• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder what team people could come up with using the second best player with the same surname and spelling. Sort of like a case of mistaken identity even if they bat in completey different positions.

Edit - they can't be related either..

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder what team people could come up with using the second best player with the same surname and spelling. Sort of like a case of mistaken identity even if they bat in completey different positions.

Edit - they can't be related either..
Hmmm, off the top of my head, Sid Barnes would open, Roy Gilchrist could be a decent bowling option, and Glenn or Charlie Turner would surely make the side.

Flametree

International 12th Man
An eleven made up from the 2nd best namesakes (but not related) of very top players, but trying to retain a playing xi :

Barry Richards
Sid Barnes
Bert Sutcliffe
Hamish Marshall
Anthony McGrath
Geoff Miller
Ian Smith *
Jeff Hammond
Robin Hobbs
Roy Gilchrist
Alf Hall

Satyanash89

Banned
An eleven made up from the 2nd best namesakes (but not related) of very top players, but trying to retain a playing xi :

Barry Richards
Sid Barnes
Bert Sutcliffe
Hamish Marshall
Anthony McGrath
Geoff Miller
Ian Smith *
Jeff Hammond
Robin Hobbs
Roy Gilchrist
Alf Hall
Viv>Barry isn't as clear cut as the rest... could have any number of Khans in there
Also, if first names can be considered, Tendulkar's got to be in there... Baby>Tendlya :cool:

The invincibles

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Viv Richards
Dean Headley/Greaeme Pollock/Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne

Beat this team.
B.Richards
L.Hutton
J.Kallis
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
R.Ponting
A.Knott
D.Steyn
W.Akram
M.Murali
G.McGrath

Bradman obv is a big difference as is Gilly. Didn't want to go for FTBs so went for Knott. Bradman aside it is close. I'd say my fast bowling is arguably stronger (only slightly) and the spinners cancel each other out. The batting is where you have an edge. Leave Bradman aside, it's very close there too although obviously Gilly is far superior to Knott as a batsman (inferior keeper though, relatively speaking).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Barry Richards
Sid Barnes
Bert Sutcliffe
Hamish Marshall
Anthony McGrath
Geoff Miller
Ian Smith *
Jeff Hammond
Robin Hobbs
Roy Gilchrist
Alf Hall
Good lineup!

I came up with:

1 Barry Richards
2 Sid Barnes
3 Herschelle Gibbs
4 Herbie Taylor
5 Kim Hughes
6 Andrew Jones
7 Ian Smith
8 Tom Richardson
9 Colin Miller
10 Roy Gilchrist
11 Bruce Reid

Reid the most controversial as I've decided JR was better. Herbie vs Mark Taylor perhaps close too.

This is just a starting point, sure I've missed a few notables.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Good lineup!

I came up with:

1 Barry Richards
2 Sid Barnes
3 Herschelle Gibbs
4 Herbie Taylor
5 Kim Hughes
6 Andrew Jones
7 Ian Smith
8 Dean Headley
9 Colin Miller
10 Roy Gilchrist
11 Bruce Reid

Reid the most controversial as I've decided JR was better. Herbie vs Mark Taylor perhaps close too.

This is just a starting point, sure I've missed a few notables.
Which non-related Headley qualifies Dean to be in there?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tom or Richie Richardson should really be in there too. Pretty hard to compare the pair to work out who's better.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Which non-related Headley qualifies Dean to be in there?
Yeah my bad. I had forgotten about the connection with George so I've added Tom Richardson.

Debating whether Paul Adams should be there if Jimmy was better to replace Funky.

Flametree's XI is great how he's clearly chosen an altnerative to an ATG while many of my players were very close in standard to the player I decided was better.

Last edited:

H4G

Banned
From my memory he was a relatively poor keeper, and my opinion regarding Wasim is well known. Most over rated cricketer imho
Flower was always a good keeper, he might not be in same league as Healy,Knott & Latif's but was as good as Gilchrist if not better.And Was without any doubt is best left arm bowler ever if not best bowler ever.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Flower was always a good keeper, he might not be in same league as Healy,Knott & Latif's but was as good as Gilchrist if not better.
Nah I couldn't disagree with this more.

I think Flower was actually fairly comfortably better than Gilchrist as a batsman but he wasn't a Test standard gloveman. He kept for Zimbabwe for the sake of balance for the lack of other alternatives. The fact that Taibu got a shot so early while Flower was still playing, despite being a nothing batsman at the time, says a lot about Flower's keeping. I'd probably sooner pick de Villiers to keep in my side than Flower.

H4G

Banned
Nah I couldn't disagree with this more.

I think Flower was actually fairly comfortably better than Gilchrist as a batsman but he wasn't a Test standard gloveman. He kept for Zimbabwe for the sake of balance for the lack of other alternatives. The fact that Taibu got a shot so early while Flower was still playing, despite being a nothing batsman at the time, says a lot about Flower's keeping. I'd probably sooner pick de Villiers to keep in my side than Flower.
Taibu had got a chance because Flower gave up keeping because he was getting older & wanted to concentrate on his batting alone.I rexpect your opions but personally I rate him him very highly as a batsman & that his wicket keeping skills were good enough.Thats why I would always have him in my greatest XIs doing the job of keeper.

watson

Banned
ATG Wicketkeeper Team

01. Farokh Engineer
02. Alec Stewart
03. Kumar Sangakkara
04. Clyde Walcott
05. Andy Flower
06. Adam Gilchrist
07. Alan Knott+
08. Bowler
09. Bowler
10. Bowler
11. Bowler

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ATG Wicketkeeper Team

01. Farokh Engineer
02. Alec Stewart
03. Kumar Sangakkara
04. Clyde Walcott
05. Andy Flower
06. Adam Gilchrist
07. Alan Knott+
08. Bowler
09. Bowler
10. Bowler
11. Bowler
You tanked out on the funnest part. Zohrer and Taibu are certs as bowlers. Dhoni and de Villiers bowl handy medium pace.. can we count Andrew Hall as a wicket keeper? Dilshan?