Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuvraj as a full-fledged bowling option, post-2011 World Cup?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    I think most people would have him ahead of Raina who quite frankly isn't to my mind making enough of an effort to go get some experience on pitches that bounce which is a shame really because he's got talent anyone can see that but he needs to work on his technique.

As for the coming in at 300 that's fair enough but in test matches you want someone who can tough it out if need be not just capitalise India in that regard still haven't replaced Ganguly never mind VVS and Dravid.
    Raina is not a test player. Ganguly knew how to fight it out at 6 even though he couldn't play the short ball he knew how to deal with it. That's what Raina needs to learn but even he can be steady at home.

You haven't replaced Flintoff and he wasn't amazing either. Strauss won't be hard to replace as he was quite poor and average at best. As for replacing legends, it's always hard. But I am feeling positive about Pujara and Kohli, in fact I am sure they will make that spot theirs and succeed. The only batsmen I am worried about is Gambhir who is out of form and cementing the no6 spot. It already has quite a settled look.

I think Yuvraj can cope with pressure at home. Against Pak I remember we were losing wickets all round and he still hit a 100. It is at home too but just a case of him recovering from illness. I said 300 because I do believe that is the scenario he will be walking into mostly.

Banned
    I think most people would have him ahead of Raina who quite frankly isn't to my mind making enough of an effort to go get some experience on pitches that bounce which is a shame really because he's got talent anyone can see that but he needs to work on his technique.

As for the coming in at 300 that's fair enough but in test matches you want someone who can tough it out if need be not just capitalise India in that regard still haven't replaced Ganguly never mind VVS and Dravid.
    Yeah look mate, Kohli right now is one of the best players in the world in all formats of the game, and Pujara did the business recently at number 3 we have a conveyor belt of batters coming through a bit like the Aussies in the 90's

I would be more concerned if the board of my team dropped a player who clearly preferred playing for Delhi than his "country" but then now are reduced to pitching him as their best hope!

KP is a good player but he is carrying England on his shoulders that is a lot of pressure to be quite honest, England against spin in India are very average, they have had their arse kicked in India so many times it is not even funny.

Mate our dressing room is a very sacred place our team certainly wont be pulling any punches, we took a hiding in England last year and we are all on board to give England an absolute whipping there is no doubt about that!

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Raina's not too old so there's no point writing him off an injury that forces him to miss the IPL and then need to get some cricket before a tour someplace might help say if he gets a short term thing with a County side god knows that'd be handy for him.

Flintoffs stats were unfair to him but he provided balance. Strauss was more than just a batsman to the side though just a shame his catching went in the final 2 years. Gambhir's just atrocious has done sod all for about 3 years Tendulkar seems to be a bit out of form too but you can never tell how long it'll last with him was definitely troubled by Boult against the Kiwis.

My main worry with Yuvraj is that he's only what 4 or 5 months in remission and lets be fair he was never the fittest player beforehand so I think he might suffer in terms of endurance physically.

Back onto the openers though has Rahane coming along haven't kept up much with India's domestic matches but he looked nice in England last year.

Kohli fan are you new Indian No.6 batman or something?
    Last edited by Viscount Tom; 28-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

KP I wouldn't say is carrying the team. IF the pressures there for him so be it Its KP pressure doesn't seem to be something he feels in regards to performing.

Trott and Cook are both good players on the slower pitches Cook got a couple of 90s over the winter Compton's a good player now he seems to have worke through the mental block that held him back over the years.

Banned
    KP I wouldn't say is carrying the team. IF the pressures there for him so be it Its KP pressure doesn't seem to be something he feels in regards to performing.

Trott and Cook are both good players on the slower pitches Cook got a couple of 90s over the winter Compton's a good player now he seems to have worke through the mental block that held him back over the years.
    KP does seem to play in a care free way, which does mean that pressure perhaps wont be an issue, but he clearly sees this (playing test cricket)as the way to build his brand which will ultmately ensure that his value in the IPL stays pretty high so he will no doubt be motivated to do that.

Trott and Cook are both grinders but playing in India is a different matter completely! KP is the only guy that can influence a match there!

Compton has only player county cricket India will be a tough place for him to debut, better players than him have gone there and failed woefully to be quite honest.

Tbf the last bloke we blooded as an opener in India the captain so.

Banned
    Tbf the last bloke we blooded as an opener in India the captain so.
    Dravid made his debut against England, so does that mean any Indian batsman that makes a debut against England will be as good as Dravid then?

I said specifically last bloke to debut as an opener in India didn't do so bad so its clearly not the worst place he could be making his debut at the top. Try and read with your mind a bit more.

Anyway we're off topic.

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli_fan View Post
    Dravid made his debut against England, so does that mean any Indian batsman that makes a debut against England will be as good as Dravid then?
    Wow.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information