• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Indian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Vijay on his way to tonning up after getting lucky at least 4 times.

3 LBW's that were out not given, and got caught of a No ball. :wallbash:

Will be in India team now. :dry:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sreesanth is now bald. Teja to comment.

Kapil Dev is such a terrible commentator btw, just babbles nonstop and doesn't make any sense.

Daemon

Pandey looks decent. Nice smooth run up and action, releases the ball at a height, good seam position and is generally on or around the off stump, barring a few that have slid down leg. Looks pretty fit too. Hasn't swung the new ball a whole lot, though that may have something to do with the track. Really hope that's what it is because despite getting the ball to jag back in off a good length often enough he's pretty up and down, not really test class (then again, how many in India are). Still young though obv, definitely better than Dinda, Sree, Mithun etc.

He's pretty much Pankaj Singh II.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pandey is a similar bowler to Pankaj. Nice action and he can move the bowl from the deck enough when there is assistance.

Daemon

I'd honestly feel a lot more secure having Jaffer opening the batting instead of Gambhir. Quality player, still remember him scoring a dogged hundred in South Africa against Steyn, Pollock and Ntini when I first started watching cricket. Had a horror tour of Australia which saw him dropped which was fair enough, but compared to some of the options we have as openers, he's unfortunate to be overlooked all the time.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Vijay sceptics don't have to worry much- Jaffer and Rahane can do one up. Surely you'd have both opening for India in place of Vijay, wouldn't you?

I couldn't care less about who scores runs at six- that position should be taken by a bowler or wicketkeeper instead. My vote goes for Dhoni or Bhuvneshwar Kumar or Ashwin.

Mumbai selectors have been utterly stupid in their harsh treatment of Iqbal Abdulla- who was dropped from the squad altogether, and not recalled- because he dropped a single catch. His replacements are pee-poor.

The Indian bottom five looks wobbly if both Ojha and Sreesanth play- neither can bat at all, and it's way below international standards. Neither are exceptionally good bowlers anyway.

Ishwar Pandey is the talking point now. If he can finish a season with a hundred career wickets, an India call-up won't be far away. However, his selection as an India player as of now should be purely stop-gap as he still isn't fully ready and needs to finish 50 non-Test FC/non-ODI LA games to be considered as a prospect. Besides, the focus should be on getting Umesh, Aaron, Ishant and Irfan back into form and fitness, as that's more important- though if he's red hot in India uniforms, he may even prolong his stay.

After a long time, we're hearing Sidhu doing English commentary- he's been on the Hindi channel in the last few months.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Yeah, Pandey looks good. Getting good bounce even on this track and his pace is up to the mid-130's in the last over as well. Mithun is as terrible as ever. Ridiculous that he made it to the team ahead of Shami Ahmed. Prediction: Sreesanth to get Sachin

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd honestly feel a lot more secure having Jaffer opening the batting instead of Gambhir. Quality player, still remember him scoring a dogged hundred in South Africa against Steyn, Pollock and Ntini when I first started watching cricket. Had a horror tour of Australia which saw him dropped which was fair enough, but compared to some of the options we have as openers, he's unfortunate to be overlooked all the time.
The success of the Jaffer/Karthik opening partnership in England when compared to the records of Sehwag and Gambhir there always makes smile. I'd still definitely back Gambhir ahead of Jaffer in India against Australia's bowlers though, or failing that, Rahane.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Said the same in the tour thread. :p

He certainly has class about him and has probably improved since he was last dropped too.

shankar

International Debutant
He's always been a really classy player and great to watch. Don't remember why he was dropped. Wasn't it because he was getting exposed by the short ball?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I couldn't care less about who scores runs at six- that position should be taken by a bowler
I think this quote really quite sums up every post you've ever made here. :p

It's why you'll always be frustrated by selection too; no-one agrees.

Daemon

He's always been a really classy player and great to watch. Don't remember why he was dropped. Wasn't it because he was getting exposed by the short ball?
Gambhir was better and there was nowhere else in the XI he could slot in is my guess.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Vijay sceptics don't have to worry much- Jaffer and Rahane can do one up. Surely you'd have both opening for India in place of Vijay, wouldn't you?
Jaffer, yeah. Rahane i'd like to see in the Middle order though. He is too busy a player when he starts out to be a opener AFAIC. Likes to rotate strike.

Mumbai selectors have been utterly stupid in their harsh treatment of Iqbal Abdulla- who was dropped from the squad altogether, and not recalled- because he dropped a single catch. His replacements are pee-poor.
Not their fault tbh. Chavan was out performing him. Even though Abdullah is a better bowler and has more variation, on the Wankhede pitch Chavan's darts were effective.

Then i think Abdullah got injured and Dabholkar has come up who looks somewhat ordinary too.

Mumbai have 4 decent Left arm spinners now, with Harmeet Singh there too and then there is Ramesh Powar also. Really Harmeet and Abdullah need to change teams now. Maybe even go to Maharashtra or Vidarbha.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was mainly getting out caught behind and lbw actually, but it was just the simple fact that after hitting a double hundred on a featherbed against Pakistan he went on to average 16 in his next seven Tests. Gambhir destroyed worlds for a while upon replacing him anyway so it was hardly a bad call.

Daemon

The success of the Jaffer/Karthik opening partnership in England when compared to the records of Sehwag and Gambhir there always makes smile. I'd still definitely back Gambhir ahead of Jaffer in India against Australia's bowlers though, or failing that, Rahane.
Gambhir hasn't scored a ton in like 3 years, pretty sure Jaffer can top that. Besides, anyone who grows that sort of beard is always a gun in my books.

Last edited: