• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Stapel

International Regular
Atherton just raised a good point on Sky; 14 of Pietersen's first 18 balls faced were bowled by Harbhajan. Certainly a more friendly welcome than he faced in either knock of the first test.

How on earth can Dhoni justify playing Harbhajan? Was cack for his state and his short stint at Essex. Must be cos he skittled England in a T20 eh?
Playing Harbhajan, apparently, is what took this series level, hence I applaud Dhoni :D .

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Prior?

Anyway, two world class batsmen is more than enough, if others do some sort of half decent job. So far Prior has looked good (avg 53 so far). Compton looks promising (avg 35). Swann will be a handful. I reckon Bell (he does come back, right?) will score a few as well. Not sure who will play at 6 (Bairstow, Patel or Morgan, or possibly Root), but good for some runs, I'ld say.

England have two real problems: Trott and Broad.
Trott looks out of form, but obviously won't be dropped. He did well in SL and had two fair innings against Pakistan. I have no idea if he might come good.
Broad, as things go now, is simply useless. He has bowled only 12 of the 160 overs. In the first test 24 out of 176. Total figures of 0-157 in 36 overs. Not good. I wouldn't be surprised though if he gets a few more chances.
Furthermore, Patel has looked useless with the ball, but I guess he will be dropped.
Sorry I missed Prior...but ideally you don't want to rely on just two top order batsmen in a 4 match series.. that's just wrong.. I don't think too much of Patel.. I would go with Bairstow..bloke really impressed me against South Africa.

As for Harbhajan...I seriously don't understand why he continues to get picked..Even Amit Mishra might have been a better pick.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bell in for Patel is the only change I'd make, pending Broad's/Finn's fitness. Other options yet to inspire any confidence

Stapel

International Regular
Only thing we can take out of this match is that none of the English batsmen besides Cook and KP (who was pretty much unstoppable) scored runs, and that Harbhajan will likely never play another test match for ages.

Well played England. Some of our blokes need to grow a spine and tuck their egos away, as I said before, they should learn from Compton's knocks in the first test 2nd innings and in the first innings in this game.
As said: So far Prior averages 50+ this series. That's simply good!

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd really not be shocked if Compton plays a really substantial knock before the series as out. Strikes me as a batsman who will just get better as he gets more used to the conditions and works out his methods more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd really not be shocked if Compton plays a really substantial knock before the series as out. Strikes me as a batsman who will just get better as he gets more used to the conditions and works out his methods more.
Yep, I've already called a third Test ton. Gonna put money on it too.

Stapel

International Regular
Sorry I missed Prior...but ideally you don't want to rely on just two top order batsmen in a 4 match series.. that's just wrong..
If the other 4 make a few 30s, 40s and 50s, we will never remember their innings, but it will be enough to let the big guns score a few more. I think England's top order (other than Cook & KP) will do so.

I agree with you they are unlikely to save a test.

Question:
If we compare England's line up with India's line up. Whose top order would you pick at the moment?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Finn have poor fitness issues?? Seems to have missed more matches than played if I remember correctly..even the 2011 series against Pakistan he was ruled out with injury..

Stapel

International Regular
KP > Indian batting line up at the moment.
Agreed, though Pujara has been impressive as well.

For the rest: Tendulkar, Kohli & Yuvraj have the same problems handling Swann & Monty, as Trott, Bell, Bairstow & Patel have handling Ohja & Ashwin....

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, very Cowanesque imo.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The only thing that gives me a little hope is that KP isn't known to do back to back big knocks too often is he? And I'd back our non performing losers more to come good over the next two games than Trott and Co. Yuvraj has to go though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni living in denial in order to avoid looking like a complete fool, in the process looks like a complete fool.

Oh Dhoni, the man who could turn dust to gold :(
To be honest..not sure what else the strategy can be though..

Roads will end up in 1-1 and Dhoni will be criticized for negative cricket

Seaming conditions - India do not have seamers and I think India is scared of offering too much assistance to Andersen and co.

Spin friendly conditions are still India's best bet..also considering England still do have a weakness against spin apart from Cook, Prior and KP.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, out of the 8 bats (include Prior there) we have used so far there is only Cook, KP and Prior who have looked better so for a debutant in a strange batting slot that is about all you can ask of him. Fortunately the first innings he played where he seemed to struggle to find any scoring areas was probably more down to nerves than anything else as he has looked a little bit better with each innings that passes.

Even if he struggles in the last couple of games he has probably shown enough to get the NZ tour at least in the future.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The only thing that gives me a little hope is that KP isn't known to do back to back big knocks too often is he? And I'd back our non performing losers more to come good over the next two games than Trott and Co. Yuvraj has to go though.
We've just proven that Compton will ton up. Keep up

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As said: So far Prior averages 50+ this series. That's simply good!
Yup, only as "low" as that thanks to a penisy run out when looking in too.

Bell for Sammy and Onions for Broad would be my changes for the third.

I'm a long time Patel advocate, but he didn't quite do enough to convince as a test six and, Trotters's & Ding Dong's recent woes notwithstanding, hasn't the body of work behind him to warrant retention.

centurymaker

International Captain

Nah. India will most likely win 2-1. most english batsmen will still have trouble adjusting to the conditons, while the indian batsmen will make hay.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Seaming conditions - India do not have seamers and I think India is scared of offering too much assistance to Andersen and co.

Spin friendly conditions are still India's best bet..also considering England still do have a weakness against spin apart from Cook, Prior and KP.
After this test, he should just talk about focusing on team's form and performance, and leave alone talking about what kind of pitch he wants.