• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And ftr Cook will not get injured, he is a reptilian
Still remember the Aussie TV putting the heat-sensing camera on him and Pietersen during the last Ashes in Australia and Cook barely looking as if he was breaking a sweat on the heat-cam during one of his epic innings - whilst Pietersen looked a mass of red-heat. That must be a huge benefit for a batsman who values his wicket and may help explain some of his success in India (if he can stand the heat a lot more than his counterparts)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think someone from the England camp's definitely leaked something about Morgan playing to the travelling press. Stephen Brenkley mentioned his cack-handedness being a factor in today's Independent.

Stephen Brenkley said:
Presumably, Jonny Bairstow and Eoin Morgan are competing for the place vacated by Bell, and Morgan’s left-handedness seems to be an asset, particularly with so many overs of spin being bowled at them.
Hope to god it's a red herring.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
You might as well give Johnny a go at it, he ones of the future batsmen for England and he'll have to play on the SC sometime.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
have we actually talked about broad being vice captain? like, it seems matt prior was the man to pick. exp'd keeper, very very safe spot, 'good guy' etc. know broad is the t20 captain, but this ain't t20 cricket

and he's a bowler
Mentioned it earlier. Couldn't believe it when I read it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm with Dhoni on this one.

It's not about "rank turners" so much as it is about offering decent bounce and the chance to get the slips in play.

It's also about making sure that winning the toss is the most important part of the match.

centurymaker

International Captain
I'm with Dhoni on this one.

It's not about "rank turners" so much as it is about offering decent bounce and the chance to get the slips in play.

It's also about making sure that winning the toss is not the most important part of the match.
agreed!

bounce brings all bowlers into play.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Rank turners? The pitches need to help the bowlers roll the visitors out between 250 and 300, so that the Indians are assured of a win. While rank turners may give Swann and Panesar an advantage against the Indian side, India can compete if they bowl better. They can't compete on a flat deck when facing a massive first-innings deficit- they lost in Bangalore in 2005 and Nagpur in 2010, and almost lost against NZ in Mohali in 2003. Those were typical win-the-toss-win-the-match pitches, and I'd back the Indian batting on bowler-friendly decks a lot more than Indian bowling on flat decks.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Mentioned it earlier. Couldn't believe it when I read it.
Well there's no reason you shouldn't believe it, as he was always the likely one to get the job. Whether you agree with it is another matter, but I think it's good to see a bowler get given the job.

"We will beat these three teams on our own soil. They cannot beat us here and we will feel very happy."

centurymaker

International Captain
i doubt we'd see 'dustbowls' 'rank turners'. there hasn't been one of those for a long time.
however we may finally see wickets that provide a better spectacle.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Some more bounce would be good for both sides but from what I've heard we're gonna be playing on a pitch that got used for a game a few week back.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think it could be a mistake for India to go with more spin helpful pitches. They're clearly the superior side in the conditions, and should win most of the time on an average Indian wicket. Having one which spins more than usual brings in the opposition spinners and evens out the quality gap between the bowlers and the batters ability to play spin.

India should be backing their spinners to roll England over on a usual wicket. Because a raging turner means even the best players of spin (see India) could struggle.

It's a bit like how in South Africa, SA produced some real green tops (such as Durban) which assisted the bowlers enough, that even some average bowlers such as Harbhajan, Ishant and Sreesanth could make an impact on it. It basically reduced the gap in class between Steyn and Morkel and the Indian seamers. Whereas when India went to England and Australia, they were confronted with flatter pitches, therefore exposing the averageness in their bowling attack compared to the oppositions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it could be a mistake for India to go with more spin helpful pitches. They're clearly the superior side in the conditions, and should win most of the time on an average Indian wicket. Having one which spins more than usual brings in the opposition spinners and evens out the quality gap between the bowlers and the batters ability to play spin.

India should be backing their spinners to roll England over on a usual wicket. Because a raging turner means even the best players of spin (see India) could struggle.

It's a bit like how in South Africa, SA produced some real green tops (such as Durban) which assisted the bowlers enough, that even some average bowlers such as Harbhajan, Ishant and Sreesanth could make an impact on it. It basically reduced the gap in class between Steyn and Morkel and the Indian seamers. Whereas when India went to England and Australia, they were confronted with flatter pitches, therefore exposing the averageness in their bowling attack compared to the oppositions.
Nah you've got it all wrong. The pitches in England were greentops, remember? :p

Motorwada

Banned

Indian batting against spin >>> Oz/SA/Eng batting against pace though