• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
Would be keen to see what the best XI would be if you had to go ascending order in terms of decade (i.e. player in 4th spot can't have played a decade earlier than player in 3rd).
WG Grace - 19th century
Trumper - 1900s
McCartney - 1920s
Hammond - 1930s
Weekes - 1950s
Sobers - 1960s
Knott+ - 1970s
Marshall - 1980s
Ambrose - 1990s
Murali - 2000s
Rabada - 2010s

World War 1&2 decades removed; no Bradman rule applied.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Double the decade

2000-2019
1. Sehwag
2. Graeme Smith
3. Ponting (C)
4. Steve Smith
5. Sangakkara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist (WK)
8. Murali
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. McGrath

1980-1999
1. Gavaskar
2. Greenidge
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin
5. Lara
6. Imran (C)
7. (WK) - Healy? Any other options? Was hoping for a stronger bat without compromising on keeping, so no Andy Flower.
8. Marshall
9. Warne
10. Ambrose
11. Waqar

Think the 80s-90s win this quite comfortably, but mostly because Sehwag at the top for the 00s is unreliable so chances are you'll either be 1 down very, very quickly or he'll slap you around a bit but #3 is coming in early anyway.. Could go with Cook (more reliable and having to bowl to Cook and Smith might just bore the team to death) or Hayden (still some holes, especially against an attack stacked like that) I suppose.

Feel free to submit more contenders. I don't really know much cricket pre 60s beyond what I've read on here/few articles here and there (and Bradman).

The 60s-80s side should quite tasty too I imagine.

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Imran at 8, Waqar out, Border in
Yea that's the other change I was thinking - Waqar had a 40.8 S/R for the 90s though and an average of 21.71 (only Reid with 9 games, Ambrose, Pollock, and Akram had better averages in the 90s, and all with considerably 'worse' strike rates of 48+, not including Reid who played too few games). All that with a ****ty fielding unit. Pretty epic.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Double the decade

2000-2019
1. Sehwag
2. Graeme Smith
3. Ponting
4. Steve Smith
5. Sangakkara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist (WK)
8. Murali
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. McGrath

1980-1999
1. Gavaskar
2. Greenidge
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin
5. Lara
6. Imran
7. Keeper - Healy? Any other options?
8. Marshall
9. Warne
10. Ambrose
11. Waqar

Think the 80s-90s win this quite comfortably, but mostly because Sehwag at the top for the 00s is unreliable so chances are you'll either be 1 down very, very quickly or he'll slap you around a bit but #3 is coming in early anyway.. Could go with Cook (more reliable and having to bowl to Cook and Smith might just bore the team to death) or Hayden (still some holes, especially against an attack stacked like that) I suppose.
Dujon's another option for the 1980-99 keeper although Healy keeping to Warne does make sense.
Murali batting at at 8 is a worry for the later side.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Double the decade

2000-2019

1. Sehwag
2. Graeme Smith
3. Ponting (C)
4. Steve Smith
5. Sangakkara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist (WK)
8. Murali
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. McGrath

1980-1999
1. Gavaskar
2. Greenidge
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin
5. Lara
6. Imran (C)
7. (WK) - Healy? Any other options? Was hoping for a stronger bat without compromising on keeping, so no Andy Flower.
8. Marshall
9. Warne
10. Ambrose
11. Waqar

Feel free to submit more contenders. I don't really know much cricket pre 60s beyond what I've read on here/few articles here and there (and Bradman).

Hadlee should be there imo. From 1980 till end of his career, he has taken 324 wickets in just 60 tests at 19.70. That is insane. Also averages 31 with the bat.

Also, stunned to see his record in Australia during this period.

9 matches 70 wickets at 15.97.
10 five wicket hauls and 3 ten wicket hauls.:laugh:

My 8-11 will be
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Waqar had a 40.8 S/R for the 90s though and an average of 21.71
Waqar at his best is just like the peak of fast bowling, for me. It was too bad it was so short lived. He actually had such a good cricket brain to go with all that natural talent too. Injuries definitely robbed the game in his case.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF to him though, it should be no surprise given that is ALL he did in his teens, which is usually when you are usually trying to learn something that you can then do in life as a career. :p
Yeah bit rich to say he would be no good at anything else when he never really tried to be any good at anything else. If he was 10% as talented at anything else as he was at cricket then he would have succeeded at it.

bagapath

International Captain
Double the decade

2000-2019

1. Sehwag
2. Graeme Smith
3. Ponting (C)
4. Steve Smith
5. Sangakkara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist (WK)
8. Murali
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. McGrath

1980-1999
1. Gavaskar
2. Greenidge
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin
5. Lara
6. Imran (C)
8. Marshall
9. Warne
10. Ambrose
11. Waqar

Hadlee was the best bowler in the world when the world was full of champion bowlers. Please bring him in.

1960 - 1980

Bob Simpson *
Geoff Boycott (actually Gavaskar should be an automatic choice for being such a gun in the 70s but leaving him out to keep your team in tact)
Rohan Kanhai
Greame Pollock
Greg Chappell
Garfield Sobers
Alan Knott +
Michael Holding
Dennis Lillee
Andy Roberts
Bhagwath Chandrasekar

that's a beautiful. beautiful pace attack and an even more gorgeous middle order.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Double the decade

2000-2019
1. Sehwag
2. Graeme Smith
3. Ponting (C)
4. Steve Smith
5. Sangakkara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist (WK)
8. Murali
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. McGrath

1980-1999
1. Gavaskar
2. Greenidge
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin
5. Lara
6. Imran (C)
8. Marshall
9. Warne
10. Ambrose
11. Waqar

Hayden easily as first picked opener in the 00s. He had the same strengths as Sehwag but less weaknesses. There was a long period he was averaging 60.

In fact there is only one opener in the timeframe that scored more hundreds than Hayden and it took him almost 60 more tests to do so.

vcs

Hayden easily as first picked opener in the 00s. He had the same strengths as Sehwag but less weaknesses. There was a long period he was averaging 60.

In fact there is only one opener in the timeframe that scored more hundreds than Hayden and it took him almost 60 more tests to do so.
Remove Hayden's stat-padding against Zimbabwe and his average probably drops below Sehwag's.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Hayden was like a deer caught in the headlights against Ambrose.

If king Curtly had delayed his retirement by a series ....

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden was like a deer caught in the headlights against Ambrose.

If king Curtly had delayed his retirement by a series ....
Nah Curtly had a few too many miles in the legs by then. Had a reasonably quiet tour of England by his own lofty standards, not sure he would have done that much better if at all had he came out to Australia

morgieb

Remove Hayden's stat-padding against Zimbabwe and his average probably drops below Sehwag's.
This is actually correct. Sehwag's average sans Zimbabwe and Bangladesh is 49.60, Hayden's is 48.24. Surprised but then I didn't follow Sehwag's career with the same kind of eagle eyeness compared to Hayden's.

Interesting that Sehwag's average goes up without the minmows.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But its obvious when you see him bat. He actually can get bored while batting. :laugh: Had a very lazy attitude towards the game too, as evidenced by how he got injured in 2011 post WC, when he and Gambhir should have really started to peak.

srbhkshk

International Captain
This is actually correct. Sehwag's average sans Zimbabwe and Bangladesh is 49.60, Hayden's is 48.24. Surprised but then I didn't follow Sehwag's career with the same kind of eagle eyeness compared to Hayden's.

Interesting that Sehwag's average goes up without the minmows.
He was a carefree guy and prone to taking the minnows lightly. (Actually called Bangladesh that in a press conference *in* Bangladesh)