• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

tooextracool

International Coach
Either way, simple fact is in no job could you reside as leader over 4-0 4-0 and then possibly 3-1 or 2-1 at home and keep your job.

It seems that he refuses to stand down though (and all the credit to him, you can't accuse him of not giving a ****) so it will take the selectors/board sacking him I think.
I agree with you that, if India should lose the series (and I do not think this should be considered a certainty yet), that Dhoni should lose his job as captain. Though should he be left out of the side altogether? Maybe, but again who is the replacement?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Who is the replacement for Dhoni? Is there a wicket keeper banging on the door?

Don't think I've ever held out hope for Dhoni as a pure batsman, but I do think his batting has exceeded expectations and for a keeper batsman he may well be 2nd best in the world to Prior(not counting ABD who I fully expect to not hold on to the gloves for much longer)? As far as his keeping is concerned, has he been dropping a considerable amount of catches or conceding byes that are costing his team? My personal opinion is that he isn't the problem in this Indian side.
I'd say WRiddhiman Saha who seems to be havinga good first class season as well.

The biggest problem(oout of several big ones) I think facing the selectors is you relieve the captaincy off DHoni - who would you give it to ?
Personally think Sehwag would be a worse option and Kohli hasn'te established himself in the test side.

tooextracool

International Coach
woud be terrific if they left out gambhir from the starting XI in the next game.
Going to go the other way - personally, I think that Sehwag is the one holding them back. Whatever way you want to look at it, the guy has been abysmal abroad (outside of subcontinent) for a LOOONG time now and at 34 I actually think hes gotten worse. He's also shown little inclination to work on his game and seems to merely assume that he can play exactly the same way all over the world simply because thats how his game is. Ultimately, is it worth having a guy who COULD swing the odd game at home, or is it better to invest in the future and get someone who may actually have the potential for many years of service to the Indian team? I'm not sure where India are playing on their next overseas tour, but I can guarantee that Sehwag will not score very many runs there.

tooextracool

International Coach
I'd say WRiddhiman Saha who seems to be havinga good first class season as well.

The biggest problem(oout of several big ones) I think facing the selectors is you relieve the captaincy off DHoni - who would you give it to ?
Personally think Sehwag would be a worse option and Kohli hasn'te established himself in the test side.
Yeah you are right, it isnt the time for either to be captain. I'd actually be more tempted to give it to Ravichandra Ashwin though I do not think he has had much in the way of leadership experience on his way to the Indian team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If India had a few "easier" series you could see Kohli, Pujara or Ashwin being given captaincy. But they have Aust at home, which won't be easy by any stretch, then a lot of away series.

Lamb to the slaughter.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah you are right, it isnt the time for either to be captain. I'd actually be more tempted to give it to Ravichandra Ashwin though I do not think he has had much in the way of leadership experience on his way to the Indian team.
He's another one who shouldn't be taking his place for granted, let alone be considered as captain. Truthfully, I don't think there is a single person on that team right now that picks himself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah that was a good thread.

Dare say no one at that time expected this from India at home though.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Wonder how Zaheer must be feeling with the whole country calling him a fat bastard :laugh:

Lambs to the slaughter or not, it has to be done. We are getting beat anyway so it just seems logical to put in a young lot and let them develop some game sense and camaraderie in the process. It's not going to be pleasant viewing, but if we start with a decent core group of players in their early-mid 20s and actually stick with them if the talent and drive is there, then I'm sure we'll be far better off 5 years down the road.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that was a good thread.

Dare say no one at that time expected this from India at home though.
I think I called at least one of England or Aus beating India at home, tbf, on the "India just isn't a very good cricket team" justification.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think I called at least one of England or Aus beating India at home, tbf, on the "India just isn't a very good cricket team" justification.
yeah England with their spin resources were always the better shout but it was how they batted against Ajmal, Rehman and Herath that casted doubts in a lot of people's minds.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah England with their spin resources were always the better shout but it was how they batted against Ajmal, Rehman and Herath that casted doubts in a lot of people's minds.
yeah....they were horrible in the UAE.....I mean I can't remember when I had seen worse batting against spin bowling.

Difficult to believe this is the same batting line up.

Even Bell was smashing a few boundaries in the final innings of the last match

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wonder how Zaheer must be feeling with the whole country calling him a fat bastard :laugh:

Lambs to the slaughter or not, it has to be done. We are getting beat anyway so it just seems logical to put in a young lot and let them develop some game sense and camaraderie in the process. It's not going to be pleasant viewing, but if we start with a decent core group of players in their early-mid 20s and actually stick with them if the talent and drive is there, then I'm sure we'll be far better off 5 years down the road.
This literally only works if we don't hang the new young captain (Pujara, Kohli or Ashwin) out to dry after they lose to Australia and then get owned in South Africa.

That has to be the deal. Otherwise just sacrifice Gambhir or Sehwag or whoever has been around a while to front the media and don't ruin Kohli or Pujara's careers.

I can imagine Indian captaincy is ****ing draining,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You honestly picked England to beat India after the England vs. Pakistani series?

Australia beating India at home isn't as big a pick, they've always been competitive in India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Really? Always thought Australia were the better shout (as stated above). Never looked woeful in India. Even when they lost 2-0 in 2008 they played well in 2.5 of the tests.

2010 series they were competitive in both and were a whisker away from winning Mohali.

Spark

Global Moderator
You honestly picked England to beat India after the England vs. Pakistani series?

Australia beating India at home isn't as big a pick, they've always been competitive in India.
You'd have to dig up the posts (they'd be in the Aus/Ind tour thread) but I might have.

I'm certainly not overly shocked by the result, let's say.