• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
did the ball really start to turn and grip after lunch? Because our score seems below par otherwise atm
Turned more than last test and bounced. Pujara seemed largely untroubled. Regardless of how good the guy is/ends up he is in some serious nick at present and making England pay.

Would say our only hope is another Cookie special.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh gawd gambhiring tennis:wacko:

Lets see how it is when both teams bat, if we don't get over 200 in the first innings, as seems almost the norm for us, then India are comfortably ahead. If we bowl them out quickly and actually show some gumption with the bat, we're possible faves.

flibbertyjibber

Grecian, I am just going on our usual crapness against spin and the fact we are batting last on what will be a very difficult pitch. I think we missed a trick not bowling them out for less than 250 when we had the chance.

grecian

Grecian, I am just going on our usual crapness against spin and the fact we are batting last on what will be a very difficult pitch. I think we missed a trick not bowling them out for less than 250 when we had the chance.
Oh, I'm in your camp really, but it's not as desperate as after the first day in the first match, and you'd hope Cook and Priors partnership has shown our bats Ojha and Ashwin, are not that good.

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That's because pacers failed to play their part. I don't expect them to pick 5-fer in India. But they need to chip in 2-3 wickets to remain in the game. You can't expect spinners to do everything. Unhelpful pitch can't be used as an excuse for being completely useless.

Easy wickets, fluke wickets, tail-ender wickets or whatever, pacers have to support spinners if they want to restrict India to a manageable total.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I didn't watch much of the game but it does seem premature to say that India is well ahead at the moment. Let's see how England bats first. India's 3 spinner attack does look menacing but as Ashwin showed quick runs are possible on this wicket and there are several England batsmen who could play a similar innings.

grecian

I didn't watch much of the game but it does seem premature to say that India is well ahead at the moment. Let's see how England bats first. India's 3 spinner attack does look menacing but as Ashwin showed quick runs are possible on this wicket and there are several England batsmen who could play a similar innings.
Yeah, could be a time for KP really, a bit of pace means the ball will be coming onto the bat. Glad JB is playing too, good striker of the ball. If Trott, Cook, or Comp could just play a long innings, we've got people who can score quickly, and unsettle the spinners, down the order.

Not going to happen though obvs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Watching highlights with Hindi commentary. The reason Hindi commentary sucks is that it's urban guys who don't speak or write in unadulterated Hindi that are doing commentary. They are guys who speak English better than Hindi. The Hindi commentators of 80's were professionals and much better.

Last edited:

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Broad's time looks about up, no penetration whatsoever like bresnan. meaker or onions should be given a chance if finn remains unfit. alltough onions is more like for like for anderson.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hindi commentary is a dying breed though. At some point soon it'll likely be scrapped altogether. I wonder what the ratings are for Hindi vs English commentary.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Watching highlights with Hindi commentary. The reason Hindi commentary sucks is that it's urban guys who don't speak or write in unadulterated Hindi that are doing commentary. They are guys who speak English better than Hindi. The Hindi commentators of 80's were professionals and much better.
I don't think channels like Star follow any criteria for hiring commentators. You're in if you're an ex player and have a reasonable smattering of some 50 words in your arsenal that you can endlessly regurgitate. I like Dravid, he lends an air of calm to the action. Much like Benaud in that regard. But as above average as his Hindi is for someone hailing from the South, surely he has no business doing Hindi commentary? They seem to think a a good player automatically translates to a good raconteur, which is why you find hacks like Akram, Ramiz Raja, Russell Arnold, Manjrekar, etc in the box.

I hope nobody approaches Tendulkar for a gig.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wasn't around to post yesterday, but that Stuart Broad bloke is struggling hey?

Also Che Guevara wafg

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Russell Arnold has some reasonable insight. Akram isn't bad sometimes either.

None of you can complain until you have to deal with Danny Morrison and Craig McMillan. Regularly.

Ganguly is the best of the new crop of former players.

Daemon

Dravid: Well if you haven't been following this game and have just tuned in to your newspaper, internet...

:laugh: