• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cook (c)
Root
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Prior (wk)
Patel
Broad (vc)
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Looks a pretty solid line up to me... Would this be the likely XI as things stand?
If we go for a five-man attack, possibly if you replace Morgan with Bairstow. My guess is that we'll go for four bowlers tho & Compton's experience will put him ahead of Root. So something like this:

Cook*
Trott
Bell
Bairstow
Compton
Morgan
Prior+
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn/Panesar

Maybe Bres for Finn/Monty if we wanna stack the batting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can't see them not play 3 seamers having picked 5 in the squad.

Suspecting
Cook
Root
Trott
Bell
Bairstow
Compton
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'll think England will go into the first test with:

1 Cook 2 Compton 3 Trott 4 Bell 5 Bairstow 6 Morgan 7 Prior 8 Broad 9 Swann 10 Anderson 11 Finn.

Such a long tour..

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see them not play 3 seamers having picked 5 in the squad.

Suspecting
Cook
Root
Trott
Bell
Bairstow
Compton
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn
Yep pretty much. Although I think Compton will bat above Bairstow. Pitches in India generally offer something to all bowlers and India obviously play spin better than seam. Morgan I assume is there as an emergency selection if everyone goes down with Delhi belly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I still can't see why the selectors would take Morgan if it's not to play him.

Ditto giving him a central contract, actually.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll think England will go into the first test with:

1 Cook 2 Compton 3 Trott 4 Bell 5 Bairstow 6 Morgan 7 Prior 8 Broad 9 Swann 10 Anderson 11 Finn.

Such a long tour..
Patel in for Morgan and that is what I would go for. I find it unlikely the selectors will agree.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I still can't see why the selectors would take Morgan if it's not to play him.

Ditto giving him a central contract, actually.
Reckon the selectors' logic behind Morgan is that, because he seems to have sorted out that strange trigger movement of his and is now scoring OD runs again, he will also have sorted out his Test form. Conveniently forgetting that his other problems of nicking off and playing good spinners remains having played next to no first class cricket since his diabolical tour of the UAE.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Wouldn't bring Patel in for Morgan I'd go with Compton Isn't in much form himself either. I'd open with Compton though rather than Root at this stage although that said the last bloke in his early 20s to make a test debut for us while an opener didn't do too badly.

Evilpengwinz

Cricket Spectator
I think the XI should be as follows:

Cook (C)
Root
Trott
Bell
Bairstow/Compton (Both play if 6 batsmen/4 bowlers)
Prior (+)
Bresnan
Swann
Anderson
Any two (Assuming 5 bowlers) of Broad/Patel/Finn/Onions/Panesar depending on conditions

Root and Cook are the only two proper openers in the squad, so I'd expect both of them to play. Trott isn't in great form, but keep him at 3. Move everyone up one spot in place of KP, which means Prior at 6 and Bresnan at 7. No reason why Bresnan can't bat at 7 in tests IMO.

Could pick either Bairstow or Compton at 5, think England will stick with Bairstow though after his 95 @ Lord's. If Ian Bell misses any tests then I guess both will play that match anyway.

I'd give Bresnan all 4 tests v India, his batting will be needed, conditions should suit him more than the other seamers, and he averages 33 in the subcontinent with the ball (He's only played 3 tests in Asia though, 2 against Bangladesh). We'll also need Anderson with the new ball, so if we have to drop any bowlers to bring in Patel, it should be Broad IMO, especially if he's bowling the 80mph crap that he was bowling in the final test against SA. Unfortunately, the selectors are incapable of dropping Broad :dry: So I fully expect to see the enforcer bowling military medium and picking up 0/120 in every test this winter.

Swann plays all 4 tests if his elbow is okay, Monty is the 2nd spinner if needed, which he probably will be. Patel comes in if there's a pitch which is really turning square. Root can bowl offspin as well. I would've had Tredwell in the squad as well but meh, I guess he'll get called up if any of the spinners are injured.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My boi Compton.

jeezarse, drop taylor just like that? not even take him over there. your selectors are all over the shop
Taylor has looked wayyy out of his depth so far. No harm in sending him away, he's only young.

Morgan though, wtf.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
London Indian food is hardly Authentic. There's no perspiration in the food.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
England will be monumentally daft to play two specialst spinners

Both Swann and Monty have poor records against India.
If England want to win this series , they have to hit India's batting hard with pace - Finn must play.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Yeah but the last non Asian team to win in India was the Aussies in '04 who played with only 1 spinner we might as well play to our strengths and trust them to have the skills to perform over there.

Disagree on Finn been not good enough at Test level he has good days and bad days the former of which we are more likely to see more often.

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah but the last non Asian team to win in India was the Aussies in '04 who played with only 1 spinner we might as well play to our strengths and trust them to have the skills to perform over there.

Disagree on Finn been not good enough at Test level he has good days and bad days the former of which we are more likely to see more often.
I don't think England needs spinner for the sake of playing spinners. Swann might be come handy in case of a turner, though I won't be surprised if he struggles here. Pacers have generally bowled better than spinners in India. England needs to go by strengths and play their best bowlers.

Finn, Anderson, Broad and Swann should be first choice bowlers. Monty should be given chance only if the pitch is rank turner like Mumbai or Kanpur one.