• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
No doubt this will now appear on Cricinfo. Those bastards.
A frantic first hour after lunch with plenty of drama. Turns out by the way, that the umpires are actually allowed to check anything they like! But if that's the case, why is there a need for DRS?! Bizarre. Anyhow, Monty is in the building...
Hmm...

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that strikes me as bizarre.

However, I'm sure something very similar happened during the 09 Ashes with Ponting. Though there it was given out anyway, to the confusion of everyone...
In fact I suspect it would've been changed in exactly this case. I think it was Lord's first dig, where one came off Ponting's pad through to Prior, and they claimed the catch. They checked if it had carried (which it had)... then gave it out, despite it being plainly obvious that he'd gotten nowhere near it. Was absolutely absurd (although tbf he was probably plumb LBW as well)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuvraj is poor against spin and poor against pace with movement.

How are you still in the team ffs.

(p.s. I'm glad you have made a come back from cancer)
Agree with all of that but seeing as you are playing England I am glad he is in the team. If he is hardly bowling no real point to him being in the side at all. A bit like Fatit for us.

Howe_zat

Audio File
And I hear that DRS has been "used" despite there being no DRS?

Strange day.
Gambhir appeared to edge the ball to slip. It was caught one-handed low to the ground, so the umpire checked with the 3rd umpire whether the catch was clean. 3rd umpire correctly says it was a clean catch, but he's not actually edged it. So the decision of "he'd edged it" was effectively overturned.

This is within the laws as Pickup found but the curious part is that the reason India don't want decisions overturned is because the don't trust the technology - except they do in this situation for some reason.

flibbertyjibber

In fact I suspect it would've been changed in exactly this case. I think it was Lord's first dig, where one came off Ponting's pad through to Prior, and they claimed the catch. They checked if it had carried (which it had)... then gave it out, despite it being plainly obvious that he'd gotten nowhere near it. Was absolutely absurd (although tbf he was probably plumb LBW as well)
It was that one, today's one looked a close lbw shout too, not seen a better angle of it though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Gambhir appeared to edge the ball to slip. It was caught one-handed low to the ground, so the umpire checked with the 3rd umpire whether the catch was clean. 3rd umpire correctly says it was a clean catch, but he's not actually edged it. So the decision of "he'd edged it" was effectively overturned.

This is within the laws as Pickup found but the curious part is that the reason India don't want decisions overturned is because the don't trust the technology - except they do in this situation for some reason.
Yeah, as I said, we've seen the other scenario played out before and it was far, far more absurd than this was. At least the right decision was made in this case (albeit in a disconcertingly ad hoc way)

smash84

The Tiger King
Yes but Tendulkar is playing for India, and himself, not playing for some legacy in 30 years.

He's still one of India's best 6 batsman, and still enjoys playing.

Really should only retire when he's not good enough to play for India any more or he doesn't enjoy the game any more. Neither of these is true right nw.
FTR I was speaking from my own perspective (and from some people that i do know). As a person who has been around for all of Tendudlkar's career and seen its highs (and some lows) it is quite painful to watch him like this.

I am not sure if he is one of the top 6 batsmen in India right now. How could I be sure when he refuses to budge from his No 4 position? The way pujara is batting he might be a better number 4 than Tendy but he will never get that chance until Tendy is around.

Coming back to that earlier point, that as an entertainer and sportsmen you do have a right to shape the legacy that you want to leave behind. By overstaying (and there is some talk going on that he is only doing it because of some corporate sponsorship thing) he is destroying something that I believe would be beneficial for him in the future. Surely, the here and now isn't everything.

Daemon

Just to make this even more complicated, I'm going to put it out there that Rod Tucker may have done exactly this, knowing the rule. It took him ages to actually call for the replay to see if the ball carried, so perhaps he never thought Gambhir hit the ball but after England's elongated appeal and the position Trott took the ball he decided to "check to see if it carried". Wink wink nudge nudge.
I honestly think he initially thought it was not out, but doubted himself after the appeals and decided it was out. He then went to the third umpire to refer a catch, to make it look as though he hadn't deprived England of a wicket through a wrong decision.