Page 95 of 208 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3111
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Incidently, Ray Lindwall's nickname was "KILLER", so maybe he should go in the 'nasty' list.
    Indeed, I've never read anything about him bowling with malicious intent though - just playfully killing the batsman
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Indeed, I've never read anything about him bowling with malicious intent though - just playfully killing the batsman
    Yep, nothing wrong with a friendly bouncer that skids off the pitch throat high.
    "I strongly feel the ICC should take action to ban the doosra since it just cannot be bowled legally. Ashley Mallett has said the 'doosra is nothing but chucking' and Australian spinners, including Shane Warne, have raised an alarm against coaching it in Australia." - BISHAN BEDI (2010)

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    On a DVD I have Bradman talks about how good Lindwall's bouncer was. He says that although Lindwall wasn't really tall, he used to get it up to throat height. Lindwall looks like he was bloody quick to me.

Lindwall's a guy who deserves to be mentioned with the likes of Kapil, Hadlee and Davidson as bowling all-rounders. Very good batsmen at #8 in any team. On the same DVD, Bradman talks about Lindwall as being a fine batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    On a DVD I have Bradman talks about how good Lindwall's bouncer was. He says that although Lindwall wasn't really tall, he used to get it up to throat height. Lindwall looks like he was bloody quick to me.

Lindwall's a guy who deserves to be mentioned with the likes of Kapil, Hadlee and Davidson as bowling all-rounders. Very good batsmen at #8 in any team. On the same DVD, Bradman talks about Lindwall as being a fine batsman.
    Better off at 9 though IMO, same with Davidson - allowed to free themselves and hit out with less responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Better off at 9 though IMO, same with Davidson - allowed to free themselves and hit out with less responsibility
    I think Davidson was a genuine #8, especially if you look at what he did with the bat in Shield cricket. Underachieved slightly at Test level if anything, probably due to a lack of real necessity to make significant runs. Lindwall more a #9 at fictional ATG competition level though, indeed.
    ~ Cribbage

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Lindwall looks like he was bloody quick to me.
    During the WA University investigation into Fast Bowling In the 70's, they estimated the speed of past fast bowlers like Lindwall from film recordings. For Lindwall they had speeds
    in the low 90's (93 ???) mph.

The other point for all these 'old' bowlers, there is very limited film available. It is very likely that Lindwall would have bowled faster on other days when there is no Film recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think Davidson was a genuine #8, especially if you look at what he did with the bat in Shield cricket. Underachieved slightly at Test level if anything, probably due to a lack of real necessity to make significant runs. Lindwall more a #9 at fictional ATG competition level though, indeed.
    I'm basing my opinion from something I remember reading actually, so I probably jumped the gun. His FC record suggests he was actually a very talented batsman (same goes for Benaud actually).

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    From what I've read, Bradman was a superb fieldsman, it's just rarely talked about when compared to the ridiculousness of his batting. I've quoted before the essay by Robertson-Glasgow where he talks about Bradman standing pre-eminent even among a generation of outstanding Australian fielders.
    I know Hobbs is considered to be one of the best at covers. Did Bradman also field at covers? It'd be interesting whether anyone compared fielding abilities of Don and Master.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Everything I've read about Bradman indicates that he was an outstanding fielder in the covers before the war - right up there with Hobbs in his prime

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    England XI:
    Hutton (c)
    Hobbs
    Barrington
    Hammond
    May
    Botham
    Prior (wk)
    Larwood
    Trueman
    Laker
    Barnes

This is based off my ratings, with one wildcard (Larwood) thrown in.

I can choose any keeper I want, and I've gone for Prior, since Botham is a bit high at no.6 for an alltime team, and the tail is quite long. Really think Prior will be solid enough behind the stumps. The bowling attack covers all bases. A speedster to intimidate, a great allround fast bowler, a third-seamer with the knack of picking up wickets and who can run in all day, a classical off-spinner, and Barnes, who probably spun them away from the right-hander.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

If it were an all pace attack then Prior wouldn't give you any issues behind the sticks, but since it contains Laker and Barnes I'd expect a few missed chances from him.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    England XI:
    Hutton (c)
    Hobbs
    Barrington
    Hammond
    May
    Botham
    Prior (wk)
    Larwood
    Trueman
    Laker
    Barnes

This is based off my ratings, with one wildcard (Larwood) thrown in.

I can choose any keeper I want, and I've gone for Prior, since Botham is a bit high at no.6 for an alltime team, and the tail is quite long. Really think Prior will be solid enough behind the stumps. The bowling attack covers all bases. A speedster to intimidate, a great allround fast bowler, a third-seamer with the knack of picking up wickets and who can run in all day, a classical off-spinner, and Barnes, who probably spun them away from the right-hander.
    Personally would have Ames if I wanted an wicketkeeper batsman.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Les Ames best average of 58.57 is against New Zealand. However, against Australia it is less than half that at 27.00.

Therefore, Prior and Knott seem better choices to me as the former is probably a better batsman, and the latter an equivalent batsman, but better keeper.

Just a thought......

Wisden names Murali best bowler ever - The Times of India

Has this list ever been updated by Wisden?
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    not sure when these ratings came out
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Thread Information