• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@Daemon Dunno i just remember being impressed by Kohli and Smith going ton for ton
It shouldn’t be discounted but I think Smith’s had at least 3 more impressive series than that one against crap bowling in the flattest Australian conditions I’ve seen.

Ashes 19
BG 16/17
Ashes 17/18

And then maybe it’s on par with the NZ or WI away series. Probably only slightly better just because it was a longer series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
that’s a bit dodgy, you could do like 35th-94th and say it’s another period
Just as dodgy as Mr2 taking only the tests that Smith made his first 100 to his latest into consideration for his calculations. FWIW, even if you wanna consider only the test where he made his first 100 a starting point, he is currently on 26 from 62 and 109 innings. Not that far away from many of the other ATGs. And if you limit to when he made his place as a proper middle order bat, that goes to 26 from 68 and 121 innings, which is basically what Sachin, Ponting and I guess a few other ATGs averaged for various runs of their careers. Even the 7 year period is something that has been bettered.

EDIT: Actually srb's is not as dodgy as Mr2's stats cherry picking.

bagapath

International Captain
Well he hit 26 tons in 56 tests from his first to his most recent so let's go with that number. Has anyone hit more than 20 in 56 tests discounting Bradman?
SM Gavaskar in his first 50 tests

50937494722157.5220216v England30 Aug 1979

Smith after 50 tests

509213475221560.15821357.851720453133v Pakistan3 Jan 2017

Gavaskar after 56 tests

561017537222157.1422236v Australia3 Nov 1979

Smith after 56 tests

5610414537021559.66944556.852021459833v Bangladesh4 Sep 2017

smash84

The Tiger King
Sobers too
Sobers peak is less impressive than Sachin or Smith's mostly because the latter faced not only better bowling attacks but did pretty well against the best teams of their eras (Smith has done really well in this regard). Sobers wasn't quite as impressive in this sense.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FWIW, I do think Smith is an ATG as of now and I fully expect him to finish his career as one. But I dont think he is gonna go down as the greatest since Bradman, rather he will be fighting it out with the other Tier 1 folks around him (Bradman is Tier 0 God) or with Tier 2 folks depending on how the rest of his career goes.

EDIT: The same goes for Kohli but I would say his place is currently in the Tier 2 of the batting ATGs, unlike Smith (Who is in Tier 1 currently, for me).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it wasn't for Smith we'd be singing Kohli's praises. He's averaged 57 since Smith got good and only scored two less tons than him. Insane.

mr_mister

Haha yeah which is why I think this argument that averaging 60 over 100 tests is better than Sachin is really weird.

A stretch of 140-150 tests averaging 58-62 is probably what would equal Sachin IMO.

Because it'd be Smiths full career not just a cherry picked peak. That's an important difference right?

Like are you saying if Smith retired averaging 60 after 150 tests hed only be equal to Sachin averaging 53 after 200 because Sachin had a period in the middle of 150 tests averaging 60?

That's silly. I know he debuted young and played on til he was grey but can't pretend that period didn't happen

Teja.

Global Moderator
Because it'd be Smiths full career not just a cherry picked peak. That's an important difference right?

Like are you saying if Smith retired averaging 60 after 150 tests hed only be equal to Sachin averaging 53 after 200 because Sachin had a period in the middle averaging 60?

That's silly
If Smith plays 200 with a stretch of 150 tests that good, that would work as well.

And Smith would have to play less years than Tendulkar to get 200.

mr_mister

Sanga averages 57+ for 134 tests and is typically considered a level below Tendulkar.
Which is why the raw averages stats do have merit and we can't just push forward everyone's peak as an argument

Hayden had a 80 test period averaging like 58 scoring 29 tons.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sutcliffe averages 61, Hobbs 57, Hutton 57, Sobers 58, Hammond 58 all over full 20 year careers or close to that. All raw stats not peak.

Why are Smith's 8 years of averaging low 60s better than that to make him some him such a definitive case for being the second best after Bradman.