• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
Lillee, B. Richards and Sobers the best he has seen. Yet another person singing the praises of Lillee and Richards calling them the best ever. Are we wrong to omit Richards for his lack of tests as he did perform brilliantly in WSC, ROW games ect. And do we just under rate Lillee period?
Also if we include Barry, who is omitted, Hobbs or Sir Len?

On the bowling side Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne with support from Sobers would seem to complement each other, wouldn't they?
Marshall-Lillee-Barnes-Warne-Sobers has it all to test any batsman- Pace, aggression, swing, wrist-spin, finger-spin, left-arm....

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Lillee, B. Richards and Sobers the best he has seen. Yet another person singing the praises of Lillee and Richards calling them the best ever. Are we wrong to omit Richards for his lack of tests as he did perform brilliantly in WSC, ROW games ect. And do we just under rate Lillee period?
Also if we include Barry, who is omitted, Hobbs or ̶S̶i̶r̶ ̶L̶e̶n̶ Sutcliffe?

On the bowling side Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne with support from Sobers would seem to complement each other, wouldn't they?
Fixed :)

Would be replacing Sutcliffe/Hutton. I'd also rather McGrath than Lillee, and Murali than Warne, but those are just personal preference.

Eds

International Debutant
Marshall-Lillee-Barnes-Warne-Sobers has it all to test any batsman- Pace, aggression, swing, wrist-spin, finger-spin, left-arm....
Sorry to be a pedant, but didn't Barnes/Warne/Sobers all 'turn' it the same way?

watson

Banned
Sorry to be a pedant, but didn't Barnes/Warne/Sobers all 'turn' it the same way?
Benaud and Warne in the same team would be a waste because they were very similar bowlers. However, Barnes-Warne-Sobers were very different spinners despite their stock delivery being the leg-break. Warne delivered the ball with a slow round arm action (typical wrist-spinner) with lots of loop, Barnes bowled relatively quickly with a tall upright action (typical finger-spinner) and regularly spun the ball both ways, as well as swing it. Sobers was a left-armer who more commonly bowled fast-medium.......etc. In reality we are talking 'chalk and cheese'.

Last edited:

H4G

Banned
Sobers for about first 30 matches of his career bowled finger spin only,after that he mostly bowled medium fast combined with very little finger spin.He did bowl wrist spin but not for more then 5 or 6 matches of his career.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's facinating that many people with in depth knowledge of the history of the game have such different visions of what at AT XI should look like.
Watsons, Coronis and my XI's only have Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Marshall and Warne in common and if even one more person added their team to their sig, that list would drop even futher, probably just ti Hobbs and Bradman.

One question though, how does Pollock surpass Richards, Lara, Tendulkar and Chappell when they played in the most difficult eras of fast and spin bowlers and succeeded againts the best, Chappell in particular gets really short changed in the comparrison when we look at what he did in WSC. Pollock in particular only played a series againts Benaud and one game againts Statham and Snow each and it was Stathams last game and Snow's second. That combined with the fact that he played only 20 tests in a quiet period for great bowlers in a very strong lineup and team in general. Even Headly in comparrison played againts better bolwers (Verity, Grimmett, Ironmonger ect) and on a very weak team (where Atlas was the only batsman of quaity) where he bore the brunt of the pressure and the opposition's attention, faced more challenging circumstances. And he is normally discounted because of the number of tests he played. Just wondering about the though process.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You can get too bogged down worrying thought processes. I just pick what I can consider from watching and reading over many years who I consider to be the best two openers, the best three middle order batsman, the best allrounder, the best keeper, the best two pacemen and the best two spinners.

1. Barry Richards
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Garry Sobers
7. Alan Knott
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

You can rabbit on all day about having Gilchrist as the keeper and using Imran and get the slide rule out and say that Viv rarely batted at 4 or Barry Richards didn't play enough. I couldn't give a monkey's about any of that drivel - that team wouldn't get beaten very often.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can get too bogged down worrying thought processes. I just pick what I can consider from watching and reading over many years who I consider to be the best two openers, the best three middle order batsman, the best allrounder, the best keeper, the best two pacemen and the best two spinners.

1. Barry Richards
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Garry Sobers
7. Alan Knott
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

You can rabbit on all day about having Gilchrist as the keeper and using Imran and get the slide rule out and say that Viv rarely batted at 4 or Barry Richards didn't play enough. I couldn't give a monkey's about any of that drivel - that team wouldn't get beaten very often.
Best post on this topic I have read in a while. I have the same team, except I have Imran for Sachin/Viv (as the mood suits for me) at number 7 and Gilly for Knott at number six.

Would be wonderful to watch both the teams.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

1. Barry Richards
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Garry Sobers
7. Alan Knott
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Precisely. I don't consider Headley not to have played enough, but based on what I have heard, read and learned for myself, he's not in my side. He is in my 2nd XI though.

watson

Banned

1. Barry Richards
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Garry Sobers
7. Alan Knott
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

It makes some sense to replace Gilchrist with Alan Knott if there are two spinners in the side despite the fact that Gilchrist was obviously used to Warne's bowling. Knott was supreme standing up to the stumps.

JBMAC

State Captain
It makes some sense to replace Gilchrist with Alan Knott if there are two spinners in the side despite the fact that Gilchrist was obviously used to Warne's bowling. Knott was supreme standing up to the stumps.
Nowhere near the calibre of Don Tallon

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nowhere near the calibre of Don Tallon
I saw Knotty play loads of times, and Don Tallon was way before my time, so I can't make a direct comparison, but despite the glowing terms in which all his contemporaries describe his keeping I do wonder about Tallon

For example the only truly great spinner he kept to in Tests was Tiger O'Reilly, just the once, in NZ just after the war - NZ mustered just 96 in their two innings combined, 8 of them byes

In 46/47 Tallon conceded 91 byes in the 5 Tests, as against 47 by Godfrey Evans for England, which strikes me (in both cases) to be a lot more than you'd expect given their reputations

watson

Banned
I saw Knotty play loads of times, and Don Tallon was way before my time, so I can't make a direct comparison, but despite the glowing terms in which all his contemporaries describe his keeping I do wonder about Tallon

For example the only truly great spinner he kept to in Tests was Tiger O'Reilly, just the once, in NZ just after the war - NZ mustered just 96 in their two innings combined, 8 of them byes

In 46/47 Tallon conceded 91 byes in the 5 Tests, as against 47 by Godfrey Evans for England, which strikes me (in both cases) to be a lot more than you'd expect given their reputations
Since the number of byes was mentioned - Paul Downton has the best record in wicket-keeping since WWII. That is, he conceded just 84 Byes in 29,517 deliveries.

The Top 10 Misers are;
Paul Downton
Dave Richardson
Alan Knott
Naren Tamhane
Ian Smith
Khalid Mashud
Syed Kirmani
Kiran More
Bob Taylor
Ridley Jacobs

See article: Blogs: Analysing wicketkeepers by byes conceded | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Note: There is a 'fudge factor' that adjusts the Byes : Deliveries ratio according to which country the Test match was played in. This is because, 'wicket-keeping is easier in some countries than in others'. I assume that the author has made the 'fudge factor' fair.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
The number of byes is a nonsense way to judge a keeper unless you see them all being conceded and can say how many were his fault.
That's true. But the assumption would be that each and every bowling attack is equally culpable.

Also, 84 Byes conceded over 29,517 deliveries is still impressive however you view it, and must carry some statistical weight because 29,000+ is a big number (in relative terms).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That's true. But the assumption would be that each and every bowling attack is equally culpable.

Also, 84 Byes conceded over 29,517 deliveries is still impressive however you view it, and must carry some statistical weight because 29,000+ is a big number (in relative terms).
Very wild assumption.

Half the bowlers Downton kept wicket to very rarely beat the bat.