Page 90 of 228 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 3417
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

State Vice-Captain
    Does anyone happen to know what position Procter fielded at? He did take 300+ catches in first class, but I've been unable to find out where he fielded..

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    I have read others say that he fielded in the slips, but have been unable to independently verify that.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Every other online source seems to disagree with those numbers though; perhaps HowStat has decided something should have been a Test match even though it officially wasn't?
    There was the match in the 70/71 season against England that was washed out with out a ball being bowled, an extra match was added to the series as a replacement. This washed out match is for the most part is not counted in Test match stats. This could be the difference.

My old man fondly remembers seeing Neil Harvey take "the greatest catch [he'd] ever seen". I said Harvey basically did a headstand as he leapt sideways and rolled after taking the catch - something very imaginable when it comes to a batsman like him, nimble and graceful.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Is Steyn approaching the point where he will be seen as a better bowler than Donald, or does some believe he is past him already?

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Is Steyn approaching the point where he will be seen as a better bowler than Donald, or does some believe he is past him already?
    at least level with him now I suppose.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I would rate Steyn better now I suppose (or at least equal)
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    I'd say better, unless he suddenly lost form and turns into crap. I don't think it will happen though. I think he would end up being the best after Marshall, and on par with Lillee, Hadlee et al.

That is high praise indeed.

I dont think that we give present day players the reconition they deserve, that being said, I think that at this time he and Donald are just about even, if I had to choose one, I would still give Donald the edge. Steyn is still definately on his way up though.
    Definately an ATG already.
    Last edited by kyear2; 02-02-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Donald-Steyn-S. Pollock-Procter. That pace attack of an all time SA XI is equaled (or marginally excelled) by only WI's. IMO. I therefore think, and keep asserting here, that an all time SA XI is level with any other all time XI (or marginally behind the Bradman side).

Pollock is a class below any of the W.I. pace men and there is none of them quite the equal of Ambrose far less Marshall, but yes it is a very good attack with Procter probably being the best but never got the prolonged Test experience to prove it. If he and Richards has played full careers they may very well been locks in everyone's ATG side. As it is it's hard to place them above Hutton/ Gavaskar or Imran/Miller.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    On another tangent: I'm in to teams that bat to 11 at the moment, while still having a really strong bowling attack.

Hobbs
    Gavaskar
    Bradman
    G.Chappell/Tendulkar/Lara/Hammond
    V. Richards
    Kallis/Miller
    Sobers
    Gilchrist
    Imran
    Hadlee
    Warne
    Last edited by Monk; 02-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Some nice video of Fred Trueman in action. No wonder he is one of England's greatest.

Fred Trueman: Record breaking exploits :: The largest library of cricket videos

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    John Snow getting Sobers out first ball as well as almost taking Ian Chappell's head off......

John Snow at his extreme best :: The largest library of cricket videos
    Last edited by watson; 02-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.

With Kallis, this is not a very strong attack. Personally cannot conceive of an ATG team with out the greatest ever fast bowler, who for me is generally third name on the team sheet. Additionally the extra ten runs with the bat not worth the lost intagibles of a Marshall or even Lillee, especially Marshall who was more than handy with the bat.
    Nice idea though and it is your team. Everyone in an ATG team should be able to contribute in at least two disciplines.

Thread Information