a different angle, will be interesting to see Swann's approach to see if he goes for the big shots.

I must say though that Ohja really built up the pressure on Prior leading up to the wicket, Dhoni was losing a bit of control with regular boundary balls being bowled by Jadeja and Chawla.

Scratch that I totally forgot Bresnan is playing

GONE!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was just typing a post saying Dhoni will find the first opportunity to drop Ashwin. Just a gut feeling I had from the way Dhoni is handled both as a bowler and his spots in the batting order. He had bowled just 8 overs out of about 60 overs in the partnership between Prior and Root. I was writing something to the effect that if Chawla gets two wickets and Ashwin none plus Jadeja scores a fifty and Ashwin under ten, we might see Dhoni drop the spinner who took the fatest 50 Test wickets just a couple of weeks back and is screaming to go above at least Dhoni in the batting order.

Then he brought him on. I started watching and Ashwin got a wicket.

He hasn't bowled another ball since !!!

WTF !!!

Chawla has bowled more overs than Ashwin in this innings so far and that is NOT a joke !

Anyone remember how Dhoni treated Ashwin as skiper of CSK ?