• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Howe_zat

Audio File
how many of the other greats have had very long careers?

Bradman 20 years
Sobers 20 yers
Imran 21 years (although later purely as a batsman)
Wasim 19 years
Kallis 17 and counting
Ponting 16 years
Dravid 16 years
Wilfred Rhodes played for 31 years (1899-1930), albeit with a large hiatus.

Frank Woolley (25 years) and George Headley (24 years) are the only others I can find with a longer span than Tendulkar.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among fast bowlers, Courtney Walsh has to be a name to be mentioned here :wub:

519 test wickets, 1807 FC wickets, 18 years of test cricket - and importantly all that while bowling fast...First line in his cricinfo profile is apt - "A physiological phenomenon, Courtney Walsh probably bowled faster for longer than any man in history."

Still remember those 8-over spells in full flow during summer in sub-continent...and repeated time and again throughout the day...test after test...

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
wow....Wilfred Rhodes has a ridiculously long career....how long of a hiatus did he have?
Technically he had two, between 1921 and 1926 and from 1926 to 1930. He only played four Tests after his being dropped in 1921 - though that was after having already completed a fine 22-year career.

He first left Test cricket in 1921, when he was 43. That was following a disasterous Ashes tour where England were beaten 3-0, and England were accused of relying too much on ageing pre-war players, so Rhodes was one of the players dropped.

He carried on playing for Yorkshire, who won every championship from 1922 to 1925, scoring over 1000 runs every season and taking over 100 wickets in every season except for 1925. For the 1926 Ashes, Rhodes was added to the selection committe as the professional cricketer's voice, along with Jack Hobbs. The first four Tests were all drawn and Rhodes was persuaded to make a Test comeback, where he took a matchwinning 4-44 in the deciding Test.

His 1930 comeback was rather less glamourous - he was selected to play in a slightly patronising touring side to the West Indies, which Rhodes himself described as a team full of "old crocks". The games were not considered Tests at the time - they were "representative matches" later given Test status. He was 52.

Last edited:

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I know players have had careers as long in the past but this guy has played so much more international cricket than them and his records won't be beaten, his test runs maybe but not his ODI and certainly not by the same man if they go.
The thing is, if ODIs are ever scrapped then nobody will remember his statistics in them. His test record is in serious danger and not only by this generation.

smash84

The Tiger King
Technically he had two, between 1921 and 1926 and from 1926 to 1930. He only played four Tests after his being dropped in 1921 - though that was after having already completed a fine 22-year career.

He first left Test cricket in 1921, when he was 43. That was following a disasterous Ashes tour where England were beaten 3-0, and England were accused of relying too much on ageing pre-war players, so Rhodes was one of the players dropped.

He carried on playing for Yorkshire, who won every championship from 1922 to 1925, scoring over 1000 runs every season and taking over 100 wickets in every season except for 1925. For the 1926 Ashes, Rhodes was added to the selection committe as the professional cricketer's voice, along with Jack Hobbs. The first four Tests were all drawn and Rhodes was persuaded to make a Test comeback, where he took a matchwinning 4-44 in the deciding Test.

His 1930 comeback was rather less glamourous - he was selected to play in a slightly patronising touring side to the West Indies, which Rhodes himself described as a team full of "old crocks". The games were not considered Tests at the time - they were "representative matches" later given Test status. He was 52.
that is pretty cool

Satyanash89

Banned
Steve Waugh's career was almost 20 years wasnt it?
Javed played for over 20 years too iirc.
Walsh is definitely the most amazing example of longevity imo... 18 years of back-breaking fast bowling is an awesome effort... which is why i forgive the fact that he was ocassionally a blatant chucker at the end of his career

I really really hope today's innings for sachin was the start of a run similar to the one post 2006, can then finish his career on a high after scoring a mountain of runs against SA. One can dream, right?

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Check on youtube, try for some of Rob's longer highlights I think he's god the last series that Walsh played over here on there someplace, it'll be in there somewhere I suspect, can't look for them myself atm, at uni.

Satyanash89

Banned
I probably shouldnt have mentioned it at all...this is an unnecessary discussion but srsly, watch any video of him bowling a short ball in his final few years... was pretty obvious to me even back then

smash84

The Tiger King
Steve Waugh's career was almost 20 years wasnt it?
Javed played for over 20 years too iirc.
Walsh is definitely the most amazing example of longevity imo... 18 years of back-breaking fast bowling is an awesome effort... which is why i forgive the fact that he was ocassionally a blatant chucker at the end of his career

I really really hope today's innings for sachin was the start of a run similar to the one post 2006, can then finish his career on a high after scoring a mountain of runs against SA. One can dream, right?
Yeah, Miandad's career started in 1975 and ended in 1996. Although he wasn't in the team from 94 onwards and only reappeared for the 96 WC. 21 years still.

Wasim bowled for 19 years and could still generate decent pace off his short run.

IIRC could crank it up to 85+ miles an hour even in the 2003 world cup

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Among fast bowlers, Courtney Walsh has to be a name to be mentioned here :wub:

519 test wickets, 1807 FC wickets, 18 years of test cricket - and importantly all that while bowling fast...First line in his cricinfo profile is apt - "A physiological phenomenon, Courtney Walsh probably bowled faster for longer than any man in history."

Still remember those 8-over spells in full flow during summer in sub-continent...and repeated time and again throughout the day...test after test...
The mind boggling part about Walsh's career is that he genuinely got better with age. He was at his peak as a bowler in the twilight of his career.