• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most aesthetically pleasing batsmen

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
While you can admire the dour, defensive batsman who does the job for his team, or you can be in awe of the batsman who uses his strength to club the ball to the boundary, in my opinion it's impossible to prefer them to the free flowing beauty of the graceful batsmen who makes it look so easy with his elegance and balance and poise. Late cuts, cover and square drives, leg glances, on drives.

Who have been your favourites to watch, and who from history seems to be described this way?

A favourite of mine was Mark Waugh. Seemed to make it look easier than everyone else around him. I also loved David Gower and VVS for the same reasons.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Worrell was supposedly grace personified, Kanhai and Lara were also breath taking.
And then there was Mark Waugh and Carl Hooper, runs worth their worth in gold.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Damien Martyn - no-one could play a delicate late cut or back foot drive/punch with such little effort, and such amazing timing.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
From those one has see a quick list off the cuff . . .

• Jaisimha
  • Vishwanath
  • Azhar
  • Laxman
  • Mark Waugh
  • Kim Hughes
  • Arvinda D'Silva
  • David Gower
  • Tom Graveney
  • Ted Dexter
  • Inzamam
  • Zaheer Abbas

watson

Banned
I'll pick Vishwanath, Arvinda D'Silva, Mark Waugh, and David Gower from SJSs list.

Agree with Barry Richards and Martin Crowe from Fred's list.

And then add Rohan Kanhai plus Greg Chappell.

From the by-gone era - Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji and Frank Woolley.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
More "good looking" players

Vengsarkar - upright.. similar to MCrowe
Rowe -- Yagga was a beautiful player to watch
Young Sachin
Saeed Anwar
Qasim Omar
Carl Hooper
Mohammed Yousuf
Michael Vaughn

My favorite is Azza..ooph what a player those hundreds in Eng in the 1990 series..sumptous

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Alan Kippax, Lawrence Rowe, Roy Dias are some of the eye soothing batsmen who didn't flourish record wise as much as they could have been but all very pleasing and elegant

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am the third most aesthetically pleasing batsman on my club team. Jamie plays some nice drives, our captain is left handed so naturally he looks good even playing defensive strokes, then me I guess.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I am the third most aesthetically pleasing batsman on my club team. Jamie plays some nice drives, our captain is left handed so naturally he looks good even playing defensive strokes, then me I guess.
I would be the most aesthetically pleasing batsman on my team, and I have a pretty powerful pull shot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Some familiar names as similar threads in the past. I always include Stephen Fleming, particularly his drive down the ground on my list. Blewett's was awesome too*

One name that has been mentioned that I don't agree with is Aravinda. Terrific batsman, but what part of his game was aesthetically pleasing in particular?

*When not getting clean bowled by Cameron Cuffy on 99

kingkallis

International Coach
Some familiar names as similar threads in the past. I always include Stephen Fleming, particularly his drive down the ground on my list. Blewett's was awesome too*

One name that has been mentioned that I don't agree with is Aravinda. Terrific batsman, but what part of his game was aesthetically pleasing in particular?

*When not getting clean bowled by Cameron Cuffy on 99

Flem's straight drives and yeah decent call on Blewett as well...