Page 309 of 675 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Is it a totally ****ed up idea to think Swann & Panesar are a better spinner pair than Ojha & Ashwin?
    They probably are, trouble is there is only really one test pitch at home to play them on so we will never really see them together again after the next few weeks. Might well play at Old Trafford in the ashes but after that it is difficult to see many chances for two spinners in an England side.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Like most of us, I don't give a rat's arse about official ranking lists.

Monty is nowhere near this top ten, and rightly so. Yet, would he have been an Indian (let's not get started about a discussion he actually is), or a Pakistani or a Sri Lankan, he very well might be.

Is it a totally ****ed up idea to think Swann & Panesar are a better spinner pair than Ojha & Ashwin?
    they obviously appear to be much better.

ashwin relies too much on his variations and in the process bowls too many pressure release balls, while ohja has always come across to me as just a better version of the pie-chucker with limited skills (his deliveries look so innocuous )
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    They probably are, trouble is there is only really one test pitch at home to play them on so we will never really see them together again after the next few weeks. Might well play at Old Trafford in the ashes but after that it is difficult to see many chances for two spinners in an England side.
    Indeed!
    Since England have Anderson, Finn, Broad, Bresnan, Onions, Tremlett & a few uncapped talented quicks, there is no need to prepare a turner either.

To keep this thread on topic a bit more.
    Considering (at least for the sake of arguement) England have better spinners than India have, are India correct in producing turners? England's problems against spin have, imho, both been exaggerated and over discussed. Are India's problems against spin even worse? As a neutral viewer, I think England are actually favourites to win this series.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Monty is nowhere near this top ten, and rightly so. Yet, would he have been an Indian (let's not get started about a discussion he actually is), or a Pakistani or a Sri Lankan, he very well might be.
    ?
    Such bull****.

Ajmal is easily the best spinner in the world right now and yet he didn't get nominated for the ICC awards.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Indeed!
    Since England have Anderson, Finn, Broad, Bresnan, Onions, Tremlett & a few uncapped talented quicks, there is no need to prepare a turner either.

To keep this thread on topic a bit more.
    Considering (at least for the sake of arguement) England have better spinners than India have, are India correct in producing turners? England's problems against spin have, imho, both been exaggerated and over discussed. Are India's problems against spin even worse? As a neutral viewer, I think England are actually favourites to win this series.
    the mumbia pitch had a lot of pace in it which made monty appear a lot better than any other spinner. On a relatively slower wicket, which we will probably see in the next 2 games, indian batsmen will have more time to adjust to his quick pace and therefore make him less of a factor.

i think the series all depends on if the indian bowlers learn from their awful performance on a spinning wicket in mumbia. thankfully there will no aleem dar.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Such bull****.

Ajmal is easily the best spinner in the world right now and yet he didn't get nominated for the ICC awards.
    His point is that if Monty played for one of the subcontinent sides he'd play more Tests and therefore be in a position to be ranked as high as the likes of Ohja. The ICC awards have nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Not really surprising that Bungalow missed the point though.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    India v England, 3rd Test, Kolkata : Call for rank turners 'immoral' - Eden Gardens curator | Cricket News | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Considering the policy of screwing over paying customers, I'd agree with him. With that said, I don't think it's immoral for Dhoni to ask for a pitch that lessens the effect of the toss. Clearly the last match was fun - we got to see some great batting, great bowling, some ****ty batting and some ****ty bowling - and we got a result. Not much more you can ask for. Having a match that last five days but where for three days the batsman can just plop their front foot and stroke away are boring as crap and don't add much to the sport. In the subcontinent, the toss matters too much. I like the fact that Dhoni didn't back away from asking for more of the same pitches (though if he had, he would have looked like even more of an ass).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Such bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    His point is that if Monty played for one of the subcontinent sides he'd play more Tests and therefore be in a position to be ranked as high as the likes of Ohja. The ICC awards have nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for clearing my thoughts! Indeed what my point is!

Not bad for a person who ranks an overrated wicketkeeper .

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Like most of us, I don't give a rat's arse about official ranking lists.

You're sort of missing the point of ICC rankings. Yes they suck, but if you are going to be using a statistical method of ranking players then only performances count, no spreadsheet will give a **** about your hypothetical performances elsewhere.

Reckon PEWS's rankings probably have Monty higher but his is based on an entire career as well as current form whereas as far as I understand it the ICC's is much more short termed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    You're sort of missing the point of ICC rankings. Yes they suck, but if you are going to be using a statistical method of ranking players then only performances count, no spreadsheet will give a **** about your hypothetical performances elsewhere.

Reckon PEWS's rankings probably have Monty higher but his is based on an entire career as well as current form whereas as far as I understand it the ICC's is much more short termed.
    Yeah the standardised averages thread I have him is basically only of real use for retired players; it's not meant to tell you who's better now.

The CPL database is designed to be a here and now thing - basically like the ICC rankings except it takes all domestic FC cricket into account as well and is less ******** in the way it weights things. Haven't updated that in a while but I'm pretty sure Panesar would be ahead of Ojha on that, too.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Well there's a reason they call it 'Test' rankings after all

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I thought he was mentioning a political angle of SC vs the ROW.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

It's quite a thing you missed my point, even after is has been explained by GIMH....

Thread Information