• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Xuhaib

International Coach
What are the odds on Tendulkar stepping down after twin failures? I really hope he does go with some dignity in tact. Really reeks to see so many people baying for him. With some justification, it has to be said, but 23 years of mostly excellence deserves a better send off. He's sullied his legacy already, just go now.
haha...no.

If he retires he will still go down as the best batsman of his generation unless Kallis can maintain his current run scoring spree for 2-3 more seasons.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not really, and if it did, only a minor part. I think England have just been fantastic tbh.

Cook has obviously been extremely gun, and has MOTM locked up unless Pujara does something ridiculously awesome in the third... but KP turned this series. His knock should go down as one of the best in India in 20 years.
thats true.

Had KP got dismissed after a breezy 50 I think series would have been done by now. Certainly an ATG knock.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah there were definitely people who were calling for Monty to play, and equally some saying it would be stupid to play him.

Monty has won for sure.

I was one of the big supporters of Monty pre-series. I think I even said that I felt he might have an amazing series :p

Most other people were like 'nooo he can't bat or field' or some ****. Feels so good

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah there were definitely people who were calling for Monty to play, and equally some saying it would be stupid to play him.

Monty has won for sure.

My aversion to playing Monty is that normally it's a really dumb idea to play 2 spinners in India.

Had I known that India's batsmen would collectively forget how to play spin then it would have been different. I'm a huge fan of Monty being around the team; reckon most teams would kill for a first choice spinner as good as him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You'd have to dig up the posts (they'd be in the Aus/Ind tour thread) but I might have.

I'm certainly not overly shocked by the result, let's say.
I'm suprised that we're 2-1 up with 1 to play, mainly because our batting for the last year has been abysmal.

Our bowling was always good enough to give us a chance in each game, winning always depended on the batsmen.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
England were paying something ridiculous like 19.00 pre-second test, weren't they? Imagine the odds for series win would've been even longer.
That's insane odds. Every man and his dog know that England have this ability to play their best cricket when they've just been thumped previously e.g The Oval 09, Sydney 09/10.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's insane odds. Every man and his dog know that England have this ability to play their best cricket when they've just been thumped previously e.g The Oval 09, Sydney 09/10.
Yep, reckon India are a good bet for the last test now, no idea what the odds are but we are just as likely to flop as to win again. It won't be a draw.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Right so it looks like in Nagpur's short tenure as a Test venue it's actually been one of the more seam-friendly grounds in India. The last two matches had most of the wickets taken by Ishant Sharma (versus NZ) and Dale Steyn, and the only other test back in 2008 had Watson take 4-42. Overall, seamers have taken wickets at 32 runs each while spinners have taken their wickets at 38.

Edit: India did not actually win the Test where Ishant Sharma took 10 for against NZ, but really, can you blame me for not thinking NZ would recover from that

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
My aversion to playing Monty is that normally it's a really dumb idea to play 2 spinners in India.

Had I known that India's batsmen would collectively forget how to play spin then it would have been different. I'm a huge fan of Monty being around the team; reckon most teams would kill for a first choice spinner as good as him.
:laugh: played

Xuhaib

International Coach
I did think England got underrated for this series due to their Pakistan results which tbf a 3-0 scoreline was harsh on England. England twice came within 70 runs of winning and that too when their 4-5-6 were actually contributing scores you would expect from a genuine number 10-11. If KP had even one decent game the scoreline might have looked more decent.

Daemon

I actually remember saying england should pick monty over swann as the first choice spinner :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually remember saying england should pick monty over swann as the first choice spinner :p
That's just because you have an irrational hatred of Swann though. You'd probably call for me to be picked ahead of Swann if I was in the squad.

Daemon

I would for the entertainment value tbf

It's also a rational hatred ftr, need I post that picture again?