• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why the **** does Panesar always get to bowl much more overs than Swann when they play together?

Also, lolled at India's lineup. Absolutely pointless.

Xuhaib

International Coach
no team should be loosing the match on this track after winning the toss unless that team goes by the name New Zealand.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Furball vs Jono

Rules: 2 points per test win - 2 points to Jono
1 point for whichever country has the most centurions over the course of the series Jono takes a 2-1 lead
1 point for whichever country has the highest wicket taker over the course of the series Ojha leads the way with 9
1 point for series win
.5 for Highest scorer each match - Pujara's 206* gives Jono the half point
.5 highest wicket taker each match Ojha takes 9 wickets, same as all England's bowlers combined, so another half point to Jono.

Furball 0-3 Jono

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
What we need to see is for this pair to negotiate the first session watchfully while completing their centuries. Then KP and those to follow him cutting loose after the break to put real pressure on the Indians while Cook keeps the scoreboard ticking along at the other end. By half way through the final session, there'll be only two possible results on offer to the Indians, and their heads will drop accordingly. They don't like it up 'em.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(When does Trott's place in the side become under threat?) Worth repeating.

It's a fair question. I suspect the answer will be when we're not also wondering who should open with Cook, who should bat at 6 and whether Bell is worth sticking with. Throw in the eternal KPism, we're asking questions about 5 of the top 6 next summer, which isn't ideal. Perhaps Trott will be more under threat if Compton makes some big scores, since surely his future won't be at the top of the order once we're out of the SC. Beyond that, there probably isn't a viable alternative in the county game. Who would you play at 3 if Trott was discarded?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't know, haven't really kept up with county cricket over the past year.

It's a valid question though. At some point he needs to actually score some ****ing runs, you can't just keep players in the side because you don't know who the best man to replace him is.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know, haven't really kept up with county cricket over the past year.

It's a valid question though. At some point he needs to actually score some ****ing runs, you can't just keep players in the side because you don't know who the best man to replace him is.
Yes, I agree. And I think he's been given something of a free ride in the media and places like CW because there have been more obvious complaints to be made against Bell and KP this year. But as I said, the current state of flux means we're having to prioritise whose place should be up for grabs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still, he does technically fill an allrounder's spot so an average of 35 isn't awful.
Sorry, but there's no way Yuvraj is a test all-rounder's arsehole. Has 9 wickets at practically 60 each. Might be hard to get away in limited overs stuff, but SLA darts in tests don't cut the mustard.

Wasn't around to post yesterday, but that Stuart Broad bloke is struggling hey?
Yup. Kinda asks the question, who is the real Stuart Broad? The piechcuking lady boy or the full-pitching swing bowler he briefly was last year?

Not even close, atrocious decision. He's been absolutely dire beyond doubt in this series..

Was he the one who did in Fatel twice last game as well?
Umpiring has been woeful, it must be said. Zak's dismissal was comically dire.

Harbhajan just **** off.

Both Harbhajan and Yuvraj in the test team, really distressing stuff.
Yeah, India are kidding themselves wih Harby. Used to be a bowler, but doesn't get the rip of yore.

I know we're rank at spin and all, but surely a leggie or an SLA bowler would've been better value given Cook's the only top seven lefty we have?

Anyway, decent day's cricket. If it was India who were two down on 170-odd chasing 320-ish I'd have no worries about saying they were in the box seat, but with the collapsable nature of our subsequent batsman (Prior the exception proving the rule) it's a 50/50 shout at best.

Cook not the best overnight restarter either. Hope I'm wrong, but...

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah I had a feeling this would happen, 320 odd runs batting first on a pretty good batting wicket isn't good enough unfortunately, and India seem to be relying more on England just imploding against spin more than anything. We have our task cut out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes, I agree. And I think he's been given something of a free ride in the media and places like CW because there have been more obvious complaints to be made against Bell and KP this year. But as I said, the current state of flux means we're having to prioritise whose place should be up for grabs.
At least KP's had 2 great innings this year - the innings in Sri Lanka and in the 2nd Test v South Africa.

Trott has done nothing since his double ton against Sri Lanka at home last summer. That might even have been the last time he tonned up.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He toned up in the 4th innings in Galle, and it was a top knock, but he hasn't done much since. What I find worrying was that he got a few starts in the summer (4 50's I think) but he didn't once kick on and score more than 70.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Trott's current travails shows what difference baseline ability makes to players when they're not in prime touch.

I reckon anyone who's watched any reasonable amount of cricket would say, after watching the two players in action, that Pietersen was the more lavishly gifted batsman and even when he can't buy a run he always looks likely to score if he clicks (SLA excepted, obvz), but Trott, with his more limited, pared-down scoring options, can look nigh on shotless when he's not quite there.

Had similar spell during the 09/10 SA tour and he managed to get out of that, thanks in part to some friendlier offerings on the following tour of Bangladesh.

We're in NZ next, aren't we? :ph34r:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, decent day's cricket. If it was India who were two down on 170-odd chasing 320-ish I'd have no worries about saying they were in the box seat, but with the collapsable nature of our subsequent batsman (Prior the exception proving the rule) it's a 50/50 shout at best.

Cook not the best overnight restarter either. Hope I'm wrong, but...

All true. When I said earlier that our last 7 wickets could tumble for not many, it was because for some reason I thought we were three down. I meant our last 8, given the lack of experience / quality at 5 & 6. And I don't think we can rely on Prior too frequently. A better side would be aiming for and expecting a lead of 150+ from this position. Which you probably need on this pitch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who would you play at 3 if Trott was discarded?
Going back to this, I'm not entirely convinced the selectors have a scooby either.

England kind of got lucky that everyone they threw at the batting lineup between 2004 and 2005 kind of stuck. In a way, they've been victims of the stability of Strauss, Tresco/Cook, Vaughan/Trott, KP, Bell and Collingwood. Since Collingwood's retired we've essentially given caps to an entirely new middle order and none of them yet look like being permanent fixtures.

IMO, the selectors not picking Taylor for the 2010 series against Bangladesh was an error that's been compounded a few times over.