Page 309 of 675 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

  1. #4621
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Is it a totally ****ed up idea to think Swann & Panesar are a better spinner pair than Ojha & Ashwin?
    They probably are, trouble is there is only really one test pitch at home to play them on so we will never really see them together again after the next few weeks. Might well play at Old Trafford in the ashes but after that it is difficult to see many chances for two spinners in an England side.

  2. #4622
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Like most of us, I don't give a rat's arse about official ranking lists.

    Monty is nowhere near this top ten, and rightly so. Yet, would he have been an Indian (let's not get started about a discussion he actually is), or a Pakistani or a Sri Lankan, he very well might be.

    Is it a totally ****ed up idea to think Swann & Panesar are a better spinner pair than Ojha & Ashwin?
    they obviously appear to be much better.

    ashwin relies too much on his variations and in the process bowls too many pressure release balls, while ohja has always come across to me as just a better version of the pie-chucker with limited skills (his deliveries look so innocuous )
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

  3. #4623
    State Captain Stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    They probably are, trouble is there is only really one test pitch at home to play them on so we will never really see them together again after the next few weeks. Might well play at Old Trafford in the ashes but after that it is difficult to see many chances for two spinners in an England side.
    Indeed!
    Since England have Anderson, Finn, Broad, Bresnan, Onions, Tremlett & a few uncapped talented quicks, there is no need to prepare a turner either.

    To keep this thread on topic a bit more.
    Considering (at least for the sake of arguement) England have better spinners than India have, are India correct in producing turners? England's problems against spin have, imho, both been exaggerated and over discussed. Are India's problems against spin even worse? As a neutral viewer, I think England are actually favourites to win this series.

  4. #4624
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Monty is nowhere near this top ten, and rightly so. Yet, would he have been an Indian (let's not get started about a discussion he actually is), or a Pakistani or a Sri Lankan, he very well might be.
    ?
    Such bull****.

    Ajmal is easily the best spinner in the world right now and yet he didn't get nominated for the ICC awards.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta


  5. #4625
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Indeed!
    Since England have Anderson, Finn, Broad, Bresnan, Onions, Tremlett & a few uncapped talented quicks, there is no need to prepare a turner either.

    To keep this thread on topic a bit more.
    Considering (at least for the sake of arguement) England have better spinners than India have, are India correct in producing turners? England's problems against spin have, imho, both been exaggerated and over discussed. Are India's problems against spin even worse? As a neutral viewer, I think England are actually favourites to win this series.
    the mumbia pitch had a lot of pace in it which made monty appear a lot better than any other spinner. On a relatively slower wicket, which we will probably see in the next 2 games, indian batsmen will have more time to adjust to his quick pace and therefore make him less of a factor.

    i think the series all depends on if the indian bowlers learn from their awful performance on a spinning wicket in mumbia. thankfully there will no aleem dar.

  6. #4626
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,108
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Such bull****.

    Ajmal is easily the best spinner in the world right now and yet he didn't get nominated for the ICC awards.
    His point is that if Monty played for one of the subcontinent sides he'd play more Tests and therefore be in a position to be ranked as high as the likes of Ohja. The ICC awards have nothing to do with it.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  7. #4627
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,766
    Not really surprising that Bungalow missed the point though.

  8. #4628
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,686
    India v England, 3rd Test, Kolkata : Call for rank turners 'immoral' - Eden Gardens curator | Cricket News | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo


    Considering the policy of screwing over paying customers, I'd agree with him. With that said, I don't think it's immoral for Dhoni to ask for a pitch that lessens the effect of the toss. Clearly the last match was fun - we got to see some great batting, great bowling, some ****ty batting and some ****ty bowling - and we got a result. Not much more you can ask for. Having a match that last five days but where for three days the batsman can just plop their front foot and stroke away are boring as crap and don't add much to the sport. In the subcontinent, the toss matters too much. I like the fact that Dhoni didn't back away from asking for more of the same pitches (though if he had, he would have looked like even more of an ass).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  9. #4629
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,634
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Such bull****.

    Ajmal is easily the best spinner in the world right now and yet he didn't get nominated for the ICC awards.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  10. #4630
    State Captain Stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    His point is that if Monty played for one of the subcontinent sides he'd play more Tests and therefore be in a position to be ranked as high as the likes of Ohja. The ICC awards have nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for clearing my thoughts! Indeed what my point is!

    Not bad for a person who ranks an overrated wicketkeeper .

  11. #4631
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Like most of us, I don't give a rat's arse about official ranking lists.

    Monty is nowhere near this top ten, and rightly so. Yet, would he have been an Indian (let's not get started about a discussion he actually is), or a Pakistani or a Sri Lankan, he very well might be.
    You're sort of missing the point of ICC rankings. Yes they suck, but if you are going to be using a statistical method of ranking players then only performances count, no spreadsheet will give a **** about your hypothetical performances elsewhere.

    Reckon PEWS's rankings probably have Monty higher but his is based on an entire career as well as current form whereas as far as I understand it the ICC's is much more short termed.

  12. #4632
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    You're sort of missing the point of ICC rankings. Yes they suck, but if you are going to be using a statistical method of ranking players then only performances count, no spreadsheet will give a **** about your hypothetical performances elsewhere.

    Reckon PEWS's rankings probably have Monty higher but his is based on an entire career as well as current form whereas as far as I understand it the ICC's is much more short termed.
    Yeah the standardised averages thread I have him is basically only of real use for retired players; it's not meant to tell you who's better now.

    The CPL database is designed to be a here and now thing - basically like the ICC rankings except it takes all domestic FC cricket into account as well and is less ******** in the way it weights things. Haven't updated that in a while but I'm pretty sure Panesar would be ahead of Ojha on that, too.
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  13. #4633
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,520
    Well there's a reason they call it 'Test' rankings after all

  14. #4634
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,420
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    His point is that if Monty played for one of the subcontinent sides he'd play more Tests and therefore be in a position to be ranked as high as the likes of Ohja. The ICC awards have nothing to do with it.
    I thought he was mentioning a political angle of SC vs the ROW.


  15. #4635
    State Captain Stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    You're sort of missing the point of ICC rankings. Yes they suck, but if you are going to be using a statistical method of ranking players then only performances count, no spreadsheet will give a **** about your hypothetical performances elsewhere.

    Reckon PEWS's rankings probably have Monty higher but his is based on an entire career as well as current form whereas as far as I understand it the ICC's is much more short termed.
    It's quite a thing you missed my point, even after is has been explained by GIMH....



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. highest 50+ scores, percentage(ODIS)
    By Indusriver in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18-08-2011, 02:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •