• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone thinks I need 3 ATG pacers XI

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Herbert Sutcliffe
3. Don Bradman*
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Viv Richards
6. Gary Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist+
8. Mike Procter
9. Shane Warne
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Glenn McGrath

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cribbles, if Procter gets marked down by the PEWsian method for playing not many Tests at one end of his career, why does WG not get the same brush? Both played exceptionally well at the highest level they could for many years.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cribbles, if Procter gets marked down by the PEWsian method for playing not many Tests at one end of his career, why does WG not get the same brush? Both played exceptionally well at the highest level they could for many years.
Because during the life and time of Grace, English Domestic cricket was the highest standard of cricket, but such was not the case for Procter's time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, quite. Grace towered above his peers at what was regarded as the highest and most important level of cricket at the time; not just the highest level he was allowed to play personally.

It'd be a bit like if we started a Martian colony and began playing Earth v Mars matches before expanding to other planets and establishing a Galactic Test Championship. It wouldn't suddenly make Tendulkar no longer an ATG for not having done anything at a level of cricket that didn't exist during his prime, but if it became the pinnacle of the game with national Tests being used as a feeder competition to it and we temporarily suspended Venus from it for a little while for political reasons, then Venutians during that period would be regarded as unlucky and nothing more.

Procter was obviously a supremely talented cricketer who was unlucky not to have a greater opportunity at Test level to prove himself, but you could probably say that about lots of cricketers who we've never even heard of, robbed of the chance to even play First Class cricket for any number of reasons. Life gets in the way; it's funny like that.

I don't actually have a problem with people calling Procter an all time great cricketer and I'd probably even do so myself, but when comparing him to other all time greats who actually proved themselves at the highest level of cricket throughout their primes he's going to be at the bottom of the pile for me. Was > could have been.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
procter > g.pollock >= barry > donald > s.pollock > kallis
imo
I'm not sure you can compare-

Procter (bowling AR)
G. Pollock (LH middle order bat)
Barry Richards (RH opening bat)
Donald (RH opening bowler)
Pollock (bowling AR)
&
Kallis (batting AR)

sobers no:1

Banned
I'm not sure you can compare-

Procter (bowling AR)
G. Pollock (LH middle order bat)
Barry Richards (RH opening bat)
Donald (RH opening bowler)
Pollock (bowling AR)
&
Kallis (batting AR)
hmm.. you can not decide who is better btwn akram and srinath.. can u ?
so i am the first one to rank greats of the game. wait a minute.. i think i have seen something like cw50 , espn 25..

my views
bowling procter = donald >> pollock
batting barry/g.pollock >> kallis . and procter >> s.pollock
procter bowling almost equals barry/g.pollock batting
s.pollock batting > kallis bowling

hence
procter > g.pollock , barry > donald > s.pollock > kallis

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
hmm.. you can not decide who is better btwn akram and srinath.. can u ?
so i am the first one to rank greats of the game. wait a minute.. i think i have seen something like cw50 , espn 25..

my views
bowling procter = donald >> pollock
batting barry/g.pollock >> kallis . and procter >> s.pollock
procter bowling almost equals barry/g.pollock batting
s.pollock batting > kallis bowling

hence
procter > g.pollock , barry > donald > s.pollock > kallis
You must have really liked its 2nd edition where Sobers was no1 :p