• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English off season 2012/13

brockley

International Captain
Lot of Saffies signed in the last 6 months Myburgh.Jennings,Meschende,Rippon,Cooke,Delange,so expect Saffies to be raided the next 6 months despite the 7 year waiting time.
Hogan and Angus Robson Aussies signed,expect Stoinos and Fawcett to get county contracts.
Lot of players released,few have joined counties,look to 2nd division pros to join 1st division.
Let the games begin.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couple of interesting ones there: Jack Brooks refusing a new contract at Northants, I guess he thinks a Div 1 side would maybe raise his profile with a view to potential England honours, & Murray Goodwin being released from Sussex. No word of a retirement from Murray yet tho; wonder if he'll be picked up or (wishful thinking on my part, perhaps) make a belated Zimbabwean return.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England Test squad to tour India

Alastair Cook (captain, Essex)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Nick Compton (Somerset)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Monty Panesar (Sussex)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
England Performance Programme squad to tour India

Jos Buttler (Somerset)
Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
Varun Chopra (Warwickshire)
Matthew Coles (Kent)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Ben Foakes (Essex)
James Harris (Glamorgan)
Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Azeem Rafiq (Yorkshire)
Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Wright (Warwickshire)
England squad for Hong Kong Sixes

Tournament to be played at Kowloon Cricket Club on October 27 and 28.

Josh Cobb (captain, Leicestershire)
Adam Ball (Kent)
Keith Barker (Warwickshire)
Ben Brown (Sussex)
Chris Nash (Sussex)
Tom Smith (Lancashire)
Ross Whiteley (Derbyshire)

Andy Hurry (manager, Somerset)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seems odd to not name Woakes in any of them - wonder if it's a conscious decision to give him a winter off?

theegyptian

Seems odd to not name Woakes in any of them - wonder if it's a conscious decision to give him a winter off?
i think your spot on there. There was a bit of talk that Woakes had been overworked the past couple of years. England know what he can do.

I'd guess he gets a callup to the england lions squad that goes to Aus in Feb

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Compton :wub:

Hopefully it means Woakes is in the short-term England plans (perhaps next cab off the rank should someone break down), and as such they don't want him off on tour. But that's undoubtedly wishful thinking..

theegyptian

hopefully borthwick goes somewhere and gets a load of bowling in him because he ain't going to get it playing in England.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Couple of interesting ones there: Jack Brooks refusing a new contract at Northants, I guess he thinks a Div 1 side would maybe raise his profile with a view to potential England honours, & Murray Goodwin being released from Sussex. No word of a retirement from Murray yet tho; wonder if he'll be picked up or (wishful thinking on my part, perhaps) make a belated Zimbabwean return.
If he's still with the same bird he was with when he retired from international cricket the first time, then no chance.

stumpski

International Captain
More developments from the counties:

Sajid Mahmood and Chaminda Vaas released by Lancs and Northants;

Alex Gidman steps down as Gloucs skipper (no surprise, they finished bottom of Div 2);

Jon Batty retires after 18 seasons, the last three at Gloucs. Useful keeper-batsman (quite a boring batsman though) who in another era probably would've got a go for England.

theegyptian

Harris signed for Middlesex today. Middlesex compiling a decent squad. Picked up Denly and Harris last two years. TRJ continues to improve. Should be competing for the championship next year.

stumpski

International Captain
To add to Lancashire's gloom, 70s stalwart Harry Pilling has died. Renowned for his short stature, it always raised a smile to see him batting with 6'4" Clive Lloyd.

I've often thought we should have an Obituaries thread btw, but it would probably need to be stickied.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To add to Lancashire's gloom, 70s stalwart Harry Pilling has died. Renowned for his short stature, it always raised a smile to see him batting with 6'4" Clive Lloyd.

I've often thought we should have an Obituaries thread btw, but it would probably need to be stickied.
Sad news indeed - little 'arry was a great favourite oop north

SeamUp

International Coach
Lot of Saffies signed in the last 6 months Myburgh.Jennings,Meschende,Rippon,Cooke,Delange,so expect Saffies to be raided the next 6 months despite the 7 year waiting time.
Hogan and Angus Robson Aussies signed,expect Stoinos and Fawcett to get county contracts.
Lot of players released,few have joined counties,look to 2nd division pros to join 1st division.
Let the games begin.
Never rated Jennings eventhough he captained SA u19. Biggest talent there is probably chinaman bowler Michael Rippon who joined Sussex.

Its starting already though. I believe 17 year-old Tom Curran who goes to Hilton College (same school Nick Compton went to) has left for England eventhough he was in the SA u17 training camp as part of the Cycle for the next u19 WC. Already playing Surrey 2nd XI. His father is former Zimbo & Northants player Kevin Curran.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I wonder if that's a by-product of the ECB's new 7 year qualification rule coming into play?

If a foreign-born UK national arrives in Britain before his 18th birthday he'll still only have to face a 4-year residency before being eligible for England. I guess that might make any waverers take the jump whereas before they might suck it and see if they get a go at a provincial side for a coupla years.

I'm sure there's loads of independent sixth form colleges ready to offer scholarships to promising SA cricketers with British passports.

brockley

International Captain
I don't think the 7 year role will stop counties signing S Africans it didn't last year.Roderick who signed with Gloucestershire is a Saffie.Fact is 2nd xl cricket is riddled with Saffies,Aussies and Europe players.Be interested if Marcus Stoinos signs with Kent,had a good year but chosen for Victoria 2nd xl,looks likely to have a run there.