• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Howe_zat

Audio File
Onya JB. :)

Wouldn't mind Bell/Trott opening this series, but would prefer us looking for a proper opener if necessary so as we can get a partnership working. Still holding out hope for Root.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Onya JB. :)

Wouldn't mind Bell/Trott opening this series, but would prefer us looking for a proper opener if necessary so as we can get a partnership working. Still holding out hope for Root.
I'd tell Bell to open, if only because he has barely made a score in the middle order this year so there isn't much to lose. And he does open in the 50-over game, which may count for something. But touring with only two proper openers was always tempting fate, especially when one of them is barely out of his teens..

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pretty dire that all the people who made runs are playing for one position. I guess it's all useful though, specially as Bell will be missing the second test.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty dire that all the people who made runs are playing for one position. I guess it's all useful though, specially as Bell will be missing the second test.
Main reason Bell can't open then. Trott to open in India and Root in NZ replacing Fatit as we won't need 2 spinners over there.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Slightly worried about playing Bell atm unless he scores some in the next warm up or the next innings.
Reminds me of a friend of mine, who told me he was "slightly worried" about Hurricane Sandy, as we chatted on the phone the other day. (The storm was just approaching, and he was stood totally exposed on the roof of a New York skyscraper with a tasty view of the Atlantic, at the time). Bell's time is up. The birth of the kid and (I'm sure) his zealous desire to do the modern thing and fight mommy for the right to change nappies...forever presents an ideal opportunity to bow out gracefully and save face. He should grab it.

stumpski

International Captain
So Sky are going to use the STAR feed but have the regular Sky commentators (Nasser and co.) sat in a studio in England providing commentary? It's gonna feel pretty strange, especially when the feed cuts to the STAR/Indian commentators talking in the box whilst we hear the Sky team.
I shall do what I usually do, watch Sky while listening to TMS.

There's a slight delay between commentary and action but that helps to ensure that I don't miss anything. :D

FBU

International Debutant
I shall do what I usually do, watch Sky while listening to TMS.

There's a slight delay between commentary and action but that helps to ensure that I don't miss anything. :D
Me too but we will really be watching Star TV on the SKY channel while listening to TMS. I like being able to hear what is happening a few seconds before seeing it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally think Sky's commentary has really nosedived this past year or so. Athers is really the only one worth listening to now and Coney will be great value when England tour NZ.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Personally think Sky's commentary has really nosedived this past year or so. Athers is really the only one worth listening to now and Coney will be great value when England tour NZ.
Agree with this. Still the best lot out there but it was painful to see Nasser etc becoming cheerleaders during the last summer.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
General thought - As an Indian fan, the batting line up must be a concern. Only Pujara, Kohli and Dhoni got any runs at all against New Zealand. Against a stronger unit, that's too thin a lineup going into the series. Hopefully one of the seniors (openers and Tendulkar) hit form, and we get a better #6 than Rain.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
General thought - As an Indian fan, the batting line up must be a concern. Only Pujara, Kohli and Dhoni got any runs at all against New Zealand. Against a stronger unit, that's too thin a lineup going into the series. Hopefully one of the seniors (openers and Tendulkar) hit form, and we get a better #6 than Rain.
Raina must be retained at all costs for ****s and giggles.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Not sure if you follow the domestic scene, but Tendulkar just hit a better than run a ball hundred. So I think he's in some form. Not much can be said about the openers, as both of them flopped in the Ranji Trophy matches. Kohli had a bad game but going by his form I think that's just a one off. Pujara is coming off a stellar Challenger Trophy, and Yuvraj just followed up his double hundred with a half century and a fifer against the touring Englishmen. I don't think Raina is going to play.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How did this Root chap end up on tour? I just clicked on his cricinfo profile, and his recent form is appalling. Mainly 20/20, granted, but the recent first class performances are as bad if not worse.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did this Root chap end up on tour? I just clicked on his cricinfo profile, and his recent form is appalling. Mainly 20/20, granted, but the recent first class performances are as bad if not worse.
Young and an opener.

But I was surprised too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Dusty and co, being basically good eggs, saw the enormous potential in his surname for puns for lazy hacks, so he's an investment in the future.

Write themselves, pretty much:

England on Root for victory.

Pulled up by the Root: Joe saves England

Joe Root's the opposition: a ton for Tyke opener