• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Swann ✔ @Swannyg66

Amazed to discover that @SMeaker18 has got to international level still believing that 'played on' is different to 'bowled' in the scorebook

holy ****. this had better be true. THIS HAD BETTER BE TRUE
If I'd of just heard it was a Surrey player that might of thought this, I would of put much house on Dernbach. :laugh:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think any Englishman is confident of saving this match

Averages in the Sub-continent over six matches

Cook 43.10, with this not out included
Trott 32.18
Prior 32.12
KP 31.0
Bell 13.40

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSW

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
GF do we still have an avatar bet going on?

Also no coincidence that as soon as I fell asleep, England managed to fight back with ~200 runs for the loss of 3 wickets.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, the match is in perfect viewing hours for me. Starts at noon which ensures I can wake up late and eat breakfast while watching the first few overs of the day and dinner during the last few.

Cook though, WAG. Haven't watched the highlights but it sounds like he only gave one chance and was pretty solid. Good work from Compton as well on debut.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Cook scoring runs isn't surprising what will be surprising is if the rest of the line up manages to do so. I mean lets be fair if there was one batsman in the set up we weren't worried about scoring runs it was probably Cook.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Cook, KP, Prior and Samit are all good against the spinners and will come good at some point or the other during the series with big scores. Compton looks solid as well. The real worry would be Trott and Bell and whoever replaces Bell next test. But this opening partnership has been all kinds of awesome.. India have a tough first session ahead tomm and that will tell us if we can go on to win or if England will fight it out this time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
GF do we still have an avatar bet going on?

Also no coincidence that as soon as I fell asleep, England managed to fight back with ~200 runs for the loss of 3 wickets.
Balls, I didn't think you'd accepted that bet so Jono took it.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
As Geoffrey said the demons are between his ears.

I like Bell but he may as well stay at home after the birth and come back for NZ as he is no use to us doing stuff like that.
It is between his ears. But he's also sadly just not good enough. Good lad. Team man. But should have been dropped long ago. What I don't understand is people who suggest he should be picked for when piechuckers come to England - so he can fill his boots and have those who cannot distinguish between base metal and gold compare him to Sanga and Clarke and Amla -, and then 'rested' for SC tours. So he doesn't have to face Ajmal et al.

This is crazy reasoning. England need in his position to have a batsman they can rely on under all conditions and in any situation. To defend, consolidate, attack, counter-attack, and fill his boots when the going is good etc. Bell is now and has throughout his Test career only ever been good for the latter - and that on specific types of track. He is a 'fill his boots when the going is good' merchant. That's it.

He doesn't have the technique to keep out the top bowlers. Nor the range of scoring shots to break the shackles when these bowlers have him under the cosh and are applying sustained pressure - whether it's quicks making him hop about or spinners deceiving him with their variation. Clarke can do those things. As can Amla, Sanga and half a dozen others with varying degrees of consistency and proficiency. Bell cannot.

In fact he's as likely whenever he faces a balanced and potent attack to surrender limply to the seamers as to the spinners, as he's proved many times in the past. He is not mentally tough enough. He doesn't have the technique. His management of risk and reward in his shot making is atrocious. None of this is likely to improve. England would likely have won that final Test and salvaged a draw in the SA series has they dropped Bell. Young Bairstow's already better than him. If the selectors continue picking him against all evidence I'll simply stop supporting England. I have no support to spare for those who won't help themselves.