• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
considering that yadav is now doubtful, should india go in with 3 spinners?
the pitch is likely to have more help for the spinners, as it's already somewhat worn out apparently

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the pitch is likely to have more help for the spinners, as it's already somewhat worn out apparently
Yeah I'd probably go with three spinners if Yadav was ruled out. It's tempting the Gods to injure Zaheer in his first over though.

Motorwada

Banned
And Englands spinners >>> India's seamers

The point still stands that an extreme pitch will level the playing field somewhat.
When was the last time India were defeated on a minefield?

Thing is, India's mastery over spin is absolute. You'll get one instance in a decade when spinners have had good series against India.

These are the series averages of the main spinners against India in last few years:

Ind-NZ 2012 :- J Patel (35.14)
Ind-Oz 2011-12 :- N Lyon (41.57)
Ind-WI 2011 :- D Bishoo (62.28)
Ind-Eng 2011 :- G Swann (40.69)
Ind-WI 2011 :- D Bishoo (32.58)
Ind-SA 2010-11 :- P Harris (64.25)
Ind-NZ 2010 :- D Vettori (36.57)
Ind-Oz 2010 :- N Hauritz (65.00)
Ind-SL 2010 :- S Randiv (34.90), BAW Mendis (57.66)
Ind-SA 2010 :- P Harris (59.50)
Ind-SL 2009 :- Murali (65.66), Herath (48.81)
Ind-NZ 2009 :- D Vettori (52.28)
Ind-Eng 2008 :- Panesar (50.50), Swann (39.50)
Ind-Oz 2008 :- C White (68.40)
Ind-SL 2008 :- Mendis (18.38), Murali (22.23)
Ind-SA 2008 :- P Harris (51.00)
Ind-Oz 2007-08 :- B Hogg (60.12)
Ind-Pak 2007 :- D Kaneria (52.33)
Ind-Eng 2007 :- M Panesar (50.37)

Apart from that one bolded series spinners not only have not done well, they have been extremely poor and these series were in a variety of conditions

This is not the case with England, Oz, SA. In the same time period there have been many series where seamers have done well against these three teams.

Here are some for England

England
2012 Basil D Oliviera - Steyn (29.20) , Philander (23.66)
2011 Pataudi - P Kumar (29.53)
2010-11 Ashes - R Harris (25.54)
2010 Pak - Amir (18.36)
2009 Basil D Oliviera - Steyn (23.80), Morkel (21.47)
2009 Ashes - Hilfenhaus (27.45)
2008 Pataudi - Z Khan (21.00), I Sharma (25.16)
2007 Pataudi - Z Khan (20.33) , RP Singh (28.91)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I thought Yadav was excellent in the first test, so I'm glad to see the back of him.

If we get wiped out by Harbhajan we don't deserve to live.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think I agree with the idea that an extreme pitch is necessarily going to level the field. That would depend a lot on the relative strengths of the batsmen in the two teams. India of 2006-10 had batting that was good ween enough to get some runs against best pacers on helping wickets. Question is are England as strong against spin? From all evidence, that doesn't seem to be the case (although predictions can come back to bite you in the arse).

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

Thing is, India's mastery over spin is absolute. You'll get one instance in a decade when spinners have had good series against India.
yes i also think that ind wud benefit more from a turner than a slow & low sort of pitch.

if the probabilities were this on a slow low pitch-

india 50-60%
england 10%
draw 30-40%

the probabilites on a turner would be-

india 80%
england 20%
draw 0%

yes it probably increases england's chances but india gain far more IMO.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yadav's doubtful? Oh ****. :(

Don't tell me we're gonna bring Dinda in for him now. That kid is useless. Worst. Bowler. Ever.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

These are the series averages of the main spinners against India in last few years:

Ind-NZ 2012 :- J Patel (35.14)
Ind-Oz 2011-12 :- N Lyon (41.57)
Ind-WI 2011 :- D Bishoo (62.28)
Ind-Eng 2011 :- G Swann (40.69)
Ind-WI 2011 :- D Bishoo (32.58)
Ind-SA 2010-11 :- P Harris (64.25)
Ind-NZ 2010 :- D Vettori (36.57)
Ind-Oz 2010 :- N Hauritz (65.00)
Ind-SL 2010 :- S Randiv (34.90), BAW Mendis (57.66)
Ind-SA 2010 :- P Harris (59.50)
Ind-SL 2009 :- Murali (65.66), Herath (48.81)
Ind-NZ 2009 :- D Vettori (52.28)
Ind-Eng 2008 :- Panesar (50.50), Swann (39.50)
Ind-Oz 2008 :- C White (68.40)
Ind-SL 2008 :- Mendis (18.38), Murali (22.23)
Ind-SA 2008 :- P Harris (51.00)
Ind-Oz 2007-08 :- B Hogg (60.12)
Ind-Pak 2007 :- D Kaneria (52.33)
Ind-Eng 2007 :- M Panesar (50.37)

I disagree with this.

An average of around 35 is a very adequate return on flat wickets where teams are consistently scoring 400+ . I've highlighted the ones that I think are more than acceptable. I really doubt that the seamers have done much better in Indian conditions against India.

It will still be advantage india, I'm not doubting that, but it will place far less importance on the toss.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Darn, despite us losing he was probably the highlight of the test for me, bowled very well at pace on a dead pitch for pace men and looks a real prospect. Hope it not serious but if he is injured I hope we don't see him again this series and he is allowed to get over it properly (please send Finn home) and come back when ready.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I disagree with this.

An average of around 35 is a very adequate return on flat wickets where teams are consistently scoring 400+ . I've highlighted the ones that I think are more than acceptable. I really doubt that the seamers have done much better in Indian conditions against India.

It will still be advantage india, I'm not doubting that, but it will place far less importance on the toss.
That may well be the reason they are doing this in the first place. We may not always get lucky with the toss on tracks like this first test one.

Phil

Cricket Spectator
Hello world!

Being English... I had a bet on the series being a 2-1 win for england.... The 1 loss is out of the way now. Bring on the big odds bet gamble!

Predictions -

KP to hit a double century facing only left arm slow.
Cook to get bored of being "safe" and hits 2 back to back overs of 6's
Bresnan to bowl well for 2 overs in a row
Ian Bell to shave his head
The commentators never to mention KP's exile from the England squad ever again.
The decision not to play Monty Panaesar (Who ive met... and he is a dick) in the first test, will never be mentioned again.
Oh - England to win the next toss, put up a modest 375 all out, then to bowl India all out twice for 180 + 145, and win in just over 2 days.

Print it!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Hello world!

Being English... I had a bet on the series being a 2-1 win for england.... The 1 loss is out of the way now. Bring on the big odds bet gamble!

Predictions -

KP to hit a double century facing only left arm slow.
Cook to get bored of being "safe" and hits 2 back to back overs of 6's
Bresnan to bowl well for 2 overs in a row
Ian Bell to shave his head
The commentators never to mention KP's exile from the England squad ever again.
The decision not to play Monty Panaesar (Who ive met... and he is a dick) in the first test, will never be mentioned again.
Oh - England to win the next toss, put up a modest 375 all out, then to bowl India all out twice for 180 + 145, and win in just over 2 days.

Print it!
GIMH? :ph34r:

welcome :)