• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Philander, Ashwin and George Lohmann

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Can anyone of Philander and Ashwin break Lohmann's record of fastest to 100 wickets in test cricket?

Lohmann created this record in 1896 by claiming 100 wickets in 16 tests. Since then this record hasn't been broken.

Philander has 63 wickets in 10 matches and Ashwin has 49 in his 8 matches.

Last edited:

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Ashwin's next 8 test matches will be in india so he has a chance of coming near to that record

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Ashwin comes within a bull's roar of that record it would be an utter ****ing indictment and make a mockery of the game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, fmd they were playing him with sticks of celery out here. If he gets a record that old and venerable then they should stop keeping records.

Jager

International Debutant
I mean, fmd they were playing him with sticks of celery out here. If he gets a record that old and venerable then they should stop keeping records.
To be fair he's actually a good off-spinner - nothing phenomenal, but give him some more time to adapt to foreign conditions and I am sure he'd be more than just serviceable over here. You saw how flat the decks were, terrible for spin even by Australian standards

Agent TBY

International Captain
If Ashwin comes within a bull's roar of that record it would be an utter ****ing indictment and make a mockery of the game.
:laugh: Absolute drivel.

Statistical records like that say nothing about the quality of the players involved. Fair play to him if he actually does break it, you're just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

He won't, though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I will laugh my lungs out here if Ashwin equals that record. Despite playing 3 of his 8 tests in Australia, he has raced to 49 wickets. Can't hate him for that. And the era that Lohman played in, played a part in him achieving that record obviously.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
Why isnt Lohmann rated that highly when talking of ATG bowlers despite having a phenomenal average mimicking the statistical superiority of Bradman in batting?

The next best was Sydney Barnes IIRC who averaged at 16 a piece.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought Ajantha Mendis was going to break this record yet he actually got nowhere near it - I can't see either of these two doing it

Days of Grace

International Captain
Why isnt Lohmann rated that highly when talking of ATG bowlers despite having a phenomenal average mimicking the statistical superiority of Bradman in batting?

The next best was Sydney Barnes IIRC who averaged at 16 a piece.
Played South Africa in 3 tests when they were absolute minnows and made merry.

Also, almost every test he played against Australia was played in very favorable conditions for bowlers, and during the 1880s Australian batting was generally dire.

The average first innings score for the oppositon when Lohmann played was 113, ffs.