Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: English off season 2012/13

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    With a nickname of Pingu I can't think why.
    Haha I know someone that goes by that same nickname (apparently because they "run like a penguin" but everyone knows the real reason..) who has ended up a law student. If Teja and Marcuss weren't proof enough that they let anyone in these days...
    ~ Cribbage

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    A man I have defended over a number of seasons (though that was seriously tested last season) has signed for my beloved Essex, Saj Mahmood has put pen to paper on a two-year deal. Will certainly offer us a bit more pace, along with Napier, Mills and Topley. Be interesting to see how he's used, but as Paul Grayson said, it's good to sign players that have a point to prove.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    A man I have defended over a number of seasons (though that was seriously tested last season) has signed for my beloved Essex, Saj Mahmood has put pen to paper on a two-year deal. Will certainly offer us a bit more pace, along with Napier, Mills and Topley. Be interesting to see how he's used, but as Paul Grayson said, it's good to sign players that have a point to prove.
    Bizzarre decision, Cambers and Masters still there too, surely that's enough?

Mind you, I'm happy was worried he'd come back to Somerset *shudder*.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Bizzarre decision, Cambers and Masters still there too, surely that's enough?

Mind you, I'm happy was worried he'd come back to Somerset *shudder*.
    Ha ha, yes didn't cover himself in glory during that stint at Taunton, and I appreciate he is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. We've lost Charl Willoughby so I think it was always the plan to being another seamer in to replace him. Not quite like for like though, a wily, experienced, consistent and reliable performer in Willoughby (generally speaking) replaced by a wild, inconsistent, paceman like Saj that can hopefully turn a few games for us.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Ha ha, yes didn't cover himself in glory during that stint at Taunton, and I appreciate he is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. We've lost Charl Willoughby so I think it was always the plan to being another seamer in to replace him. Not quite like for like though, a wily, experienced, consistent and reliable performer in Willoughby (generally speaking) replaced by a wild, inconsistent, paceman like Saj that can hopefully turn a few games for us.
    Yeah, that's the problem, Chambers and Mills have that sorted, and at least they're young enough to actually become good, even though Maurice is probably running out of time.

Maybe they want him for his alleged Limited-overs skills.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem, Chambers and Mills have that sorted, and at least they're young enough to actually become good, even though Maurice is probably running out of time.

Maybe they want him for his alleged Limited-overs skills.
    Yes fair enough, it doesn't seem a perfect fit really. Maybe there are fitness concerns over the likes of Napier, or maybe a desire to lessen the load on Masters, but admittedly Mahmood not the type of bowler to replace Masters. So the list of quicks at Chelmsford reads - Masters, Napier, Chambers, Mills, Topley, and now Mahmood. Six realistic options I don't think is too many, also not sure on the availability of Reece Topley through the season. Maybe rotation is the plan or Grayson isn't sure Mills or Topley are quite ready for consistent four-day cricket.

Maybe he has been brought in with one-day cricket in mind, but that's be a dangerous move!

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Bailey's signed for Hampshire.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Yeah, happy enough with that, decent replacement for Katich. Mckenzie coming back as well so batting looks fairly solid.

Still need to find a pace bowler though.

International Vice-Captain
    Jetan Patel Warwickshires overseas pick.

Dave Nosworthy to coach Somerset ?

If so, they're getting a quality coach.

FBU
    I wonder who will replace Giles at Warkwickshire.

International Vice-Captain
    Chris Jordan joins Sussex from Surrey.

Klinger joining Gloucestershire as captain. Not the worst decision Bracewell has ever made. Probably the best Glos could do within wage constraints - and Klinger should be available for the whole season.

Also a couple of Gloucestershire spin bowlers made the england u19 squad for their tour to SA so hopeful more positive times lie ahead

A certain M Johnson joins Worcestershire. Unfortunately for county fans it's Michael not Mitchell. Dual passport holder and wicketkeeper.

Been also watching the Bangladesh PL auction on twitter and quite a few county players signed up.

Shah, Bopara(125000- one of the higher bids), Mustard, Cobb, Roy, Liddle, Hales, Stevens, K O'Brien all signed up so far and it's still going on,

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Miles Hammond being one of the U19s - the first player Oxfordshire have had go on to England selection since... well, I have absolutely no idea of the answer to this question, it depends on what you define as England colours and what you define as an Oxfordshire player... it's not recent, anyway, that's for sure, but it certainly makes my opening lines of the new County winter season next month rather simple!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information