• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Spark

Global Moderator
That's not really a valid comparison when you consider who those players were trying to displace.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Disagree with you on the experience side of things, but I do agree that he has to score runs to earn his place in the team. A player that has put in enough good performances in the past (depending how far back the past is considered) deserves a bit of leeway when his form does dip.

When a team such as Australia were at their peak they were asking fringe Test players to average 60 in first-class cricket over a period of time, not just in one season, so I'd have no issues in keeping Bairstow on the sidelines for now, but Bell does need to get back to scoring big runs.
As Spark implied, the amount of runs you'd need to replace Ian Bell is slightly different than the amount you'd need to replace Ricky Ponting.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't agree that he lacks the temperament for Test cricket, he is in his 83rd Test match now and still averages over 45, which is none too shabby, but for a guy that has the ability with the bat that he does, we just expect more! There is a certain amount of inflation in that average I suppose with his flaying of Bangladesh and the likes, but even so, it still reads pretty well.

Today's dismissal I would say was very tame, wouldn't say it was necessarily an inexcusable shot, but the execution of it he'll be disappointed with for sure.

Yes absolutely fair play to KP today for knuckling down and denying himself his usual flambuoyant game. Could be a crucial knock come the end of this series.
Didn't Bell just recently manage to get his first Test ton when no-one else in the team had already gotten one? His average has always been horribly misleading because of the way he cashed in against Bangladesh and West Indies, as well as other soft situations. Maybe he's lost some of that hunger/fight recently and doesn't have it in him to grit his teeth and earn the right to play the shots he's trying literally from ball one. I think being dropped would be good for him and the team - that doesn't mean you're writing him off. I hope he does come back stronger and values his wicket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Didn't Bell just recently manage to get his first Test ton when no-one else in the team had already gotten one? His average has always been horribly misleading because of the way he cashed in against Bangladesh and West Indies, as well as other soft situations. Maybe he's lost some of that hunger/fight recently and doesn't have it in him to grit his teeth and earn the right to play the shots he's trying literally from ball one. I think being dropped would be good for him and the team - that doesn't mean you're writing him off. I hope he does come back stronger and values his wicket.
Good post. Bell has talent, and there have been times when he has been gritty and placed huge value on his wicket. Of all the knocks which are mentioned to defend him, I never understand why his Trent Bridge knock last year is often left off the list. That was a series-defining knock. If Bell goes out early India very well could have won that test, and may have been far less pathetic for the rest of the series. Sure they may have capitulated anyway but who knows, they definitely were in the game big-time when Bell came to the crease.

He needs a kick up the arse, simple as that.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, always had a lot more time for Bell and he did play some really fine innings last year, the Trent Bridge one was really special even when you consider the opposition.

I would give him the first couple of tests against New Zealand, he has few reasons to complain if they do drop him before that though.

tooextracool

International Coach
Disagree with you on the experience side of things, but I do agree that he has to score runs to earn his place in the team. A player that has put in enough good performances in the past (depending how far back the past is considered) deserves a bit of leeway when his form does dip.
The fact that Bell is actually a senior player in the side makes this entire situation worse. The guy has now been around for 8 years and is a veteran of over 80 tests, yet hes averaging in the teens overall for 4 of the most important series of his career. Experienced players scratch around for runs, look at every half decent player in the history of cricket, and many of them made runs even when they were in the worst form of their lives. The sad part is, I dont even think hes out of touch, he's looked vulnerable against good bowling that can tie him down from both ends. I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt after his twin failures in the subcontinent last year, but its becoming a bit of a joke at the moment if we allow him to go to NZ to score more soft **** runs and re-cement his place.

Spark

Global Moderator
If he's not really out of touch yet putting up these sorts of numbers (and looking like them too) then that suggests more "not good enough", no?

Spark

Global Moderator
Amazing how Herath has improved his numbers. Was averaging 35 not too long ago. Don't have the highest hopes for Watson against him either

Arachnodouche

International Captain
We used to play rubber ball cricket as kids and every now and then, when the ball was a bit deflated, strokes would squirt out off the bat with next to no power and you could see the ball going all pear shaped in the air, swerving about. Some of the strokes being played on this pitch reminded me of that, especially the KP dismissal and numerous on-side flicks off slight-less-than half volleys