• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm going with McGrath, Lillee and Starc. People can pick Lee if they want, but you can't tell me Lillee isn't a totally better bowler, more adaptable, much better skills. An ATG with an excellent record in the format's formative years.

Not selecting McGrath in an Aust XI is madness. Possibly first picked. The others are arguable, but he isn't.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go Aus A

Gilchrist (wk)
Watson
Ponting (c)
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

Aus B

Warner
Hayden
M Waugh
G Chappell
Clarke (c)
Maxwell
Carey (wk)
Hogg
Johnson
Lee
Bracken

Red

No Bevan?
I've expressed my thoughts on this before, think he's a bit overrated in the format. Hussey does the same role better imo, but that's debatable. And I'd rather include Symonds and Watson as ARs. After that he's not displacing either of Ponting or Jones imo.

I'm always including Ponting, Symonds, Waugh and Hussey as an elite inner ring.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've expressed my thoughts on this before, think he's a bit overrated in the format. Hussey does the same role better imo, but that's debatable. And I'd rather include Symonds and Watson as ARs. After that he's not displacing either of Ponting or Jones imo.

I'm always including Ponting, Symonds, Waugh and Hussey as an elite inner ring.
Kerry O'Keefe agreed with you

Red

I'd go Aus A

Gilchrist (wk)
Watson
Ponting (c)
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

Aus B

Warner
Hayden
M Waugh
G Chappell
Clarke (c)
Maxwell
Haddin (wk)
Hogg
Johnson
Lee
Bracken

Aus A

M Waugh
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

Aus B

Hayden
Warner
G Chappell
Bevan
S Waugh
Maxwell
Haddin
S O'Donnell
Hogg
Lee
Bracken

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. McGrath is one of, if not the, first picked ODI player in history from any country
If you're an Australia, yes he may be first pick for many. If not, you'd find the majority of educated cricket fans would pick Garner first as evidenced by multiple polls on this forum alone over the years.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Not including above bowlers, a not popular- or alternate all time best for mine would be - Ambrose, Donald, Fannie de villiers and Muralidharan, Donald and Murali would do the striking , Fannie and Ambrose would contain any so-called-agressive bat, for a fifth one can include Pollock again a good container with good strike rate also, but this unit will not be a very good batting tail.

Victor Ian

International Coach
If you're an Australia, yes he may be first pick for many. If not, you'd find the majority of educated cricket fans would pick Garner first as evidenced by multiple polls on this forum alone over the years.
I little education is dangerous. They are not educated enough to account for lowest scoring era versus highest scoring era. Bolding that part of the post completely changes the context, which was correct, as it was.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southern Hemisphere vs Northern Hemisphere

I'd say only 6 or 7 guaranteed picks on each side - others could be argued about. Would be a great game.

SHXI

G Smith
M Hayden
D Bradman (c)
J Kallis
S Smith
G Pollock
A Gilchrist (wk)
R Hadlee
S Warne
D Steyn
G McGrath

NHXI

J Hobbs
L Hutton
V Richards
S Tendulkar
B Lara
G Sobers
I Khan (c)
A Knott
M Marshall
C Ambrose
M Muralitharan

Northern with the better openers, but overall SH has better batting (due to Bradman and Gilchrist). The main 4 bowlers are equal but Sobers is a better 5th bowler than Kallis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red

Red

2nd SHXI

B Richards
B Lawry
R Ponting
G Chappell
K Williamson
AB DeVilliers
K Miller
M Procter
B OReilly
D Lillee
A Donald

2nd NHXI

H Sutcliffe
S Gavaskar
R Dravid
K Sangakkara
E Weekes
C Walcott
K Dev
W Akram
A Roberts
J Garner
J Laker

Last edited:
2nd SHXI

B Richards
B Lawry
R Ponting
G Chappell
K Williamson
AB DeVilliers
K Miller
M Procter
B OReilly
D Lillee
A Donald

2nd NHXI

H Sutcliffe
S Gavaskar
R Dravid
K Sangakkara
E Weekes
C Walcott
K Dev
W Akram
A Roberts
J Garner
J Laker
Victor Trumper instead of Lawry and Sydney Barnes for sure better than Laker by a good distance.Until and unless Barnes is in your 1st xi,I don’t know why he won’t even make the 2nd xi despite being perhaps the best bowler who ever lived.

Slifer

International Captain
2nd SHXI

B Richards
B Lawry
R Ponting
G Chappell
K Williamson
AB DeVilliers
K Miller
M Procter
B OReilly
D Lillee
A Donald

2nd NHXI

H Sutcliffe
S Gavaskar
R Dravid
K Sangakkara
E Weekes
C Walcott
K Dev
W Akram
A Roberts
J Garner
J Laker
Excuse me but yeah that second southern xi is missing a certain Allan Border over Kane anyway of the week. Or even Steve Waugh.