• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

smash84

The Tiger King
Okay guys, which of these teams do you think looks better.

Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Pollock, Hammond, Sobers, Gilchrist, Marshall, Warne, Murali, McGrath

or

Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Pollock, Hammond, Sobers, Gilchrist, Marshall, Barnes, Murali, McGrath
since it is the same team except for 1 player I think looks wise Shane Warne might have been better than Barnes....so the first team is better looks wise.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Pollock, Hammond, Sobers, Gilchrist, Marshall, Warne, Murali, McGrath

or

Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Pollock, Hammond, Sobers, Gilchrist, Marshall, Barnes, Murali, McGrath
The latter IMO. Even aside from the fact that I think Barnes was better than Warne, it's better balanced with the extra seamer(ish).

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

or

I would say the second one, because even though I belive Warne would be the better spinner (especially in modern conditions), the fact that you are only playing two specialst pace bowlers, Barnes would be able to deliver some cover for that at first change. He would revert to spin later in the innings and on the last day in particular if required.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
How about

Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman | Richards | Tendulkar/ Hammond | Sobers | Gilchrist | Marshall | Warne/ Muralitharan | Lillee | Barnes |

Lillee over Mcgrath as Barnes at best is another medium pacer and so more mimicks Mcgrath and so better served by another full out agressive quick.

Again based on if Barnes should be included, which again I not convinced he does.

watson

Banned
How about

Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman | Richards | Tendulkar/ Hammond | Sobers | Gilchrist | Marshall | Warne/ Muralitharan | Lillee | Barnes |

Lillee over Mcgrath as Barnes at best is another medium pacer and so more mimicks Mcgrath and so better served by another full out agressive quick.

Again based on if Barnes should be included, which again I not convinced he does.
Agree completely.

Barnes was probably a yard or two slower than McGrath, but he appeared to have the same nagging accuracy and steep bounce. And of course he bowled with a lot more variation. Both are superb additions to any attack.

bagapath

International Captain
i want to see a tournament featuring sheet anchors + accurate bowlers in one team, aggressive batters + strike bowlers in another and players who could change gears either ways in the third team. will avoid bradman to ensure all three teams are equally balanced.

gavaskar
boycott
dravid
kallis
border
s.pollock
healy+
akram
grimmett
laker
mcgrath

vs

sehwag
trumper
richards
lara
sobers
botham
gilchrist +
marshall
warne
waqar
murali

hobbs
hutton
ponting
tendulkar
hammond
imran
knott+
lillee
barnes
ambrose
o'reilly

Last edited:

watson

Banned
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Len Hutton
03. Ricky Pontin
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Walter Hammond
06. Imran Khan
07. Alan Knott
08. Dennis Lillee
09. Sydney Barnes
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Bill O'Reilly

Can't see that team losing to the other 2.

Lillee-Ambrose-Imran-Barnes-O'Reilly is too strong an attack.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
An all-rounder combo vs a non all-rounder combo. No Bradman to be fair.

Non all rounders- top order (1-6) batsmen have never taken a wicket in tests. Best pure keeper available. Lower order (8-11) have a batting average under 15.

All rounders- every player selected needs to have taken at least 100 wickets in tests. Keeper must average 40 plus. All batsman must have a batting average above 25.

Non all rounder combo

- Herb Sutcliffe
- Gordon Greenidge
- George Headley
- Peter May
- Brian Lara
- Colin Cowdrey
- Godfrey Evans +
- Curtly Ambrose
- Dennis Lillee
- Glenn McGrath
- Muralitharan

All-rounder combo

- Wilfred Rhodes
- Trevor Bailey
- Jaques Kallis
- Garry Sobers
- Keith Miller
- Tony Greig
- Adam Gilchrist +
- Ian Botham
- Imran Khan
- Kapil Dev
- Richard Hadlee

What do you think? Couldn't squeeze Benaud in to the second line up based on my own criteria!

watson

Banned
Was Eddie Barlow an allrounder? Trevor Goddard certainly was.

Barlow-Goddard to open for the 'All-Rounder Combo' and I'll go for them.

bagapath

International Captain
Bailey out. Mankad in.
So that you have enough spin bowling in your attack

Also...
Hadlee out S.Pollock in.
Now all you batters average 30+

bagapath

International Captain
Skippers XI

G.Smith
L. Hutton
R. Ponting
C.H. Lloyd
A.R. Border
G.S. Sobers
M.S. Dhoni +
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
S. Pollock
R. Benaud

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Allrounder combo:

1 Goddard/Watson (averages 43 opening)
2 Barlow
3 Kallis
4 Sobers
5 Greig
6 Miller
7 Gilchrist
8 Imran
9 Mankad/Shakib (yeah yeah shakib, but he's a pretty good spinner who can bat really well)
10 Botham/Dev/Procter
11 Hadlee

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Allrounder combo:

1 Goddard/Watson (averages 43 opening)
2 Barlow
3 Kallis
4 Sobers
5 Greig
6 Miller
7 Gilchrist
8 Imran
9 Mankad/Shakib (yeah yeah shakib, but he's a pretty good spinner who can bat really well)
10 Botham/Dev/Procter
11 Hadlee
Would take Mankad and Procter personally, and bat them both ahead of Imran. Procter a far better bowler than Kapil, and even Beefy when he was in his prime. Better bat than both of them too, scored 6 centuries in 6 innings. Also Goddard. Watson is a useless ****.

Goddard
Barlow
Kallis
Sobers
Grieg
Miller
Gilchrist+
Procter
Mankad
Imran*
Hadlee

Grace as one of the openers could be interesting. Also Clive Rice. I know he never played a test, but, his first class figures are outstanding.

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Would take Mankad and Procter personally, and bat them both ahead of Imran. Procter a far better bowler than Kapil, and even Beefy when he was in his prime. Better bat than both of them too, scored 6 centuries in 6 innings. Also Goddard. Watson is a useless ****.

Goddard
Barlow
Kallis
Sobers
Grieg
Miller
Gilchrist+
Procter
Mankad
Imran*
Hadlee

Grace as one of the openers could be interesting. Also Clive Rice. I know he never played a test, but, his first class figures are outstanding.
yeah thought of both grace and rice when i was doing it, rice i left out for not playing a single test but it's not like procter played many nor did barry richards and i pick them both in my all time team. grace i just tend to steer clear of as i do with barnes, but definitely did think of him as an opening option.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'll have a crack at an all-rounder's XI.

1. WG Grace
2. Eddie Barlow
3. Charles Macartney
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Keith Miller
6. Gary Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist +
8. Mike Procter
9. Imran Khan
10. Richie Benaud *
11. Richard Hadlee

Satyanash89

Banned
Magic Wrists XI:

Saeed Anwar
Mark Waugh
Brian Lara ... dat wrist-**** :wub:
Damien Martyn
VVS Laxman
Mohammad Azharuddin
MS Dhoni
Wasim Akram
Mohammad Asif... those loose, snappy wrists were a sight to behold
Shane Warne
Mutthiah Muralitharan

Subcontinent-heavy, big surprise :p

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No Sachin, Ponting, Bradman in Dickie Bird's greatest Test XI | Cricket - News | NDTVSports.com

Dickie Bird's team is interesting. He has Lance Gibbs and Shane Warne as the spinners and only Imran and Lillee as the pacers in the team. A little short on firepower in the bowling dept perhaps
Lillee, B. Richards and Sobers the best he has seen. Yet another person singing the praises of Lillee and Richards calling them the best ever. Are we wrong to omit Richards for his lack of tests as he did perform brilliantly in WSC, ROW games ect. And do we just under rate Lillee period?
Also if we include Barry, who is omitted, Hobbs or Sir Len?

On the bowling side Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne with support from Sobers would seem to complement each other, wouldn't they?

smash84

The Tiger King
Lillee, B. Richards and Sobers the best he has seen. Yet another person singing the praises of Lillee and Richards calling them the best ever. Are we wrong to omit Richards for his lack of tests as he did perform brilliantly in WSC, ROW games ect. And do we just under rate Lillee period?
Also if we include Barry, who is omitted, Hobbs or Sir Len?

On the bowling side Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne with support from Sobers would seem to complement each other, wouldn't they?
Yes, Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne would be a very potent attack indeed. For variety you can put in Murali instead of Warne.

Barry Richards for me would always be the unlucky one who didn't get much of a chance at test level.