• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Adam Mountford ‏@tmsproducer
In non DRS match regulations allow for umpires to ask if ball was hit even if they are only checking for a low catch. But he's out anyway!

Howe_zat

Audio File

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually, the decision is correct under the playing conditions.

APPENDIX 4 - SECTION 3.1
c) The third umpire has to determine whether the batsman has been caught. However, when reviewing the television replay(s), if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman did not hit the ball, he shall indicate that the batsman is not out

http://static.icc-cricket.com/ugc/d...D768E4902737F0ACA2E856B_1352699203813_266.pdf
That's an absolutely ridiculous rule. So you're only allowed to check the edge if a fielder takes a catch near the ground?

If I was an umpire I'd be "checking to see if the fielder caught it" whenever I wasn't 100% on an edge, even if he took in the chest.

stumpski

International Captain
I'd have settled for 3 wickets in the session btw, any more willl be a bonus. Just want to see SRT make a few now.

With Sehwag there India would likely have been ahead by tea.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, the decision is correct under the playing conditions.

APPENDIX 4 - SECTION 3.1
c) The third umpire has to determine whether the batsman has been caught. However, when reviewing the television replay(s), if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman did not hit the ball, he shall indicate that the batsman is not out

http://static.icc-cricket.com/ugc/d...D768E4902737F0ACA2E856B_1352699203813_266.pdf
No doubt this will now appear on Cricinfo. Those bastards.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
That's an absolutely ridiculous rule. So you're only allowed to check the edge if a fielder takes a catch near the ground?

If I was an umpire I'd be "checking to see if the fielder caught it" whenever I wasn't 100% on an edge, even if he took in the chest.
I see where your coming from, but I think in the absence of DRS this rule makes sense purely from a common sense standpoint.

If you can see in the replay that the batsman is clearly not out, then reverse the decision.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member

yeah exactly so by catch definition, umpires can check every catch out there in non DRS matches

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I see where your coming from, but I think in the absence of DRS this rule makes sense purely from a common sense standpoint.

If you can see in the replay that the batsman is clearly not out, then reverse the decision.
But what does where the fielder took the ball have to do with the edge though?

If that had carried further and Trott took a more obvious catch then Gambhir would have been out. That would be a travesty

I'm happy with the end result but the process is ridiculous. If you can trust it there why you can't you trust it everywhere else?