Page 211 of 675 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261311 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

Good start. Well done Ojha, Pujara, Sehwag! Well done team!

Compton - Has a good attitude for an opener.. But it remains to be seen if he has the correct technique, especially in the subcontinent.

Cook - Superb in the backfoot play against spinners, and in the legside play against pacers. Both spinners and pacers need to consistently bowl him full/good-length just outside off-stump to take his wicket/contain him. Ashwin and Zaheer are best for the job. He's not the best frontfoot driver in business.

Trott - Same as Compton, but more experience/success...so more of a threat than Compton.

Pietersen - He's the kind of player who'll make it big once he crosses 30/40. We can rely on Dhoni to press the defense button once he does that.

Bell - It really amazes me how he isn't one of England's best 3 players of spin. He definitely has the best technique for the job IMO, but surprisingly almost always makes a mistake early in his inning. It has become somewhat of a mental block now I think. He will rule once he overcomes that.

Patel - Clearly the cricketer India needs to worry the least about.

Prior - Dangerous lower-middle order batsman - his cuts are very effective on these pitches. He's likely to be a pain in the ass throughout the series.

Bresnan - The 2nd cricketer after Patel about whom India needs to worry the least.

Broad - Might be the best of English pacers in these conditions if he finds his pace and venom back. But he lacks in mental/physical strength to bowl Courtney Walsh-esque long boring consistent spells when nothing much is happening off the pitch. Like Bell's batting, Broad's problem seems more mental than technical ATM.

Swann - England's best bet with the ball by lightyears. The more respect Indian batsmen show to him, the more confidence he'll gain. Sehwag, Yuvraj and Dhoni look suitable to take the attack to him. Indians need to treat his bowling like they did Warne's (though they had a very different batting lineup back then) to turn him a toothless tiger.

Anderson - His bowling is not as suited to these conditions as Broad's. But he has much much more experience, mental strength and cleverness. So it won't surprise me if he returns with better figures than Broad this series.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    That depends on which Mumbai ground your talking about since that city has 3 different ones lol. But the last time WI played us it was pretty flat until the last day where WI collapsed out of no where. I would have loved Delhi too haha, instant win on that pitch.

Any reason why Chennai doesn't get a game and Nagpur keeps getting one? Honestly Chennai is one of the better places to play test cricket, there's some serious crowd as well.

Nagpur on the other hand hardly has any people, although I will admit it's an excellent ground and wicket. Just that it was built too far away from the city itself.
    Chennai, Kanpur, Delhi, Mohali - Feb-March Oz series

With NZ, Eng and Oz tour all 10 test grounds get a game

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Good start. I think England should defiitely take way some positives: e.g Swann. Outbowled some very illustrious spinners of the past in India. No easy task.

Pujara looks awesome (at home, always have to say that w/ Indian batting). I think at the end of the series, it's officially time for Tendulkar to be dropped barring a return to form. Not that I think that will happen, but I think it should. Of course, Yuvraj sucks and so does Raina. So maybe Badri or something?

Though I shudder at Sehwag, Kohli, Yuvraj and Raina lineup when India go overseas...but hey, can't get worse than losing every match like the last two series, so might as well.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Though I shudder at Sehwag, Kohli, Yuvraj and Raina lineup when India go overseas...but hey, can't get worse than losing every match like the last two series, so might as well.
    Kohi? You mean the bloke that thoroughly outbatted Laxman and Dravid in Australia?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Good start. I think England should defiitely take way some positives: e.g Swann. Outbowled some very illustrious spinners of the past in India. No easy task.

Pujara looks awesome (at home, always have to say that w/ Indian batting). I think at the end of the series, it's officially time for Tendulkar to be dropped barring a return to form. Not that I think that will happen, but I think it should. Of course, Yuvraj sucks and so does Raina. So maybe Badri or something?

You won't have to worry about Kohli overseas. Probably the most suited-for-overseas batsman India has produced in a long time.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    **** off Jono you parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Bell - It really amazes me how he isn't one of England's best 3 players of spin. He definitely has the best technique for the job IMO, but surprisingly almost always makes a mistake early in his inning. It has become somewhat of a mental block now I think. He will rule once he overcomes that.

People have said this about Bell for years, and apart from a few glimmers of class, he's flattered to deceive.

He's still a decent player, but he's been the opposite of Chanderpaul; he looks a lot better than he really is.

Vic and I have hammered on this for ages but he's way, way too reliant on that shot down the ground to assert himself.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Kohli has as perfect a gsme a sub cont bat can have for non sub cont conditions.

It's a half-decent (not very good) start for India, and while seeing England pull the game into the second session of the fifth day was disappointing, there are a few good things that don't need to be changed- while a lot has been spoken of Pujara and Ojha, another key issue is that of Umesh Yadav. The England seamers managed just one tailender wicket, while Yadav has snared four, on a flat deck with low bounce. India need to persist with him for the next two years and not discard him like they did Ishant (and are now staring at the frightful possibility of Dinda being a strike bowler).

One disappointment, apart from the failure to squash the English batting in the second innings, is the total lack of support from the batsmen who can bowl. Ashwin bowled 45 overs in one innings, and 28 in another. Ojha bowled more than fifty. The pacers came close to 20 each. In both innings, all the bowling options Dhoni had at his disposal, bowled a grand total of nine overs across the match! That's really poor, especially from Yuvraj, who is fighting for the number six place in the batting lineup. If there's no support from the batsmen when they're bowling, not only will the bowlers struggle, but India's number six won't be found.

What could do with a bit of work, though, is the spin combination. Ojha and Ashwin have been unconvincing on this surface, which is a far cry from a rank turner. We're talking of taking a bagful of wickets for under a hundred each. They're not as good as the top three Indian spinners, and need to turn the ball a lot more to be effective in batting-friendly conditions. Harbhajan can help these blokes out a little, as he's not an overly selfish bloke.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    It's a half-decent (not very good) start for India, and while seeing England pull the game into the second session of the fifth day was disappointing, there are a few good things that don't need to be changed- while a lot has been spoken of Pujara and Ojha, another key issue is that of Umesh Yadav. The England seamers managed just one tailender wicket, while Yadav has snared four, on a flat deck with low bounce. India need to persist with him for the next two years and not discard him like they did Ishant (and are now staring at the frightful possibility of Dinda being a strike bowler).

One disappointment, apart from the failure to squash the English batting in the second innings, is the total lack of support from the batsmen who can bowl. Ashwin bowled 45 overs in one innings, and 28 in another. Ojha bowled more than fifty. The pacers came close to 20 each. In both innings, all the bowling options Dhoni had at his disposal, bowled a grand total of nine overs across the match! That's really poor, especially from Yuvraj, who is fighting for the number six place in the batting lineup. If there's no support from the batsmen when they're bowling, not only will the bowlers struggle, but India's number six won't be found.

What could do with a bit of work, though, is the spin combination. Ojha and Ashwin have been unconvincing on this surface, which is a far cry from a rank turner. We're talking of taking a bagful of wickets for under a hundred each. They're not as good as the top three Indian spinners, and need to turn the ball a lot more to be effective in batting-friendly conditions. Harbhajan can help these blokes out a little, as he's not an overly selfish bloke.
    Yuvraj could have been given more overs in the second innings. Agree with that.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Not a good opening Test for England, but at least we showed that we can score 400+ in these conditions, hopefully in future innings we can do so without having to dig ourselves out of a rather large hole in the first place.

Can't speak highly enough of Alastair Cook with the bat. His powers of concentration are immense, and despite not looking like he has the ideal technique to play spin effectively, yet, as he always does, he finds a way to succeed.

Despite sertain positives we can take from this Test, there's no doubt we've been clearly second best against the hosts. Our bowling, so disciplined and accurate in the UAE, was down on pace and less threatening, it may only be the first Test but that is a concern. Swann was excellent and the obvious change is to give him some support in Monty Panesar, with Tim Bresnan the likeliset to sit the next one out. Much speculation about Broad's place in the side too, but I can't see them leaving him out just yet, even if Steve Finn would offer us something different.

Samit Patel has been unlucky with the bat, getting two stiff LBW's, but if Panesar is selected his part-time off-spin will be of lesser importance. If he is rated as one of our best batsmen in these conditions then of course his position should be retained, personally would be happier with one of our other alternatives in there.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    People have said this about Bell for years, and apart from a few glimmers of class, he's flattered to deceive.

He's still a decent player, but he's been the opposite of Chanderpaul; he looks a lot better than he really is.
    Inconsistency and never quite achieving full potential is the problem. Bell is a good player but his glimmers of brilliance show what he could achieve but never quite hits the mark with.

LFD
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    England v India: Ian Botham and Stuart Broad in Twitter spat

Sir Ian Botham has hit out at Stuart Broad after the England bowler reacted angrily to criticism of his form.
    After England's defeat by India in the first Test, Broad tweeted: "Before you listen to too many ex-playing 'experts' being negative, ask them if they ever won a Test series in India...#28years."
    Botham then sent a tweet to Broad, criticising his overseas performances.
    He wrote: "Didn't average 40+ with the ball overseas! Not sure what I scored vs India with the bat? #justsaying"

Botham, England's record wicket-taker with 383 victims, had earlier left Broad out of his England team for the second Test during his post-match analysis for Sky Sports.

Broad failed to take a wicket in Ahmedabad and was dismissed for three on the final day as England crumbled to a nine-wicket defeat.

He now averages 41.71 with the ball overseas and just 14.86 with the bat, compared to his home records of 28.74 and 34.52 respectively.

Botham had a batting average of 61.55 and a bowling average of 25.53 in seven Tests in India, although he sat out the 1984-85 tour, when David Gower's men clinched England's last victory in the Asian nation.
    Botham called for England to make four changes for the second Test, starting on Friday in Mumbai.
    He wants to see Steven Finn, Monty Panesar, Eoin Morgan and Jonny Bairstow brought in for Broad, Tim Bresnan, Samit Patel and Ian Bell, who is flying home to attend the birth of his child.
    Broad later tweeted to play down the row.

He wrote: "Spat with @BeefyBotham?? What spat? Love Beefy, best bowler England have ever had, then add his batting. Twitter is funny at times!"
    BBC Sport - England v India: Ian Botham and Stuart Broad in Twitter spat

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    To be honest I would imagine most of the criticism is aimed at Nick Knight again, as he always says a lot but never actually did anything in test cricket, was one of our finest ever one day openers granted but when it comes to tests getting criticism from him must feel like getting it off a keyboard warrior on here to the players.

Thread Information