• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Serious point Spark, is there a subforum plan for this series as you guys may get quite a lot of work with Indian fans starting lots of threads over every minor thing in this series. Might be easier for you guys seeing as we will lose and they want revenge etc...

Spark

Global Moderator
Serious point Spark, is there a subforum plan for this series as you guys may get quite a lot of work with Indian fans starting lots of threads over every minor thing in this series. Might be easier for you guys seeing as we will lose and they want revenge etc...
I don't believe we have a subbie planned, no - especially as we have another big series at the same time. But I could be wrong, have been less than active lately.

And if people want to troll, they can **** off pre-emptively, tyvm. Save us time.

flibbertyjibber

I don't believe we have a subbie planned, no - especially as we have another big series at the same time. But I could be wrong, have been less than active lately.

And if people want to troll, they can **** off pre-emptively, tyvm. Save us time.
What series is that?:ph34r:

ViruTheBest

Banned
Please learn how batting works before posting any more on the subject.
I already do but clearly many English fans don't. You will be stuck in this vicious cycle until then. Our batting legacy is something other countries could only dream of achieving.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I already do but clearly many English fans don't. You will be stuck in this vicious cycle until then. Our batting legacy is something other countries could only dream of achieving.
:huh:

An 8-0 overseas embarrassment?

An opener who resembles this guy?

A middle order batsman that only Jono could love?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I fail to see the obsession with fitness. As long as you are match fit it is usually enough for batsmen as well as being a safe catcher. You guys are superior to Pakistan in training, fitness, preparation and lack of scandals, yet still got white washed.

Greg Chapell himself said when in charge of India that talent and skills > fitness. I was talking about the top 6. I would still go for Dhoni at 7 rather than Prior as I am not convinced Prior can play in all conditions. You saw with Dhoni he can bat aggressively, anchor an innings which is what you want at 7 for our team. Like Gilly.

Footwork is not necessary. Pretty much every English batsmen plays text book style and their stats are poorer than many Indian batsmen. Ian Chapell once said that with Viru the fact he keeps so still actually helps his hand/eye coordination. If reflexes slow down, that is another matter.

But harping on about footwork and fitness is why your team may return to the days of the 90's. There is a lack of talent in England but this obsession with traditional and orthodox players is silly.
And yet we still managed to whitewash you the last time we played test. Maybe this whole fitness, orthodox cricket and planning actually is a factor? :dry:

On the matter of a sub forum - There was one for the India tour of England wasn't there? The Australia v India series worked out okay without a subbie, but there were 16,000 posts in that thread, which I guess you could argue, is a bit crazy.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Even though we will almost certainly lose this series it is going to be fun as there are some Indians are making out their side are the best in the world if not ever the way they are going on. Boy will it be fun to see them sweat a bit if it happens, probably vanish though like last years bravado boys.

benchmark00

No matter how bad the odd Indian fan is, they aren't as bad as a number of English fans on this site.

Burgey

I fail to see the obsession with fitness. As long as you are match fit it is usually enough for batsmen as well as being a safe catcher. You guys are superior to Pakistan in training, fitness, preparation and lack of scandals, yet still got white washed.

Greg Chapell himself said when in charge of India that talent and skills > fitness. I was talking about the top 6. I would still go for Dhoni at 7 rather than Prior as I am not convinced Prior can play in all conditions. You saw with Dhoni he can bat aggressively, anchor an innings which is what you want at 7 for our team. Like Gilly.

Footwork is not necessary. Pretty much every English batsmen plays text book style and their stats are poorer than many Indian batsmen. Ian Chapell once said that with Viru the fact he keeps so still actually helps his hand/eye coordination. If reflexes slow down, that is another matter.

But harping on about footwork and fitness is why your team may return to the days of the 90's. There is a lack of talent in England but this obsession with traditional and orthodox players is silly.
Sorry mate, but I think that's flat out wrong. You have certain players who have economical foot work like a Sehwag or a Martyn, but for the most part batting is about footwork and balance. As for the argument that having a classical "English" technique has worked to the that side's detriment compared with Indian batsmen, isn't it fair to say the greatest Indian batsmen hav ebeen excellent technicians? Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid. All great technicians in their own right.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Native (:ph34r:) Poms generally have trouble against spin because it's not overly encouraged in the youth system - especially that vulgar antipodean wrist spin - and as a consequence they get a very rude shock in Test matches when they've never had to hold off a quality domestic tweaker in the CC.

I have an English style of batsmanship (principally front foot and high elbows) and I get yorked on leg stump every week. Just don't see enough of those balls to learn how to play them properly.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
From experience, I'll tell you that spin in English youth cricket is very much encouraged, or at least now. Counties often pick up spinners who are clearly not as good as their rival quicks and don't do as well. I did trials for a county last year and didn't make it, but someone (who I feel is a similar standard to me) and bowled spin did get in. And their is actually a lot of wrist spin nowadays, due to the Warne factor I assume. I played a game last season including 5 leg spinners.

This issue is, good quality spin bowlers in youth cricket are very rare. I've found spinners just don't generate the pace and overspin on the ball to cause trouble. They bowl with good flight, but the turn is slow, and if you use your feet well, you can usually handle them pretty well.

In senior club cricket, you get some very good spinners, but they are very traditional English spin bowlers. Ones who bowl off spin without much turn, but just bowl on the spot all day.