• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Prior may see it as the final frontier for an absurd reason but for me it's just "business as usual." We have done well versus England for a long time in India. So we just have to replicate that.

The series shouldn't receive such attention as Mr Prior is trying to make out. It is not a final frontier in that sense.
Well we've won everywhere else in the past 12 years at least once.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricketer indulges in hyperbole.

The World is shocked.

You're just bloody lucky he didn't say that England "need to show a lot of character" to win in India.

It's just a generic soundbite in an age of tired cliches. Nothing more, nothing less.

ViruTheBest

Banned
Well we've won everywhere else in the past 12 years at least once.
India were consistent close to 2 years after they were no1. England fell quite spectacularly. Also you guys have been strong home but when faced with a real challenge like South Africa at home you were found wanting. Australia are not the force they once were.

Stapel

International Regular
I'm not sure why, but I suddenly started wondering who will open the batting for England, now Strauss is gone.

Will it be Joe Root?

ViruTheBest

Banned
But who exactly is threatening in India's line up?
Even without Dravid and Lax the team is littered with players who average 50 plus. Likes of Viru, Sachin have performed everywhere. Kohli and Pujara are stars in the making. I think it's just a case of Gambhir and the no6. But plenty of talent coming through.

ViruTheBest

Banned
Well Sehwag is threatening to burst the elastic on his trousers.
He has revolutionised opening in test cricket with much success. Had a couple of bad tours recently due to many reasons. But he will go down as one of the best. If he played Atherton/Cook/Boycott style he would be averaging 70 plus

With the exception of KP at no6 none of your other batsmen could get into our team.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Even without Dravid and Lax the team is littered with players who average 50 plus. Likes of Viru, Sachin have performed everywhere. Kohli and Pujara are stars in the making. I think it's just a case of Gambhir and the no6. But plenty of talent coming through.
Tendulkar hasn't look liked scoring anything for the past god knows how long against good bowling. Tbh neither has Sehwag. To suggest btw that only KP could get into your team when you've still got Gambhir in the side is pretty lauhable and the fact that Prior's a lot bette rin tests than Dhoni.

One of those many reasons in Sehwag's case is probably that he's a fat **** with iron feet He won't go down as one of the best because he isn't he's Hayden without the cookbook.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Love that a batting side which got past 300 twice in sixteen overseas innings is described as the best at, well, anything.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love that a batting side which got past 300 twice in sixteen overseas innings is described as the best at, well, anything.
They're clearly the best at inspiring blind devotion amongst their fans, yay them:)

ViruTheBest

Banned
Tendulkar hasn't look liked scoring anything for the past god knows how long against good bowling. Tbh neither has Sehwag. To suggest btw that only KP could get into your team when you've still got Gambhir in the side is pretty lauhable and the fact that Prior's a lot bette rin tests than Dhoni.

One of those many reasons in Sehwag's case is probably that he's a fat **** with iron feet He won't go down as one of the best because he isn't he's Hayden without the cookbook.
I fail to see the obsession with fitness. As long as you are match fit it is usually enough for batsmen as well as being a safe catcher. You guys are superior to Pakistan in training, fitness, preparation and lack of scandals, yet still got white washed.

Greg Chapell himself said when in charge of India that talent and skills > fitness. I was talking about the top 6. I would still go for Dhoni at 7 rather than Prior as I am not convinced Prior can play in all conditions. You saw with Dhoni he can bat aggressively, anchor an innings which is what you want at 7 for our team. Like Gilly.

Footwork is not necessary. Pretty much every English batsmen plays text book style and their stats are poorer than many Indian batsmen. Ian Chapell once said that with Viru the fact he keeps so still actually helps his hand/eye coordination. If reflexes slow down, that is another matter.

But harping on about footwork and fitness is why your team may return to the days of the 90's. There is a lack of talent in England but this obsession with traditional and orthodox players is silly.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Even England did better than that in the UAE and Sri Lanka. Well they got past 300 twice (IIRC) but it was in 10 innings.

And FTR, there's no way I would consider England's batting better than India's.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The great Australian side talked of the final frontier when they came to India, and look they had been giving a tonking to everyone all over the world so to call it the final frontier when they came over to India was fair game.

Matt Prior is now calling this the final frontier for England, surely a final frontier would imply that England have been winning everything else home and away? The fact of the matter is England were drubbed 3-0 by Pakistan in the UAE and 2-0 in England by Prior's compatriots lest we forget.

Based on this how can he call it a final frontier? It is like saying you want to complete the hardest level on a video game when you cant even get past the level for beginners that is the reality of the situation.
I'm pretty sure he said the Sub Continent was the final frontier. Yes I appreciate that the UAE isn't in the SC, but he means Asia.

Given that Matt Prior also hasn't won a Test match in the USA, in Japan or on the Moon I think we can put this one down to artistic license and move on.
:laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see that curious strain of Indian hubris is still alive and well.
One wonders how long the troll will last in the series.

Though I seem to remember a load of Indians appeared trolling before the series over here and vanished quite quickly. Probably one of the same ones under a new name.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Prior may see it as the final frontier for an absurd reason but for me it's just "business as usual." We have done well versus England for a long time in India. So we just have to replicate that.

The series shouldn't receive such attention as Mr Prior is trying to make out. It is not a final frontier in that sense.
I apologise that "Mr Prior" is trying to build anticipation for this series. Lets all go back to not giving a **** now, shall we? 8-)

Spark

Global Moderator
I fail to see the obsession with fitness. As long as you are match fit it is usually enough for batsmen as well as being a safe catcher. You guys are superior to Pakistan in training, fitness, preparation and lack of scandals, yet still got white washed.

Greg Chapell himself said when in charge of India that talent and skills > fitness. I was talking about the top 6. I would still go for Dhoni at 7 rather than Prior as I am not convinced Prior can play in all conditions. You saw with Dhoni he can bat aggressively, anchor an innings which is what you want at 7 for our team. Like Gilly.

Footwork is not necessary. Pretty much every English batsmen plays text book style and their stats are poorer than many Indian batsmen. Ian Chapell once said that with Viru the fact he keeps so still actually helps his hand/eye coordination. If reflexes slow down, that is another matter.

But harping on about footwork and fitness is why your team may return to the days of the 90's. There is a lack of talent in England but this obsession with traditional and orthodox players is silly.
Please learn how batting works before posting any more on the subject.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
One wonders how long the troll will last in the series.

Though I seem to remember a load of Indians appeared trolling before the series over here and vanished quite quickly. Probably one of the same ones under a new name.
Sadly, I think the result of this series will cause them to stay well past the series conclusion. and at least until Australia tour there.