• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Xuhaib

International Coach
wow...

heads should role in India after this one. England were gun but they were aided by some **** cricket from the opposition.

Congrats to English supporters its been a tough year for them but this must taste sweet.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations on making the second post in this thread talking about square turners.
Don't quite understand what you mean, but regardless I was referring to some of those tweets from journalists and experts showcased on cricinfo, not so much on this topic.

smash84

The Tiger King
well played England.....

congratulations to their fans.

it must be gratifying to see their team win on a spinning track and that too against the best players of spin in the world

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Indian defeats don't nearly rankle as much as they once used to, because it's very hard to unabashedly root for arrogant, deluded chumps like Gambhir. This is a full-on humiliation though..I read the word emasculation being used on cricinfo and that works here too. Well done, England..watching the underdog win in adverse conditions is always the greatest sight in sport.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP MOM can't really argue as that was as good a ton as you will see for a long long time. Thought Shastri was easy on Dhoni, I doubt the rest of the press will be later.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
This defeat will hurt more than the ones in England and Aus, I swear we better win the series. I can take away losses but not home losses, especially since we haven't lost a test series since Aus in 04.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I think we'll win the series, perhaps even comfortably. But the rot has set in firmly and a series win after this will be small consolation.

chicane

State Captain
Well done England.

I was at the ground yesterday. Pietersen was awesome, so was Cook. Monty caused a lot of problems, great fielding effort.

India were just horrible with the bat and sub-par in the field. Kohli, Ashwin and Dhoni - **** off you stupid ****s.

Couldn't get worse. Feels about on par with an ass-kicking from Pak/Aus. And it always has to happen in my town. Anyway, India have been shown their true place in the world order.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hopefully there's something in it the pitch for the spinners in the next match. It took way too long for India to get out in the first innings; Test cricket isn't supposed to be hard work.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't believe the way we've crumbled against spin this match. If they prepare raging turners rest of the series Monty and Swann will be licking their lips. Anyways, have to congratulate England, they were fantastic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well that was all very professional and non-brown trouser inducing. 'Grats to the chaps on such a turnaround in back to back tests.

Atherton just raised a good point on Sky; 14 of Pietersen's first 18 balls faced were bowled by Harbhajan. Certainly a more friendly welcome than he faced in either knock of the first test.

I can't ever remember England taking 19 of 20 wickets with spin before either. I mean obviously Laker and Lock shared all 20 in the 19/90 and all that test, but since then...?

Been two good tests to watch, I have to say. Not something that's always true of SC test cricket. Umpiring ****house tho, obvz.

Should also be noted Mumbai is practically a home test for us too; birthplace of English cricket's greatest hero and all. :cool:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we'll win the series, perhaps even comfortably. But the rot has set in firmly and a series win after this will be small consolation.
Oh it'll be anything but comfortable, I can't help but think that Laxman should have waited until the end of the England series to retire, he was made for a situation like yesterday and could have bailed us out, with a garaunteed century at Eden Gardens :p

but seriously both of the remaining tests will be played on good batting wickets (unless they are specially prepared because England aren't good against spin). I think this is the first time Indian fans are getting the kind of pitches they want (ones that produce results) except our batting is so out of form that they aren't of any real use.

Time for some flat decks! LOL

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Well played England! Congrats.

Surely Monty should have been the MoM? In both matches, the batsman has been preferred over the bowler for the award.Injustice.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played England! Congrats.

Surely Monty should have been the MoM? In both matches, the batsman has been preferred over the bowler for the award.Injustice.
Yeah I agree, I think everyone is overrating the amount of "help" the pitches are providing. You gotta love the logic at times, when a bowler takes wickets on a "friendly" track and a batsmen makes runs, usually the batsmen gets MOTM because he "stood out" and all that. But when a bowler takes wickets on a flat wicket, a batsmen has invariably scored a double or even triple hundred, and he takes the award anyways.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah I agree, I think everyone is overrating the amount of "help" the pitches are providing. You gotta love the logic at times, when a bowler takes wickets on a "friendly" track and a batsmen makes runs, usually the batsmen gets MOTM because he "stood out" and all that. But when a bowler takes wickets on a flat wicket, a batsmen has invariably scored a double or even triple hundred, and he takes the award anyways.
so awta

Stapel

International Regular
Though I agree with you that the pitch being a devil is vastly overrated, it would be nonsense to say this was a flat wicket.

This pitch suited the spinners, A LOT. Hence the first time in history (I think) England spinners take 19 wickets. Broad didn't get the ball 2nd innings! On this pitch, spinners were always going to take wickets. Therefor, the way to win this Test was to have one or two guys that would handle the spinners well. Both India and England had one such batsman with Pujara and Cook. But England also had KP who really made the difference.