Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Skill Bowlers who Weren't Very Good...

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Extreme Skill Bowlers who Weren't Very Good...

Thought of this thread after looking at the career of Andre Van Troost and, to a lesser extent, Duncan Spencer.

There's something to be said for the 'extreme skills' way of looking at competitive sport. Bowlers who can swing, cut or spin the ball a serious distance are generally highly valued commodities and so in theory should be a bowler of ridiculous speed.

Alas, it doesn't always work that way for whatever reason, be it due to lack of control with the ball that effectively nullifies their strengths, mental fragility, maybe a poor captain or mismanagement.

So - which bowlers were possessed of a single 'extreme skill' be it swing, seam, spin or speed, but were ultimately mediocre players? Is someone like Van Troost perhaps the best example, or does their overall 'not very goodness' perhaps lead to an exaggeration of that one area of strength?
    Last edited by Dazinho; 11-09-2012 at 02:36 PM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The hype about Salisbury in his younger days springs to mind. Shame he was absolutely rubbish. Same goes for Schofield.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    The hype about Salisbury in his younger days springs to mind. Shame he was absolutely rubbish. Same goes for Schofield.
    Salisbury could certainly spin the ball a long way, but his lack of control meant that he just couldn't apply any sort of pressure at international level.

Never saw anything in Schofield at all to be honest. May be wrong, but I don't remember him even being a big spinner of the ball.

The common ground was that they were both leg-spinners and could both bat, which gave us the luxury of six down not equating to all out...

Venkatesh Prasad. Bowled the best slower balls in the world. No one could tell which of his deliveries were intentional slower ones.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Mohammad Sami the obvious one, I suppose. Regularly over 90mph, which is a decent lick by any estimation, but sadly his average was nearly as high as his speed gun reading too.

"Mystery" spinners have a habit of getting found out after early success as well; John Gleeson ended up with a bowling average closer to 40 than 30 and Mendis's is already well north of 30.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Venkatesh Prasad. Bowled the best slower balls in the world. No one could tell which of his deliveries were intentional slower ones.
    Never saw much of him but he was the leading Test wicket taker one year wasn't he?

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Ishant Sharma springs to mind and Saj Mahmood.

Vaughan too perhaps? Phil Hughes.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I vividly recall Kevin Emery who I've just looked up on Cricketarchive - in 1982 at 22 he took 83 wickets for Hants at 23 - looked a class act too as an opening bowler, although from my recollection calling him fast medium might create the wrong impression as he was far fro quick - next season it was 5 at 50 odd and then he never played again - imo that's what comes of having St John as a christian name

Rather better known example is Bob Massie - never ever seen swing like he produced at Lord's in 72, but he sunk with barely a trace within a year

Steve Harmison - capable of 150+ pace and vicious bounce
    Mitchell Johnson - capable of 150+ pace and vicious in-swing (mainly in Perth & Durban)

Both fragile-minded scatterguns averaging over 30 but rated as the best bowler in the world at some point. Underachievers or overachievers?

Could mention KP's bowling. Gets plenty of turn and bounce, hardly gets anyone out though.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Brett Lee. Fast and rubbish.

Devon
    Salisbury

Probably other parts of the west country too. Cornwall must be rubbish. You could extrapolate further, but that would be scilly

shaun tait
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International 12th Man
    Lance Cairns - swung it round corners off the wrong foot. Had his moments but nothing particularly outstanding over a period of time.

Jason Krezja probably gets as much work as any non-subcontinental fingerspinner on the ball.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information