• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Basically we have a wicket that appears to be taking as much skill out of the game as possible and reducing it to a lottery - plus umpiring that's exacerbating that fact.

I'm taking it as a complement that India don't think they can win a straight fight...
Eh? how ?

The ball is not bouncing predictably but It's still slow and not that tough and also still requires skill to play on tbh.

Infact, Mumbai is more of a lottery pitch than this.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Basically we have a wicket that appears to be taking as much skill out of the game as possible and reducing it to a lottery - plus umpiring that's exacerbating that fact.

I'm taking it as a complement that India don't think they can win a straight fight...
Later on in the match when this pitch takes a lot of turn, I'm pretty sure it'll require some skill on the batsman's behalf...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh? how ?

The ball is not bouncing predictably but It's not that tough and still requires skill to play on tbh.

Infact, Mumbai is more of a lottery pitch than this.
agree with that.

at least here you have time to adjust since the pace of the pitch is slow

bring on ashwin now imo.

Arachnodouche

International Captain

Of course we can't, this series has been ample testament to that fact. But don't be discouraged yet, we'll endeavour our utmost to lose this also :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Good thing these two are playing their shots on this pitch, best to get as many as you can before you inevitably get one that rolls along the floor.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Uneven bounce at speed is impossible to react to for a batsman, let alone cover properly. It's part of life on a fourth or fifth day of a game, but on day one you should not have three or four feet of variation in bounce. Mumbai was a wicket that gave us an excellent game of cricket and a pitch on which it was possible to get in and make runs on as Cook & KP showed. I can see this ending up like the Trent Bridge track vs SA in 02 (?) when Kirtley got six and people kept getting hit on the ankles.

Feeling Onions may be missed... but at least we have a second seamer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Please. It's not a lottery. India have prepared plenty of these in the past (much 'worse') and they won almost all of the time. If it was a lottery, that wouldn't be the case. It's only a lottery if you lose. If England win, it's because they were better. People complained about pitches like Mumbai in the past too - but as England proved, it's about playing better.

Agree re: umpiring.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Uneven bounce at speed is impossible to react to for a batsman, let alone cover properly. It's part of life on a fourth or fifth day of a game, but on day one you should not have three or four feet of variation in bounce. Mumbai was a wicket that gave us an excellent game of cricket and a pitch on which it was possible to get in and make runs on as Cook & KP showed. I can see this ending up like the Trent Bridge track vs SA in 02 (?) when Kirtley got six and people kept getting hit on the ankles.

it's slow so you have time to adjust at least.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yeah and I think Bresnan will do fine, hell even give Trott a bowl.

Just so important that they get the runs against spin on this first day.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Please. It's not a lottery. India have prepared plenty of these in the past (much 'worse') and they won almost all of the time. If it was a lottery, that wouldn't be the case. It's only a lottery if you lose. If England win, it's because they were better. People complained about pitches like Mumbai in the past too - but as England proved, it's about playing better.

Agree re: umpiring.
yeah. on that mumbia wicket you had literally no time to adjust to someone liek panesar

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Pretty sure there have been a few debates like this before on here, so don't want to go over it again but Variable bounce requires quick reflexes (hand eye co-ordination), soft hands and good footwork to counter. Also the pitch is slow right now so there's more than enough time to adjust, imo.

Have seen worse than this before and players like Sehwag have done well there in different formats, relatively consistently.

Last edited: