Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: English off season 2012/13

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Somerset has probably the youngest and most promising bowling attack on the circuit, but IMO they need one extra senior bowler to hold things together and mentor them - its pointless chucking them out there on their own against hardened county pros, as talented as these guys are.

They've got Alfonso Thomas, but he misses the start of the season with the IPL and seems to pretty much be guaranteed an injury a year. That's where I think Charl Willoughby was perfect - he was an older guy, a workhorse and could mentor the up-and-comers.

Tresco
    Suppiah
    Compo
    Hildreth
    CK
    Buttler
    Trego
    Thomas
    J Overton
    Dockrell
    Dibble

(Gregory, Meschede, Barrow, Leach, Hussain, Kirby, Waller, Jones et al)

Who/what type of player would you grab for the overseas slot?
    from this Somerset planning for 2013 season - News - Somerset County Cricket Club it seems they;re looking to strength the batting rather than the bowling. The top 5 or 6 batsmen in the squad are very good and then there is a pretty big fall off(Jones, Barrow) so i can see the need for another batsman. Possibly a lot is dependent on whether Compton is a success with England and whether KW is dropped permanently.

Would be interesting if they got another high scoring batsman as an overseas player and paired them with Tres, Compton, Hildreth and Kieswetter. Could be carnage at Taunton.

Spin is a big issue going forward imo. Dockrell is good enough to be the regular spinner but coming in and out of the season to play for Ireland really disrupts Somerset especially as there is no decent alternative.

Someone like Moeen Ali from the domestic game is someone they could target as he is a top order batsmen but also bowled a lot of overs of offspin this season. He could be the frontline spinner when Dockrell isn't there and second when he is.

On a different note Liam Plunkett signed for Yorkshire today.

Well, Looks like Abdur won't be back next season. Pakistani cricketers, gotta love 'em.

Dunno really who I want, I'd ideally like an overseas bowler that can just play through the year, but not sure who that would be, whilst strengthening the batting with some English stalwarts. Hard to see that we'll get the injuries we did last year, but International call-ups is obviously a problem.

So I guess valiant defeat is on the cards again.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    haha logging onto pakpassion but im guessing the general consensus is ****ing ecb.

probably should have its own thread
    Last edited by theegyptian; 02-10-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Doubt he'll get a 2 year ban, wouldn't be surprised if he was available to play part of next season for Somerset. Although it will depend on what recreational drug it was.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    from this Somerset planning for 2013 season - News - Somerset County Cricket Club it seems they;re looking to strength the batting rather than the bowling. The top 5 or 6 batsmen in the squad are very good and then there is a pretty big fall off(Jones, Barrow) so i can see the need for another batsman. Possibly a lot is dependent on whether Compton is a success with England and whether KW is dropped permanently.

Would be interesting if they got another high scoring batsman as an overseas player and paired them with Tres, Compton, Hildreth and Kieswetter. Could be carnage at Taunton.

Spin is a big issue going forward imo. Dockrell is good enough to be the regular spinner but coming in and out of the season to play for Ireland really disrupts Somerset especially as there is no decent alternative.

Someone like Moeen Ali from the domestic game is someone they could target as he is a top order batsmen but also bowled a lot of overs of offspin this season. He could be the frontline spinner when Dockrell isn't there and second when he is.
    The only problem then is fitting someone like Moeen into the top order - I guess it does depend on Compo's success at Test level. I wouldn't want to rely on Moeen as a first-choice spinner though, especially later in the season.

If you sign an o/s spinner, you basically guarantee them each game; its rare that you need two frontliners to Dockrell would suffer. Finding someone from the County system would be ideal, but I'm not sure who's floating around and potentially able to be signed.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

The only problem then is fitting someone like Moeen into the top order - I guess it does depend on Compo's success at Test level. I wouldn't want to rely on Moeen as a first-choice spinner though, especially later in the season.

If you sign an o/s spinner, you basically guarantee them each game; its rare that you need two frontliners to Dockrell would suffer. Finding someone from the County system would be ideal, but I'm not sure who's floating around and potentially able to be signed.
    Well, Waller's signed a new contract, and has gone to Oz on a developmental prog, would be nice to see him improving and taking a few wickets.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well, Waller's signed a new contract, and has gone to Oz on a developmental prog, would be nice to see him improving and taking a few wickets.
    What's he like? I've never seen him bowl. Stats wise he looks like a good T20 prospect, but his FC numbers are pretty average. I'm guessing there's plenty of potential there.

#BringBackMikeMunday

What's he like? I've never seen him bowl. Stats wise he looks like a good T20 prospect, but his FC numbers are pretty average. I'm guessing there's plenty of potential there.

#BringBackMikeMunday
    From what I've seen he doesn't look great as a 4-day option, but am hoping some time in Oz may help.

International Vice-Captain
    Steven Crook joins Northants.

International Vice-Captain
    Ajmal Shahzad joins Notts 3 year deal.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Billy Godleman has also swapped clubs, having been released from Essex he has signed for the newly promoted Derbyshire. Can't believe he's still only 23 years old, seems to have been around much longer.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Gary Keedy has signed for Surrey, good signing for them

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Gary Keedy has signed for Surrey, good signing for them
    Adams is a gerontophile, IMHO. Gets a proper cob on for the oldies. Brought in the 36 year old Jon Lewis last close season and has snapped up Solanki and now Keedy this time around, both of whom are also closer to 50 than 20.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    **** me would never have guessed that Zander De Bruyn was 37 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Adams is a gerontophile, IMHO. Gets a proper cob on for the oldies. Brought in the 36 year old Jon Lewis last close season and has snapped up Solanki and now Keedy this time around, both of whom are also closer to 50 than 20.
    The big irony is that Adams is probably one of the youngest CEO's

At least with Ramps quitting he won't be younger than some of the players
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information